Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Who will be going dove hunting this season?

Put me in the same category as Qtrborecrazy. Although not retired I can still carry enough ammo to miss the birds, just need to partner with some other fanatics.

Thanks,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by chalmitch View Post
    Put me in the same category as Qtrborecrazy. Although not retired I can still carry enough ammo to miss the birds, just need to partner with some other fanatics.

Thanks,
    chalmitch

I'm new to all of this so I really have no idea what I'm doing but I'd love to learn from those who do if anyone would be willing.

(Bucks County)

I will have to agree with the missing. BUt the cleaning is quite simple, the only meat on the dove are the breasts and it literally takes about a minute to clean them. We clean while we wait on the next flock, then at the end all u gotta do is walk home. I might be able to take a noob or two along with me this season. Remember to get your migratory bird liscens, its 3 bucks. I will need to know a little about your experiance in hunting or shooting to know that your safe. just pm me. sorry i cant take everyone.

(Luzerne County)

I hunt alot but never got into dove. Could someone explain a little on how it is done. What gear you need, where they are likely to be hiding, what ammo to use, when the season is.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by cadence2arms View Post
    I hunt alot but never got into dove. Could someone explain a little on how it is done. What gear you need, where they are likely to be hiding, what ammo to use, when the season is.
    I would love to know this, too. Thanks

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
    I would love to know this, too. Thanks
    Not alot to learn, if you have a shotgun you are on your way. Buy some dove loads from wal-mart, and some kind of seat, and a cheap set of camo if you don't have any already. Get some practice with some clay pigeons then hit the fields. Find a cut field with a treeline to sit near and try to find a dead tree. Doves are creatures of habit and like to fly to and from feeding and roosting sites using the same flyway. Drive around in the afternoons and watch for birds flying along treelines, field edges, etc. You'll be able to find flyways pretty easily. Also, if you frequent a field and always hear shots coming from a certain area find that area as someone knows its a flyway. Just don't move in on someone's hunt. Best time to hunt doves is from about 3:30 to sunset. Forget going right at noon, its the worst time to hunt doves because they usually aren't flying then.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Not alot to learn, if you have a shotgun you are on your way. Buy some dove loads from wal-mart, and some kind of seat, and a cheap set of camo if you don't have any already. Get some practice with some clay pigeons then hit the fields. Find a cut field with a treeline to sit near and try to find a dead tree. Doves are creatures of habit and like to fly to and from feeding and roosting sites using the same flyway. Drive around in the afternoons and watch for birds flying along treelines, field edges, etc. You'll be able to find flyways pretty easily. Also, if you frequent a field and always hear shots coming from a certain area find that area as someone knows its a flyway. Just don't move in on someone's hunt. Best time to hunt doves is from about 3:30 to sunset. Forget going right at noon, its the worst time to hunt doves because they usually aren't flying then.
    Thanks I'll be searching for my new dove hunting spot thanks for the info. +1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12