Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Considering a 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I strongly recommend a Dan Wesson 1911, and in particular a "Commander" configuration with the bobbed rear bottom of the grip:

I currently own four DW 1911s in 9mm, 38 Super, and 45 ACP (2 in the latter). Two of the four are bobbed Commanders. The Commander uses full-size 1911 magazines, either 7rd or 8rd as you already have. The DWs are available either with steel or alloy frames, and the latter are nicer for carry. Two of mine are alloy, two are steel.

DW 1911s have superbly tuned triggers, and all have registered between 3.9 and 4.2 lbF on my Lyman digital trigger pull gauge which I verify from time to time with accredited calibrated check masses at work. The triggers have zero creep or stacking, hence the sight picture does not change when the hammer falls, and the guns are remarkably accurate. That's why all all the Colts but three, the Springfield Armorys, and the Rock Island 1911s all went down the road. When I take friends to the range, they post equivalent results and come away impressed with 1911s and DWs in particular. Shop around, and you may find factory "blem" DWs for less than a non-blem identical model. I have three blems, and I could not find the defects.

JMO and experience,

Noah
    Is that a "full sized" model?

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Is that a "full sized" model?
    Yes, except with a 4" bbl instead of a 5" bbl like the one in Jenn's pic.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Everything else is called a copy or clone.

I own a Springfield Armory GI Model and I'd prefer the Colt but I have what I have. I did own a blued 70 series Colt in the 1980's. It shot well without much trouble.

Colt 1911 Classic 70 Series.

Stainless or Blued

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/191...assic-ss-45acp

This is the way. These models are around a grand. The caveat with the newer Colt pistols is you should inspect before buying if possible. If I bought one online, I’d only do so with a 3 day non firing inspection. Typically the slide to frame fit on these guns is generous- however the slide to frame fit doesn’t contribute much to accuracy until it gets outrageous.
    Barrel fit is MUCH more important.

Most of the modern era Colts that have come through here have had excellent barrel fit. Almost as close to dead zero as if I hand fitted a new barrel. Some folks gag at the thought of mim parts. They’re easily replaced if you want. I’ve done lots of work on the mim parts and they’ve held up fine thus far- the bitching is mostly from folks that don’t work on 1911s daily.

If you want something engraved, that’s easily done as well. Laser engraving has been very much improved in recent years. It’s not old world master hand engraving but looks pretty good considering what you’ll pay. Occasionally you can find “engraver’s pistols”. I have one in stainless tucked away for some future project. The frame is marked but the slide is sterile.

I’d stick with Colt for your purposes. Regardless of perceived quality, the prancing horsey logo will always enhance value. As Jenn observed, anything else is an “also ran”.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

If you like your kid to get hammer bite, any GI model 1911 will work. A proper beaver tail grip safety is a must on any 1911, IMO. Ambi safeties are another must for me, one because I'm left handed, and two because you never know when you might need to use your off hand to shoot. As a lefty who shot a Springfield GI 1911 with a left side safety for many years before it got an ambi safety, that sucks.

Colt is the OG of 1911s, but there are other manufacturers who are just as good or have surpassed them. As cdi mentioned, you have to be careful and properly examine any new Colt you buy these days. Their QC isn't what it once was. If you want Colt, buy used. Noah's suggestion of Dan Wesson is spot on, though for your kid's first 1911, a full size 5" model may be the better option. Still, love the bobtail and I kick myself for not buying a DW 10mm 1911 when I could get one for a reasonable price. I'm partial to Springfield because they typically offer the best features to value ratio of any mid-range 1911 manufacturer. My wife's Springfield TRP is a fantastic 1911. Great trigger, accurate, reliable. I have a Springfield Loaded Champion that Mrs Ronin bought me for our 10th anniversary. It was a good gun, but not on the same level as the TRP. I had cdi do a trigger job and add poor man's checkering to the front strap, and it's now a great 1911.

Springfield TRP Classic

trp.JPG

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Everything else is called a copy or clone.

I own a Springfield Armory GI Model and I'd prefer the Colt but I have what I have. I did own a blued 70 series Colt in the 1980's. It shot well without much trouble.

Colt 1911 Classic 70 Series.

Stainless or Blued

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/191...assic-ss-45acp

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    This is the way. These models are around a grand. The caveat with the newer Colt pistols is you should inspect before buying if possible. If I bought one online, I*d only do so with a 3 day non firing inspection. Typically the slide to frame fit on these guns is generous- however the slide to frame fit doesn*t contribute much to accuracy until it gets outrageous.
    Barrel fit is MUCH more important.

Most of the modern era Colts that have come through here have had excellent barrel fit. Almost as close to dead zero as if I hand fitted a new barrel. Some folks gag at the thought of mim parts. They*re easily replaced if you want. I*ve done lots of work on the mim parts and they*ve held up fine thus far- the bitching is mostly from folks that don*t work on 1911s daily.

If you want something engraved, that*s easily done as well. Laser engraving has been very much improved in recent years. It*s not old world master hand engraving but looks pretty good considering what you*ll pay. Occasionally you can find *engraver*s pistols*. I have one in stainless tucked away for some future project. The frame is marked but the slide is sterile.

I*d stick with Colt for your purposes. Regardless of perceived quality, the prancing horsey logo will always enhance value. As Jenn observed, anything else is an *also ran*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    If you like your kid to get hammer bite, any GI model 1911 will work. A proper beaver tail grip safety is a must on any 1911, IMO. Ambi safeties are another must for me, one because I'm left handed, and two because you never know when you might need to use your off hand to shoot. As a lefty who shot a Springfield GI 1911 with a left side safety for many years before it got an ambi safety, that sucks.

Colt is the OG of 1911s, but there are other manufacturers who are just as good or have surpassed them. As cdi mentioned, you have to be careful and properly examine any new Colt you buy these days. Their QC isn't what it once was. If you want Colt, buy used. Noah's suggestion of Dan Wesson is spot on, though for your kid's first 1911, a full size 5" model may be the better option. Still, love the bobtail and I kick myself for not buying a DW 10mm 1911 when I could get one for a reasonable price. I'm partial to Springfield because they typically offer the best features to value ratio of any mid-range 1911 manufacturer. My wife's Springfield TRP is a fantastic 1911. Great trigger, accurate, reliable. I have a Springfield Loaded Champion that Mrs Ronin bought me for our 10th anniversary. It was a good gun, but not on the same level as the TRP. I had cdi do a trigger job and add poor man's checkering to the front strap, and it's now a great 1911.

Springfield TRP Classic

trp.JPG
    Thanks for the inputs.

1). My original inclination was Colt, for the reasons stated above, but I am open-minded and happy to be persuaded.

2). It won't be kid's first. I rescued a Browning .22 1911 from Dad's basement. It's kinda "mini" though. It's also pre-owned, so it doesn't meet my goals here.

IMG_4567.jpg
    Last edited by free; May 18th, 2024 at 09:38 AM.

(Delaware County)

I have a Ruger SR1911, 45 Auto. I bought it used and in the condition it is now, customized a bit, had some bluing done and has a Crimson Trace laser grip. It's the only 1911 I've ever owned or shot. So I think it's the best ;p It is a good hole puncher that much I can tell you. Ruger also makes this SR1911 in 9mm Luger and 10mm Auto

You can get a very nice looking Custom Engraved Hardwood brand new one for under $2000.

https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Standard/models.html

(Lebanon County)

Sell the mags, buy him a hi power.
    Its just like a 1911, but better.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    ^^

Thanks for that input.

FWIW, I didn't say I was looking for, nor can I afford, "the best". So, "the best" is out (:

I AM looking for something brand new though. I have plenty of used guns I can supply. Part of the concept I am going for is "yours, just for you". Giving something that was once someone else's kinda goes against that concept. On a positive note, I do like the idea of customization. That feeds into my concept. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know what would be reasonable, and not just customization for customization's sake. Child knows nothing about guns now. Hard to guess what may be appropriate many years from now.
    I love this idea. I've gotten my son two pistols as gifts, one is a Beretta 92 I got him when he graduated high school from Valley Forge Military Academy and joined the PA Army NG. The other was a 1911 I got him for graduation present for college. THAT one I had heavily smithed by a world-class smith who has since retired, unfortunately, but it came in at about $1,700-$1,800 all in and started with a new Springfield Armory, so it's in your budget. All the smiths who worked on my guns are retired or just in the parts business these days, you have to constantly look for new ones.

Not sure what look you are going for? The guy that did my sons gun made a "Retro" project pistol for me years ago where I was going for JMB's original look/feel, but with modern parts. The one he worked on for my son was called the Marine Corps Operator, OD frame, black slide, and accessory rail. If you want a classic lines pistol but are not super MILSPEC oriented, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a lovelier gun than the full-sized Springfield Armory Ronin, see link.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/1...5-acp-handgun/

Rather than give you a laundry list of what to do to it, here is a link to the project gun I had my favorite smith do for my son's college graduation present. 1911s are a sickness I have, and I have it bad. I've got three now that I've had extensively modified, and have owned and sold a Nighthawk Custom and currently have a Wilson Combat SFX9 in addition to my three 1911s. Post a little more about your vision for this project, especially the look you are going for (like rail, no rail, blued, parkerized two-tone, etcetera), and I'll be happy to offer my humble opinion. I can take you as far down that rabbit hole a you like. lol Us 1911 nuts are usually slightly OCD fanatics.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/an...#post-13938615

By the way, Tisas (Turkish manufacturer) is becoming very highly regarded in the 1911 community, and their guns are great base guns for customization. Their Aviator model has a nice classic look that I love, ring hammer, classic grip safety, two-tone black over silver, great starter for some customization. Both should shoot fine out of the box.

https://tisasusa.com/tisas-1911-aviator-45/

Good luck, looking forward to hearing more about what your vision for this gun is.

(Montgomery County)

A photo of the Tisas Aviator

(Montgomery County)

A photo of the Springfield Armory Ronin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast