Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Is this accurate shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverPA View Post
    I thought I made that clear. It has to be me because of the improvements over time. I use the iron sights and focusing is a challenge. Since using my reading glasses I have been doing a lot better. I am tempted to go to the optometrists and ask him to make me glasses designed just for shooting. I don't know if there are such things.
    Front sight....front sight.....front sight.

Did I mention front sight?
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

While putting all your rounds in 6" at 10 yds will probably get the job done in a SD situation, if you pay careful attention to the basics, (sight picture, trigger pull, etc), you should see improvement. Take your time.

Have you tried shooting it from a solid rest at that distance? Who knows. Maybe it is the gun.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    While putting all your rounds in 6" at 10 yds will probably get the job done in a SD situation, if you pay careful attention to the basics, (sight picture, trigger pull, etc), you should see improvement. Take your time.

Have you tried shooting it from a solid rest at that distance? Who knows. Maybe it is the gun.
    I'd second that. Probably not a bad idea to shoot it from a rest and see what the results are as a baseline and then also have someone else shoot it the same. All guns have different capabilities, some like different ammo, some it's a matter of getting better sights that work better for the shooter, some it might be the trigger.

Last time I shot a Para Ordinance Match 45, I shot one inch groups at 15 yards. But that seemed to be a finely tuned gun so probably most 1911's are not going to shoot that well.

To me I'd say at 10 yards shooting under no pressure from time, you should probably aim for 3 inch groups. A lot of it might be tuning the gun to you or having your technique looked at.

A state champion IDPA shooter just reminded me this week when shooting at further distances getting the front sight post lined up and in focus is most important and the rear sights and target should be slightly blurred.

(Chester County)

Try shooting at a bullseye target if you are not already. The smaller the black the more accurate it will make you.

This forces you to concentrate on sight picture and gives you a much better idea of things like trigger control, flinch, etc.

At 10 yards most 1911s are accurate enough out of the box to put it all in 1 hole (albeit a relatively large one).

(Adams County)

the glasses throws a different light on things. some times they can help some times not.i had a lot of trouble learning the 1911. i shot alot then learned to reload and shot a lot more then one day it clicked and i could hit just about anything. now i know for shure i don't have that edge anymore.

(York County)

years ago i had a shooting buddy that thought his S&W 686 was the schnizz. he could put 6 shots into about 3" at 25 yards with it. i showed up with a ruger blackhawk one day and put 6 into an inch. then i started shooting bumblebees on the wing.

(Bucks County)

The unofficial rule of thumb for an "accurate" defense pistol is one inch per 10 feet. Most gun mags report their groups at 25 feet and 2.5 inches (or less) is OK.

Your shooting at 30 feet so you would like a 3inch group. To find out if it is you or the pistol make some dummy rounds (or have a friend do it). Load an empty case with just the bullet (no powder or primer) and spray paint it so it won't get mixed up. When your at the range put one or two with your regular bullets, close your eyes, load the magazine, and place it in the pistol. Then open your eyes. You won't know when the pistol will fire or just drop the hammer on a dummy.

Practice a lot this way get so when it so when the hammer drops on a dummy you still have a perfect sight picture on the target. Just the hammer dropped.

This can be rather sobering........especially when you've been shooting a lot. You can instantly tell if you have a flinch. When you pull the trigger and notice your pistol is pointed somewhere else you have a problem. But it is an awesome feeling when the hammer drops and you see your still concentrating on the bull, on target, and the pistol doesn't move.

This also works for revolvers. Just load 4 in the cylinder in random places. Don't look and spin the cylinder before you close it.

Also, like someone else mentioned......For 30 feet I would shoot at a one inch (or less) bullseye. Trying to shoot 2 inch groups at a 10 inch target doesn't work.
    Last edited by Delkal; May 16th, 2014 at 06:49 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

First you need to set a goal and define for yourself your attainable level of accuracy and go from there. Do you want to be as accurate as an IDPA shooter, or strictly good enough for self defense, or how about hitting like an expert level Bullseye competitor?

Go back to the basics and practice them in as precise a manner as possible. Yeah, practice makes perfect, but only if the practice is perfectly executed! Otherwise it only reinforces bad habits.

Fortunately for us shooters the basics to good marksmanship apply regardless of the "style we choose. Go to bullseyepistol.com and find and read the U.S. Army Pistol Marksmanship Guide. Pay special attention to Chap 1.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    First you need to set a goal and define for yourself your attainable level of accuracy and go from there. Do you want to be as accurate as an IDPA shooter, or strictly good enough for self defense, or how about hitting like an expert level Bullseye competitor?

Go back to the basics and practice them in as precise a manner as possible. Yeah, practice makes perfect, but only if the practice is perfectly executed! Otherwise it only reinforces bad habits.

Fortunately for us shooters the basics to good marksmanship apply regardless of the "style we choose. Go to bullseyepistol.com and find and read the U.S. Army Pistol Marksmanship Guide. Pay special attention to Chap 1.
    I look at marksmanship as a never ending journey. I am noticeably more accurate with all my guns than I was 2 years ago (dramatically more so than 10 years ago). I consider myself a decent shot but not the best I can be. The thing is, I don't think I'll ever get to the best I can be. The more I practice the incremental gains get smaller but they are there. As I get older and my body changes (eyesight and other old man syndrome issues) I'll need to work even hard to maintain and improve. The good part is that I enjoy it. If you enjoy shooting, practice is no longer work.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Delaware County)

A decent 1911 should shoot one ragged hole at that distance. Keep shooting, you'll get there.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast