Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: To intervene or to Not intervene, that is the question...

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsBarking View Post
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    "A stitch intime saves nine."

(Bucks County)

The only thing necessary for a Chad to end up in the clink is taking irreversible action in a situation he knows nothing about.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Walk away until it becomes your (direct) problem seems to be the proper mantra these days. Also known as MYODB

(Bucks County)

While reading this thread, this joke keeps popping into my mind:

A boy was eating a big chocolate bar on a bench when an old man sat down beside him. The old man looks over at the little boy and says, "you know eating all that chocolate isn't good for you, right."

The boy responds, "well my grandpa lived to be 104 years old!"

"Oh yeah," says the old man, "did he eat a bunch of chocolate like you?"

"No," said the little boy, "he minded his own f'n business."

(Delaware County)

Many years ago, well before shall issue, I was driving home on Christmas Eve. At a red light, a guy was trying to drag a young lady into his pickup. He was being pretty violent about it and I guess my Momma raised me wrong, but I wasn’t going to let that happen. So I got out and made it clear that if she didn’t want to get in the truck then she wasn’t going to. Dude turns to me and reaches behind his back. I recall thinking to myself damn! I’m dead. Turns out it was his wallet and he wanted to show me a firefighter ID. But it is a feeling I’ll never forget.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by staylo View Post
    I*m sitting here thinking of my 18-year-old daughter being attacked, and hoping to God that the extent of people acting doesn*t amount to them just standing around with their freaking phones out so they can post it on their social media for clicks.
    In my 70 years and traveling 48 states to some of the worst areas, I've never turned away from somebody who needed help whether they were in an altercation especially if it was a disparity of force situation or an issue on the road. When my time comes it comes.

(Bucks County)

Just watched a video on Twitter of someone who couldn*t swim drowning. Literally next to a log large enough to hold onto and float. He couldn*t grab it. In same sequence a guy jumps in to help and then I ended up watching 2 people drown as the original guy took the other one down with him.

A couple of years ago I swam pretty far out into the Atlantic Ocean to tow back to shore a little girl on a floaty device who got caught in the wind and kept getting blown further out. After my push/pull swim back who I thought was her mom is thanking me profusely. Turns out she was the aunt, also had a little toddler with her by herself and couldn*t leave him alone.

Tons of people ok to just watch her go.

Unless it*s someone I know, not jumping in to rescue a grown adult drowning. And most likely will stay the hell away from the BS nonsense going down in stores, restaurants, parking lots, etc.

(Delaware County)

I am with Free here. Unless it’s a child, I am minding my business.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    Just watched a video on Twitter of someone who couldn*t swim drowning. Literally next to a log large enough to hold onto and float. He couldn*t grab it. In same sequence a guy jumps in to help and then I ended up watching 2 people drown as the original guy took the other one down with him.

A couple of years ago I swam pretty far out into the Atlantic Ocean to tow back to shore a little girl on a floaty device who got caught in the wind and kept getting blown further out. After my push/pull swim back who I thought was her mom is thanking me profusely. Turns out she was the aunt, also had a little toddler with her by herself and couldn*t leave him alone.

Unless it*s someone I know, not jumping in to rescue a grown adult drowning. And most likely will stay the hell away from the BS nonsense going down in stores, restaurants, parking lots, etc.
    That’s wild - the beach story.

A few summers ago we spent most of it at our other home in UK. We’d go to the beach every afternoon after I finished tending to biz. One day, this (super sexxxy) young single mom with a 3yr old boy made friends with us oddly quickly. We invited them to join our picnic lunch, just hung out around our blanket for maybe 30min - as long as it takes to feed our four littler girls 3, 5, & 9 then. So, we didn’t know her well… She was Lithuanian, didn’t seem crazy, was articulate & clearly (seemingly) intelligent.

All of the sudden she shrieks - her little boy was floating away and screaming, could barely swim. The North Sea in Northumberland can have wild tides, but was relatively calm that day.

I ran and grabbed the kid while she just panicked squealed and pointed. I was like WTF with her after. But the cute mom shouted at me that she assumed I would watch him!! haha. I mean. I just met them and offers them some chicken and fruit. We never moved on to me caring for her kid! lol

People are strange.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post

Drowning people are serious dangers. In their full panic, they can and will take rescuers down with them.

In my rescue diver course, we learned that if a victim grabs on to you and you can't get them off, empty your BCD and submerge. That is the LAST place they want to go. In a non-diving situation, much more dangerous. Very ill advised to let them get close enough to grab you. Unless you are very highly motivated, find an extension of some kind.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast