Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Pistol "optics" recommendation for S&W M&P 9MM

Free - I'll reply to your last sentences. I would leave it stock, any dot sight you put on it now will probably be either passe or be very outdated in 10 years the way technology advances so fast. Plain old iron sights have worked for how many years now?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Yes - I*ve used one and almost went that route early in my transition to pistol-mounted optics. But then I was given the advice I paraphrased above - it*s a gimmick that results in training scars.

Exactly my point where you mention those struggling being able to cheat they training and improve instantly with the ACSS Vulcan *after one session**
    No doubt - 100% it will accelerate the *perceived progress* of a shooter new to optics on their pistol. But the training scars aren*t worth it - lots to undo if they desire to improve. I would avoid them if serious about training. If just wanting to plink, it probably doesn*t matter.
    OK, so what are these training scars you saw when you used one? The point is to get on target. Having a circle to let you know that your sight picture is off is not cheating. It certainly doesn't build bad habits because once you get a feel for the reticle, you get on target faster. And every RDS setup is different. Just because you're comfortable with your gun's setup does not mean you can pick up my gun with the same RDS and shoot the same way because our eyes are different. Until you've adjusted the sight for you, you will struggle just like anyone else. The ACSS reticle gives you an advantage in that you at least know that the chevron is centered. You still have to do the work to make the shot.

(Allegheny County)

Maybe… maybe one time it could be useful is weak-hand, injured/ etc. scenarios where one might be on the ground urban-prone/taking shots under cars and stuff.. relying on that type of training.

But, for “new to pistol optics” shooters plinking away from a bench/lane, I’d steer them away.

To each their own though! 🥸

(Montgomery County)

If you have the CORE model, this uses an RMR plate

https://www.academy.com/p/holosun-hs...H0QcyZR0dU140&

Better than an RMR because you don't have to uninstall to change the battery. These optics are known to be very durable. I have several.

If they aren't optics ready, just get a new pistol. Not worth spending $200 on a cut for a $350 pistol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12