Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Court House question...

I have always left my gun in the car when entering the courthouse, but it still amazes me how people have such attitudes about firearms.

The concept of people like us carrying guns actually making people like them safer from potential attacks is totally lost on their sheeple minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1911 View Post
    I have always left my gun in the car when entering the courthouse, but it still amazes me how people have such attitudes about firearms.

The concept of people like us carrying guns actually making people like them safer from potential attacks is totally lost on their sheeple minds.
    I agree. If I were looking to shoot up a room full of people, I would MUCH prefer that the only armed folks were 1 deputy and maybe a cop waiting to testify.

It really interferes with the plans of terrorists and disgruntled loners to have an unknown percentage of armed bystanders and armed potential victims. Much simpler to gun down people who you are sure are unarmed.

(Monroe County)

oh boy. i have to go to the court house today to drop off one of those character reference requirements for an LTCF, you know, the one thats not part of the UFA...

anyways, I was contemplating not carrying in there but seeing this thread gave me some courage. I'm not walking across town unarmed because the folks at the sheriffs office frown on bringing my gun with me into the court house. I'll report back later and let you guys know how it went.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    So I had to take care of some business at the courthouse yesterday. When I got to the door I told the man at the metal detector I had to check a firearm, he looked at me funny, then I said again I have to check a firearm. He looked at me a little confused with a "where is it" kind of look, like I was just gonna walk in there with a gun in my hand.

When its cold I generally don't OC. I'm one of those people that if the weather warrants OC, I'll OC, if not, then I'll throw the jacket on. I was CCing at the time.

Well he said upholster it an unload it... which I did. It felt weird as he sat there starring at me. Another man walked up an asked why I carry that. I told him that I carry it everywhere... he kind of glared at me. Then asked if I had a permit for it... again I said yes, went thru the detector while the other guy put the gun in the lockbox, gave me the key and I filled out the book.

I gave the man asking me questions a flyer, and went about my business. Is it just me or do they seem to make it as painstaking and humiliating as possible to check a firearm at the courthouse? When Greg and I checked our guns at the State Capital last April, we didn't have nearly as much trouble as I did yesterday.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
    Ummmm, just one question. Do they provide a clearing barrel to unload you weapon in or anything else to stop an accidental discharge?
    Last edited by chrisjames_71; February 20th, 2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: made two questions into one

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    So I had to take care of some business at the courthouse yesterday. When I got to the door I told the man at the metal detector I had to check a firearm, he looked at me funny, then I said again I have to check a firearm. He looked at me a little confused with a "where is it" kind of look, like I was just gonna walk in there with a gun in my hand.

When its cold I generally don't OC. I'm one of those people that if the weather warrants OC, I'll OC, if not, then I'll throw the jacket on. I was CCing at the time.

Well he said upholster it an unload it... which I did. It felt weird as he sat there starring at me. Another man walked up an asked why I carry that. I told him that I carry it everywhere... he kind of glared at me. Then asked if I had a permit for it... again I said yes, went thru the detector while the other guy put the gun in the lockbox, gave me the key and I filled out the book.

I gave the man asking me questions a flyer, and went about my business. Is it just me or do they seem to make it as painstaking and humiliating as possible to check a firearm at the courthouse? When Greg and I checked our guns at the State Capital last April, we didn't have nearly as much trouble as I did yesterday.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
    I'm assuming this was the Franklin county courthouse? If so, I'd encourage you to contact Sheriff Anthony and share your experience and concerns. In the time since my hearing, I've established a very good relationship with him, and I know he would be genuinely interested in knowing about this. I'd be happy to discuss this privately and help you make a short list of relevant points to make if you'd like.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...oe-county.html

I said before I was going to carry into the court house today so the link is to post. Just giving the update instead of jacking the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    Ummmm, just one question. Do they provide a clearing barrel to unload you weapon in or anything else to stop an accidental discharge?
    Last time I was there...no. Which is why the Sheriff agreed that it should not be unloaded, but simply placed into the lock box. He was present because I had scheduled a meeting with him which was before the rest of the courthouse was open to the public. I basically suggested how the procedure should proceed, and the Sheriff indicated to the Deputy and security staff present that my suggestions were acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Last time I was there...no. Which is why the Sheriff agreed that it should not be unloaded, but simply placed into the lock box. He was present because I had scheduled a meeting with him which was before the rest of the courthouse was open to the public. I basically suggested how the procedure should proceed, and the Sheriff indicated to the Deputy and security staff present that my suggestions were acceptable.
    2nd time tonight that I agree with you!! I guess the staff forgot all about that. Great safety procedures they have there. No clearing barrel, no unloading for me.

Kudos Greg.. That just made me laugh!!!
    Last edited by chrisjames_71; February 20th, 2009 at 09:50 PM.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    He asked me if it was loaded... To which I responded in the affirmative (Like I carry an unloaded gun ) But no... they didnt provide a clearing barrel. I kind of just did it right there on the table. In retrospect it is a key concern and probably why I felt a little awkward unloading it.

(Franklin County)

I too visited the Franklin county courthouse today. Upon declaring I needed to check a firearm, the following is an approximate account of the exchange occurred:

Security: Do you have it on you?
    Me: Yes (I had a jacket on today).
    Security: Show it to me.
    Me: [pulled back my jacket to reveal my sidearm]
    Security: Hand it to me.
    Me: I'm not comfortable with you handling my loaded firearm.
    Security: Then you unload it.
    Me: Do you have a clearing barrel so I can unload safely?
    Security: No.
    Me: The last time I was here, the Sheriff didn't require that I unload it, and he allowed me to place it directly into the locker.
    Security: I'm not letting you come through here [meaning the metal dectector]. You can take it back to your car, or unload it here, since you're familiar with it.

I unloaded the firearm, and then handed it to security (NOT a deputy) who placed it, my magazines, and extra round in the locker. I also then handed him my knife, which he placed in an envelope, but did not place in a locker. I know they consider the key the "receipt" for the firearm, but I was not issued a receipt for the knife, and since it was not in the locker, I don't consider the key a receipt for that item. I saw the Sheriff upstairs in a courtroom (while court was in session), but when I stopped by to speak to him before leaving, he had just left.

I will be back at the courthouse again tomorrow, for a longer time than I was today. I hope to speak to him then, and if not, I will follow up via e-mail or phone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast