Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Hi-Point carbine

Most folks that have one seem to speak highly of them, many folks that don't speak down about them simply because they are a Hi Point. A friend has one and I shot it, he likes it a lot, I think it's just OK. It doesn't really interest me and I can't get by its funky looks. If memory serves me correct even one of the Gun rags (Gun Tests?) gave it their approval as a great gun for the coin. If it's what you are looking for you can't go wrong.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

Wink Re: Hi-Point carbine

This is going to sound terrible but I have a high point and see no reason to take it down. The most I do is spray it with a little lithium grease and shoot it. If you are really worried about flood it wit some liquid wrench and wipe it off, that will remove all the fouling.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by brokeaton View Post
    This is going to sound terrible but I have a high point and see no reason to take it down. The most I do is spray it with a little lithium grease and shoot it. If you are really worried about flood it wit some liquid wrench and wipe it off, that will remove all the fouling.
    Yeah, that made me cringe!

Putting away a dirty firearm is like letting your kids play in the mud and then putting them to bed without having them wash up!

But that's just me!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Greene County)

Thumbs up Re: Hi-Point carbine

Thank you all for your input about the hi-point. As so often in life something else came up, ( a stoeger over/under) so now instead of a plinker I have a new sporting clays gun! So now I have to wait until the gun fund grows again.

(Westmoreland County)

I have no opinion on the highpoint never having owned one. My local dealer sells them and bought one for himself. He thinks it's a good value and coined it the "planet of the apes" gun.

There seems to be quite an interest in pistol caliber carbines but what I don't understand is that if one is willing to tote a round a long gun, why not have one with the ballistic advantage of a rifle cartridge?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    There seems to be quite an interest in pistol caliber carbines but what I don't understand is that if one is willing to tote a round a long gun, why not have one with the ballistic advantage of a rifle cartridge?
    I can think of several reasons.

For one, maybe someone interested in a 9mm carbine already has one or more handguns chambered in 9mm. If you don't have any rifles, or have rifles in other calibers that are more expensive to buy in quantity, but already shoot 9mm pistols then a 9mm carbine is attractive. In that case you're already buying some kind of cheap 9mm ammo for practice, so get the carbine and just buy a bit more.

For another there's the overpenetration risk, whether real or perceived. People who have neighbors close by might be more apprehensive about firing a rifle round in the house for defense than a pistol round.

And another, in the case of some carbines, you might be able to share the same magazine between the carbine and the pistol.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    I can think of several reasons.

For one, maybe someone interested in a 9mm carbine already has one or more handguns chambered in 9mm. If you don't have any rifles, or have rifles in other calibers that are more expensive to buy in quantity, but already shoot 9mm pistols then a 9mm carbine is attractive. In that case you're already buying some kind of cheap 9mm ammo for practice, so get the carbine and just buy a bit more.

For another there's the overpenetration risk, whether real or perceived. People who have neighbors close by might be more apprehensive about firing a rifle round in the house for defense than a pistol round.

And another, in the case of some carbines, you might be able to share the same magazine between the carbine and the pistol.
    Can't argue with economic realities as in "can't afford one".

However, giving up the ballistic advantage of a rifle cartridge for reasons such as magazine and caliber commonality IMHO is ill advised. Penetration concerns can be mitigated.

(Huntingdon County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Can't argue with economic realities as in "can't afford one".

However, giving up the ballistic advantage of a rifle cartridge for reasons such as magazine and caliber commonality IMHO is ill advised. Penetration concerns can be mitigated.
    I agree.

IMO, some pistol-caliber carbines aren't necessarily a bad idea- the Kel-Tec models fold, and can be had using just about any common handgun mag. So, you could have a 9mm Glock that shares ammo and mags with the carbine you keep in your trunk.

That said, I had a Hi Point carbine, and wish I would have never gotten rid of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12