Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Jap rifle

(Allegheny County)

Question Jap rifle

my uncle was a military policeman in Japan in 1946 and 47. he brought me a rifle he took out of a factory.I played with a lot when I was a kid, but it was never fired. I dug it out to show my grandson and when I caulked it the knob on the back of the bolt flew across the room,it was a good thing I didn't get my teeth knocked out. My question is, who can I send the bolt to and have it checked out ? I don't think I will be on the right side of the grass very long, and I would like to shoot it a few times. You fellows of always been helpful with my questions, and I really appreciate your answers. Joe

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Jap rifle

This is very strange. I assume you are talking about an Arisaka rifle and they are a battle proven design that doesn't just fly apart when you open it. My only guess is the the bolt shroud was not screwed on more than one turn but if it was the bolt should not fit in the rifle? Or, equally unlikely, the rear of the firing pin broke when you cocked it?

Find all of the parts and post some pictures. Then compare the parts to what they should look like and find out how to reassemble the bolt.

(Lebanon County)

More details as to what it actually is would be helpful....but im guessing a type 99. Id further guess one towards the end of the line, by which time almost anything related to quality and quality control was thrown out the window.
    I wouldn't even consider firing it.....but again thats based entirely on me speculating what it actually is.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    More details as to what it actually is would be helpful....but im guessing a type 99. Id further guess one towards the end of the line, by which time almost anything related to quality and quality control was thrown out the window.
    I wouldn't even consider firing it.....but again thats based entirely on me speculating what it actually is.
    Last ditch production popc1.gif

(York County)

Well, it is more than likely not a big issue. The biggest problem is finding someone educated on these rifles. Lots of *speculation* and *i heard this one story about* guys throwing around misinformation. If you need help, let me know. Im actually fairly knowledgeable on these rifles.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Jap rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    Well, it is more than likely not a big issue. The biggest problem is finding someone educated on these rifles. Lots of *speculation* and *i heard this one story about* guys throwing around misinformation. If you need help, let me know. Im actually fairly knowledgeable on these rifles.
    hi, I sure am glad you responded to my inquiry. as soon as I figure out how to post a picture of it, I will do it. I played with it so much when I was a kid and it worked so well until this bold issue happened. It's never been fired, I think. I received the rifle on Sunday when I was seven years old, Monday when I got home from school my obsessive-compulsive mother took a screwdriver in pride the dust cover off and threw it away thinking that would make it safe and wouldn't be able to fire. So hang in there I will try to upload a picture for you or I could just bite the bullet and mail the rifle to you. Joe
    Last edited by joeyj; May 30th, 2024 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling

(Lehigh County)

Japanese Arisakas are very strong actions, according to the very experienced gentleman who wrote "Ordnance Went Up Front." However- if it has a fixed rear sight, it is probably a "last-ditch" rifle, built near the end of the war when the Japanese had little in the way of raw materials. For these rifles, metallurgy and worksmanship is suspect. Another way to tell if it's a last ditch rifle is that the rear of the safety knob on the bolt is not knurled and shows the weld. Many, many gun writers over the years have cautioned against shooting these end-of-the-war rifles. I'm passing along their knowledge....I have more than a few Arisakas and reload for them (7.7 and 6.5) and shoot them often. Over the last 55 years or so, I've been a cautious shooter- and it has paid off.

(Allegheny County)

hi, I'm between a rock and a hard place. #1. is I can send the steel do you for your evaluation, but it looks good to me. #2. are there bolts available for this rifle ? #3. Should I take it to the scrap yard, they can recycle the steel and it might end up as a bumper on a Toyota ?
    My email address is " joemal16@verizon.net" email me if you don't mind because it's a lot simpler than going through this site.