Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Explain lowers marked "multi cal" please.

Thanks to y'all,

To sum things up. A multi cal stripped lower may be used for a build in the calibers listed by Nate in #3 above.

It seems to me that the availability of AR specific mags in the caliber chosen is what drives the process. It would probably be prudent to purchase them first.

Not an issue to me. If I ever do decide to throw one together, it'll be in 5.56.

Thanks again for the education.

fritz
    Last edited by fritz1919; August 24th, 2016 at 09:19 PM.
    Obama. AYFKM?! / Pravda vit'azi.

(Armstrong County)

No problem, good luck with the build. Just remember if you stray to a different caliber from 556/300Blk, that the 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 each use different bolt faces too.

There are literally dozens of different cartridges for the AR15 out there.

(Allegheny County)

There could have been some sarcasm and politics behind the multi-cal markings as well...

In states like Mass where the fuzzy-headed latte-sipping liberals elected that lesbo-looking AG of theirs, markings could mean the difference in being banned - or not, based on name or named caliber. Like maybe calling your AK a WASR vs. an AKS or AKM-47...
    Or the ability to swap calibers by changing uppers and mags, like for Uzis, ARs, MACs, and maybe Stemples.

Other examples; in the 80's, after the 86 MG ban, Group Industries called their USA-made Uzi the Model HR4332;in dishonor of the Hughes-Rodino amendment that ended their run of select-fires for sale to us... It also had the .22/9mm/45ACP markings IIRC.
    Oly was another that poked the bear by calling their rifles PCRs during the Klinton ban - for Politically Correct Rifle.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

That sure doesn't look like a standard AR mag to me

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    There could have been some sarcasm and politics behind the multi-cal markings as well...

In states like Mass where the fuzzy-headed latte-sipping liberals elected that lesbo-looking AG of theirs, markings could mean the difference in being banned - or not, based on name or named caliber. Like maybe calling your AK a WASR vs. an AKS or AKM-47...
    Or the ability to swap calibers by changing uppers and mags, like for Uzis, ARs, MACs, and maybe Stemples.

Other examples; in the 80's, after the 86 MG ban, Group Industries called their USA-made Uzi the Model HR4332;in dishonor of the Hughes-Rodino amendment that ended their run of select-fires for sale to us... It also had the .22/9mm/45ACP markings IIRC.
    Oly was another that poked the bear by calling their rifles PCRs during the Klinton ban - for Politically Correct Rifle.
    Just speculating, but it might all come down to a liability thing too. Having one marked a specific caliber and a home build/re-build of a different caliber + somebody trying to shoot the marked caliber out of it may open the manufacturer up to liability?
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    It's a 7.62x39 AR mag, so definitely different from a 'standard' 5.56/.223 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    thats a dumb comment. do you poopoo 9mm ars because they dont use standard ar mags? other than 556 and 300bo every other caliber needs modified mags to function smoothly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12