Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Default Re: Smith Shields Exploding While Shooting

^^ beat me too it casting would be the way to go if you suspect trouble but I highly doubt there is any. There are hundreds of thousands of Shields in the hands of responsible gun owners and only a few reported issues with not much proof to what really happened.

Hey I'm looking for another if you want too see it cheap.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    I think you hit the nail directly on the head. I read a while back that S&W had made a business decision that it was cheaper to cut inspections and just deal with the problems it created. Not sure when that occurred, but noticed the results quite a ways back.
    Sounds like Smith and Wesson adopted Six Sigma concepts?

Inspections are considered "extra processing" and falls under one of the seven forms of waste. Instead of continually inspecting for defects, Six Sigma says to go back and fix the problem so that inspections are no longer necessary altogether. Put simply, do it right the first time.

What I'm saying is (after reading every post in this thread), it seems more or less an ammo/user problem. All the "steel gun" lovers should look around see how many times people have blown up M1 Garands.

Bill
    Last edited by paplinker22; February 1st, 2015 at 12:20 PM.

My two cents... (1) I own a 9mm S&W Shield and trust using it to defend mine and my families lives on a daily basis. This is my go to home defense and carry conceal piece. It matches my situation perfectly. I have put over a 1,000 rounds through it, have cleaned it after each use and have not had one issue. (2) 99 percent of the 1,000 or so rounds were the typical WWB 115g FMJ product purchased at Wally World. In fact, have been using this same ammo in my other 9mm pistols with never an issue, never. Anyway, this thread is a good one from a general informational awareness perspective. I will be paying more attention to the polymer frame during cleanings, won't use +P ammo and will watch the WWB ammo for size inconsistencies when loading the magazines.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

Bumping this because it was linked to another recent thread. I am wondering if the poster (GWCustoms) ever got his gun back from S&W, or they offered a replacement. I hate loose ends.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213