Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: radios

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: radios

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I posted on their page two questions. 1. I see absolutely no monthly charges but I hear there is a yearly charge per radio is that true and 2. if power and internet go down these won't work correct.
    Within a few minutes my post appears to be gone - lol.

I purchase a couple BAOFENG radios a few years back but talk about confusing and not user friendly - lol. At one of our rallies years ago I had another member program them for me for the day, so I have one channel in there I guess! I always thought I was a fairly intelligent guy until I tried to work one of these. Plus, I hate reading and instructions so.........................
    If you can type into a basic table in Excel, you can easily program those radios. Chirp is super simple…

I had some perceived aversion to trying it, then once I did I was surprised I felt that way. It’ll take you 30seconds

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    If you can type into a basic table in Excel, you can easily program those radios. Chirp is super simple*

I had some perceived aversion to trying it, then once I did I was surprised I felt that way. It*ll take you 30seconds
    It's only super simple if you know what the numbers are and what they mean. You don't just buy the radio, download chirp and viola, you're off and running. And once it's programmed, if I want to just enter a one time freq from the keypad on my Kenwood, I can't figure it out without referring to the manual.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    It's only super simple if you know what the numbers are and what they mean. You don't just buy the radio, download chirp and viola, you're off and running. And once it's programmed, if I want to just enter a one time freq from the keypad on my Kenwood, I can't figure it out without referring to the manual.
    I literally just bought the radios, downloaded Chirp, and was off and running. That’s all it takes. Oh… you need to charge & insert a battery. 🤓

You can even download local pre-made files to upload with all of the local frequencies, FRS, GMRS, etc…. Not sure it gets much easier? There are some options like display names and colors, or locking out so you can’t accidentally transmit in police/EMS Frew…. But you don’t need any of that to be up and running. A 30sec search of YouTube can teach you those additional anyway..

If you want to input a specific frequency, just key it in… Like using your mobile phone, but 4less digits! lol

You can do this! We believe in you!

Homing pigeons.
    FJB

I have the same profiles written to my 888s as my uv5r's. 888s are simple channel radios I can just grab a pair off the dock and head to the shop or coop. Wife has one in the kitchen so she can ping me if she needs. Sure phone works but nothing easier than PTT.
    iAnal

(Delaware County)

You can download the Zello app on your phone for the same affect and there are 100s of established channels you can join.
    Some charge a fee, some do not charge to join or you can create your own channel.
    You make your channel public or private by invitation only.
    They work everywhere you hsve a phone signal.
    Even in the habor tunnels in Bsltimore !

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    I literally just bought the radios, downloaded Chirp, and was off and running. That*s all it takes. Oh* you need to charge & insert a battery. ��

You can even download local pre-made files to upload with all of the local frequencies, FRS, GMRS, etc*. Not sure it gets much easier? There are some options like display names and colors, or locking out so you can*t accidentally transmit in police/EMS Frew*. But you don*t need any of that to be up and running. A 30sec search of YouTube can teach you those additional anyway..

If you want to input a specific frequency, just key it in* Like using your mobile phone, but 4less digits! lol

You can do this! We believe in you!
    Chit, first time I tried it, I couldn't even get a com port recognized.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Chit, first time I tried it, I couldn't even get a com port recognized.
    Yeah, it took me a few tries to get it working, too. Simple tech meets advanced tech.
    iAnal

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Yeah, it took me a few tries to get it working, too. Simple tech meets advanced tech.
    But once you got it going, how was it?

(Cumberland County)

I gave up on them a while ago. They sit in the gun room now waiting for the zombie apocalypse and me hoping the channel that another member programed in years ago at a rally works - lol!
    Chirp, burp, who knows, someday maybe I'll try again - lol.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast