Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Glock Gen 2 hasn’t been fired since 1991. Safe to Carry?

Carson is correct that there was a recall. Mine went back way back then. It wasn*t a safety issue or a function issue. If memory serves me right it was of a durability issue. Glock armorer here as well and I say shoot it after some general maintenance and evaluation. If you*re nervous I*ll trade you a lnib gen 5 straight up. Nice find btw.

(Lancaster County)

Reach out to Glock for any open recall issues. If it's good to go, strip it down yourself and go over it. Very easy to disassemble...

(Allegheny County)

If it has the black internals which it probably does don*t send back to Glock for upgrade, those gen 2 guns in un molested condition have gone up in collector value, especially if it*s complete with box, correct mags, mag loader, cleaning rod, brush and manual. If you want to upgrade do it yourself and keep the original black internals, those are highly desirable as well.
    Today was a good day!

(Bucks County)

I had a March 1988 manufactured G19 which I sent to Glock for the upgrade in 2012. I we t over it with a fine tooth comb before I send it in. They called me and told me that it had a cracked frame, I know for a fact that was bullshit, but they would not send a gun back to me without replacing the frame and replaced the frame with a Gen 3 against my objections.

So they sent me the gun back to a dealer and I had to have a PICS done because the S/N changed.
    Left me a bad taste int he mouth and I sold all Glocks except my G26.
    Don*t send it in. Get the parts and replace yourself. Its EASY
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    I had a March 1988 manufactured G19 which I sent to Glock for the upgrade in 2012. I we t over it with a fine tooth comb before I send it in. They called me and told me that it had a cracked frame, I know for a fact that was bullshit, but they would not send a gun back to me without replacing the frame and replaced the frame with a Gen 3 against my objections.

So they sent me the gun back to a dealer and I had to have a PICS done because the S/N changed.
    Left me a bad taste int he mouth and I sold all Glocks except my G26.
    Don*t send it in. Get the parts and replace yourself. Its EASY
    Sending the gun back to the dealer was the icing on the BS cake, a gun going to a manufacturer for repair can be sent out and received back by a non-FFL even a replacement frame with new S/N...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Carson is correct that there was a recall. Mine went back way back then. It wasn*t a safety issue or a function issue. If memory serves me right it was of a durability issue. Glock armorer here as well and I say shoot it after some general maintenance and evaluation. If you*re nervous I*ll trade you a lnib gen 5 straight up. Nice find btw.
    Here is a cut and paste from the letter I received years ago:

Dear Glock Armorer:

Glock, Inc. announces a production change of the firing pin safety system. This new firing pin safety system has been installed in all production Glock pistols since November, 1991. A voluntary upgrade is being offered to maintain the Glock tradition of ensuring that all of our pistols are up to the latest standards in 21st century Glock technology.

Most importantly, the components of the new firing pin safety system are not interchangeable with the components of the old system and Glock will always strive toward maintaining this feature of interchangeability while working to ensure that no Glock pistol falls into obsolescence. This upgrade is being offered in keeping with Glock's commitment to safety and to ensure future interchangeability.

The upgraded firing pin safety system consists of: the firing pin, firing pin safety spring, firing pin safety, the extractor, the spring loaded bearing and the trigger bar. The upgraded system is applicable only to Glock pistols which fall within the following serial number ranges:
    Glock 17 - alpha prefix AA-WF
    Glock 19 - alpha prefixes through WJ
    Glock 20 - alpha prefixes through WW
    Glock 21 - alpha prefixes through XL
    Glock 22 - alpha prefixes through YA
    Glock 23 - alpha prefixes through SK

The upgraded firing pin safety system has a new surface finish making it nearly 100% saltwater corrosion resistant. Also, after rigorous and extensive testing, the new system proves to be more durable and has a longer useful life. Here, as always, Glock is working toward maintaining its standard of perfection.
    We at Glock, Inc. are preparing the logistic support both inhouse and in the field to ensure that the upgrade transition is as orderly - and as professional as possible. The upgrade can be accomplished by any Glock Certified Armorer in only a few minutes. The transition to the upgraded system will begin on August 1, 1992 or as soon as practically possible. In the meantime, further information in regard to the upgrade transition schedule can be obtained by calling 1-800-828-2781. You will be notified accordingly in the future, however, in the interim, we ask for your patience and cooperation.
    Enclosed please find a business reply card. We ask that you designate on the card, one armorer in your department or field office to be the liaison with Glock, Inc. for this upgrade program.

It always has been and continues to be our privilege to serve you. We will do all we can to accomplish this upgrade smoothly, expeditiously and at no cost to you. We trust this will cause as little inconvenience as possible.

Glock, Inc.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    If it has the black internals which it probably does don*t send back to Glock for upgrade, those gen 2 guns in un molested condition have gone up in collector value, especially if it*s complete with box, correct mags, mag loader, cleaning rod, brush and manual. If you want to upgrade do it yourself and keep the original black internals, those are highly desirable as well.
    Interesting. I upgraded my Glock 17 & 19 and probably still have those parts. But I have no idea where.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Sending the gun back to the dealer was the icing on the BS cake, a gun going to a manufacturer for repair can be sent out and received back by a non-FFL even a replacement frame with new S/N...
    True insofar as Federal law but a S/N change on a handgun may require an FFL by some states.

Had a similar experience with Smith and Wesson. According to their agent, SW's legal department interpreted 18 PA CSA §6111 as requiring a local PA FFL to act as the transfer agent when the S/N changed.
    IANAL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12