Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Springfield M1A "Scout Squad" range report

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Guy View Post
    Ruggerio-The Scout Squad is very accurate when sighted in and bench rested. I regularly make hits with my trijicon 1-4 out to 200 yards that give me confidence to try the same shot on a hog if ever presented with such a shot. The 1-4 obviously isn't the most powerful optic either. I am not criticizing the OP as this was a new weapon to him that he is sighting in but the rifle will shoot much tighter than this. The iron sights are great on the rifle.

I paid about $200 for the stock from Springfield as I remember. I should have bought a nice stock from Freds for less.

No issues with barrel install or the sights. Rifle came from the factory just as it should.
    exactly my point, im did not intend to come off as if i were being critical of the shooter. the comparison was with the rifles and THAT rifle should not have the problems the o.p. is experiencing .

i really want one myself and was very envious at the range saturday watching two gentlemen shoot one next to me.

i know mark at the shop it was purchased at a bit and he is a fair and reasonable business owner and im sure would ship it back for the op to get repaired.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

The more you go out the better it will shoot. Thats not bad you were grouping 3 shot group fairly well. Then apparently you did some semi auto shooting.
    This is me when I 1st try to sight a rifle in I bench it to see what the rifle can do, I take the ME factor out. After zeroing the rifle I shoot it with Me behind it steady it with a barricade or cross limb/ad hoc at the end of the day I know the rifles good to go. I just have to catchup usually I can settle for something in between thats 2"-1.5" MOA, giving me something grow on.

Great rifle (a .308 Icon) and good review, Thanks!!
    Last edited by Neko456; August 1st, 2011 at 09:54 AM.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
    exactly my point, im did not intend to come off as if i were being critical of the shooter. the comparison was with the rifles and THAT rifle should not have the problems the o.p. is experiencing .

i really want one myself and was very envious at the range saturday watching two gentlemen shoot one next to me.

i know mark at the shop it was purchased at a bit and he is a fair and reasonable business owner and im sure would ship it back for the op to get repaired.
    Were you at PGL183 on Sunday with a bunch of Ruger handguns? If so, that was me with the M1A.
    Last edited by amstel78; August 1st, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    The more you go out the better it will shoot. Thats not bad you were grouping 3 shot group fairly well. Then apparently you did some semi auto shooting.
    This is me when I 1st try to sight a rifle in I bench it to see what the rifle can do, I take the ME factor out. After zeroing the rifle I shoot it with Me behind it steady it with a barricade or cross limb/ad hoc at the end of the day I know the rifles good to go. I just have to catchup usually I can settle for something in between thats 2"-1.5" MOA, giving me something grow on.

Great rifle (a .308 Icon) and good review, Thanks!!
    FWIW, the better grouped shots were fired from a prone bench position. I was resting the rifle and my left hand on a small soft bag that I took to the range with me. The rest was fired free-hand. Ammo used was also surplus RG and not match stuff.

amstel, good stuff. I just had a VERY hard time deciding between a Scout Sqaud and something else. long story short I went with an Arsenal SGL21 because I could get the complete package. Rifle, optics, bipod, spare mags and, some ammo for about the same as a Scout Sqaud would've been by itself. Not to mention x39 is cheaper than x51. Alowing me to hit the range more often. I dont know what it is about the M1A's though, the nostalgia, the look, .308 nato. Believe me, your thread is not helping my itch. Sorry to hear about the canted sight but, as we all know Springfields CS is tops and they'll take care of you. I feel ya though, you pay $1500+ for a rifle only to have to send it back
    Again, beautiful rifle non the less, enjoy.
    Last edited by brownman; August 5th, 2011 at 03:22 PM.
    and to the dust you shall return

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    Were you at PGL183 on Sunday with a bunch of Ruger handguns? If so, that was me with the M1A.
    no, i was at the range neer french creek early saturday til abot 1pm. i had only one pistol and three rifles.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by brownman View Post
    amstel, good stuff. I just had a VERY hard time deciding between a Scout Sqaud and something else. long story short I went with an Arsenal SGL21 because I could get the complete package. Rifle, optics, bipod, spare mags and, some ammo for about the same as a Scout Sqaud would've been by itself. Not to mention x39 is cheaper than x51. Alowing me to hit the range more often. I dont know what it is about the M1A's though, the nostalgia, the look, .308 nato. Believe me, your thread is not helping my itch. Sorry to hear about the canted sight but, as we all know Springfields CS is tops and they'll take care of you. I feel ya though, you pay $1500+ for a rifle only to have to send it back
    Again, beautiful rifle non the less, enjoy.
    Congrats on the Arsenal. I've only heard good things about their AKs. I currently have a Romak 991 hi-cap built on an OOW receiver. I sold a SAR-1 that was never fired in order to get the funds for this rifle. I'm thinking about buying another AK, but perhaps will spring for something like yours down the road.

As for the M1A, I did end up sending it back to SAI for repair. Their customer service is very good. I hope their warranty repair service is just as good. Too bad their QC is spotty though. I wasn't crazy about sending a new rifle back less than a week after having it, but hopefully they'll get me squared away and I'll finally have a rifle worthy of the price-tag she carries.

(Clearfield County)

I have an M1A Bush rifle. I think it is an older model that is similar to the Scout, but I'm not sure. The Bush rifle does not have the rail on top.

Ran across this neat slo-mo video of a Bush/Scout rifle being fired. Go to full screen and watch the barrel flex. Pretty neat.

http://youtu.be/7m5GG2q7vvo
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

(Berks County)

First of all that is a beautiful example of what I consider to be the best battle rifle ever made. Everybody always loves the 14 platform and rightfully so there is nothing about the gun that you can get all wrapped up about.

SA service is great, I had to send my 81' NM back to them and they fixed it quickly and also threw in some extras. The paid to have it shipped to them and back to me so I really can't complain one bit.

I just want to address something real quick about accuracy. The 14 is not nor will ever be a bedded bolt gun. Semis have moving parts that spring into action when the bullet is fired, therefore do not get all wrapped up with a 1 @ 100 obsession. Talk to anyone who has "been there and done that" and they will tell you a good rifle shoots 3" don't give up a good rifle because its not something you thought it was.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by sksmith75 View Post
    I have an M1A Bush rifle. I think it is an older model that is similar to the Scout, but I'm not sure. The Bush rifle does not have the rail on top.

Ran across this neat slo-mo video of a Bush/Scout rifle being fired. Go to full screen and watch the barrel flex. Pretty neat.

http://youtu.be/7m5GG2q7vvo
    Great video; a perfect demonstration of barrel harmonics in action.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12