Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bragging on my reloads ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave49 View Post
    Why not tell him you do not have a license to make ammo for others and you cannot continue to violate the law? If no such law exists, it should....LOL
    It's the same law that doesn't allow you to bake apple pies for neighbors. Good thing we have so many laws. Think of the apples.

Facetiousness aside, such a law unfortunately does exist. Type 6 FFL is required for manufacturing ammo and reloading components. Hits up both you backyard reloaders doing it for your buddies, and those casting for your buddies too.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave49 View Post
    Why not tell him you do not have a license to make ammo for others and you cannot continue to violate the law? If no such law exists, it should....LOL
    Type 6 FFL Licensed manufacturer of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition.

So guess to legal sell reloads a type 6 FFL would be needed.

guess I was too slow.

is it legal to give them away?
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post

Original Poster/Neko456 did not give them away. He received something of value in return for them.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Good question. I don't know the answer but would you be willing to be held responsible if something went wrong?

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

IF you are neither licensed nor insured as a reloader, you are taking an awful chance, even in giving them away. Even though your ammo may be perfect, he may use it improperly and that would be an opening for you to be in a world of liability and a legal bind as well.

Best - you explain to him that you value his friendship and would like to help him set up to enjoy the reloading and shooting as much as you do. Show him the threads here on newbie-reloading, help him to find a deal on a LEE 1000 or the Classic Turret press and gear. Offer to go over and help him set up a bench. Help him to source powder, primers and projectiles.

If that doesn't work, offer to help and coach him using your press and dies to load his own. Let him purchase primers, powder, and projectiles. And spend a Saturday teaching while he loads and learns. That should get him primed for the purchase of his own.

Really GOOD friends are hard to find, and virtually impossible to replace. My own stock of them seems to dwindle yearly. Cherish, but maybe instruct, too.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    I got a buddy bragging on my 9mm & 45acp reloads talking about how reliable and accurate they shoot. He has gotten the impression that i will supply him live rounds for his brass. I did that once but really I have brass up the wasooo, I don't want to get into that. I gave him a couple of boxes because he had bought used guns and needed ammo to test them. How do I tell him I'm not his ammo man? My reloads are mines.

Now he wants to learn how to reload maybe I can teach him, and he can feed his own guns. But he need his own supplies and equipment.
    Hey Neko,
    Everyone spends their time and money they way they want. If you spend the money to acquire the components and then load them ammo, then that is YOUR investment, not anyone elses. If your friend chooses not to save up his money or investment, then that is not your problem.
    Most times I take a new person out shooting, I end up supplying the ammo. The second trip, they get to bring their own. I have a friend now that keeps mentioning going shooting again but he is a little slow about buying some ammo despite me mentioning it. We still have not figured out a time for him to get to come.
    Forget all the law issues about FFL this or that reloading. Just because you were frugal and saved up ammo doesn't mean you have to share it with anyone.
    Ask him if he would like to share what's in his checking account?
    Smitty56

(Allegheny County)

'Good' friends that are also mooches. Hmm... I had some of those. Don't HAVE any of them any more.

Bullets aren't free. Reloading supplies and equipment aren't free. Tell him if he wants ammo you're low on "X" powder and "X" primers. They cost "X". If he wants to buy "X" powder and "X" primers you'll load his brass with the components he buys IF he helps. Since the equipment wasn't fucking free either, you get to load some for yourself too.

Don't like it? Ask Walmart if they are giving away any free ammo.

I've been abused righteously by "friends" in a few hobby's now and I learned to just not put out when the give to receive ratio got unfair. They push it and I just stop answering the phone. I may "need" a few good friends, but I don't need a mooch. And a good friend is not a mooch. Period.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; May 9th, 2011 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    'Good' friends that are also mooches. Hmm... I had some of those. Don't HAVE any of them any more.

Bullets aren't free. Reloading supplies and equipment aren't free. Tell him if he wants ammo you're low on "X" powder and "X" primers. They cost "X". If he wants to buy "X" powder and "X" primers you'll load his brass with the components he buys IF he helps. Since the equipment wasn't fucking free either, you get to load some for yourself too.

Don't like it? Ask Walmart if they are giving away any free ammo.

I've been abused righteously by "friends" in a few hobby's now and I learned to just not put out when the give to receive ratio got unfair. They push it and I just stop answering the phone. I may "need" a few good friends, but I don't need a mooch. And a good friend is not a mooch. Period.
    456 - Good argument but my friends don't take hints the walmart debate would be mute. "I hear you but you are not Walmart I've known you 30 years we are like brothers stop that Bs and grab 500 rounds out of the safe so we can go shooting with your selfish ammo hording a$$. Damn selfish bastard". I guess you gave a solution to there reverse phsyco play, tell them they are mooching and stop hanging out.

But I don't want to do that, I mooch when we fish sometimes, I guess I need to square that up, but how much does a worm cost. Do you guys have any friends left, being hard a$$s? Maybe i am a selfish bastard but I really feel like the hen that prepared for bad time and nobody helped me bake the bread and they all want to eat it now. Call me a SB but I seem to be in good company.

(Delaware County)

Neko,
    Your money is your money. My money is my money.
    I have friends that I no longer go out to dinner with because, for some reason or another, I ended up buying dinner. They would buy sometimes but it was always at a very advantageous time for them. When they bought, it was hamburgers, when I bought it was steaks.
    I enjoy my friends, it's just that some of them I avoid getting into situations where we split the check.
    Any friend that feels he has the right to pillage your money or ammo must be the guy that pulled you out of the desert firefight and saved your life while getting a few bullets of his own. If that's the case, you are going to just have to keep buying.

I would imagine the Navy Seals that just shot Bin Laden will never have to buy a drink in a military bar ever again. (the civilian bars will never know who they are)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast