Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Philly zoo - cc poll

If it’s gov property no go but other than that why not

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Not going isn't gonna set them free. Their habitats seemed fairly spacious. Not saying it's great, but it is what it is. There were a bunch of girls working at the zoo trying to teach a chicken how to hope over a pole with a reward of cracked corn.
    .....are you serious about the chicken? I went there a few years ago and there didn't seem to be as much of a variety of animals as before.I can to a farm to see chicken tricks for far less than what the zoo charges for admission!
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

Walked in with a backpack, stroller, baby, diaper bag, milk bag, knife, and gun. It identified the diaper bag as a possible threat, guy asked me to open it, as i unzipped it, guy said go ahead.

It was the evolv scanner that had an ipad that boxed questionable items.

Also Thursday at 2 is a good day to go, place was completely empty. No crowds or lines at all.
    I was going to mention that carrying a knife in Philly is illegal, but apparently that law was ruled unconstitutional last August. I don't recall seeing it mentioned here, but that's damn good news. Still can't carry a knife within 100' of a school in Philadelphia, however.

(Berks County)

Wife had fun, she got her pictures with the kid. It was my first time at a zoo. It wasn't terrible.
    Just don't laugh at the gorillas, gorillas don't like to be laughed at.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Just don't laugh at the gorillas, gorillas don't like to be laughed at.
    Went to the Philly Zoo with some friends years ago, and my buddy, who was kind of ape-ish himself, decided to make a bunch of faces at one of the gorillas. As he turned his back to walk away, the gorilla charged the glass and started pounding. Startled my friend. Then the gorilla stuck its butt up against the glass and smeared his ass across it until my buddy finally walked out of sight. When we walked passed on out way out, the same gorilla saw my friend and showed his ass to him and pretended to fling shit in his direction. It was funny as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    .....are you serious about the chicken? I went there a few years ago and there didn't seem to be as much of a variety of animals as before.I can to a farm to see chicken tricks for far less than what the zoo charges for admission!
    There's a farm section which has chickens, goats, alpaca's, sheep. It looks to be sort of a "please touch" area, where you can go in and mingle with the farm animals.
    iAnal

Elephants need on average over 2 million acres to roam. Seeing them in cages makes me sick.
    Zoos and circuses should be outlawed. A zoo is nothing but a prison for animals, but at least they get daily visitors.
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Elephants need on average over 2 million acres to roam. Seeing them in cages makes me sick.
    Zoos and circuses should be outlawed. A zoo is nothing but a prison for animals, but at least they get daily visitors.
    You seem to know very little about zoos.

(Chester County)

The Philadelphia Zoo is one of the oldest and most renowned Zoos in the country. I remember going to see the White Tigers when they had them for a while. My Father grew up not far from there on Wyalusing Ave which was an all Irish neighborhood and even he wouldn't go back to that neighborhood since it's no longer an Irish neighborhood. I also remember running trains past the Zoo quite often when I worked the Trenton or Chestnut Hill West trains. Zoo interlocking used to be the largest interlocking in the world during the Pennsy days. Zoo tower sits there overlooking the Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I was going to mention that carrying a knife in Philly is illegal, but apparently that law was ruled unconstitutional last August. I don't recall seeing it mentioned here, but that's damn good news. Still can't carry a knife within 100' of a school in Philadelphia, however.
    The article still gets it wrong about dagger knives. There is no such prohibition in the State of PA. The wording of "dagger" in the previous version of the law was a description of type of blade in the automatic knife wording. "Automatic" is now gone too. For me though having worked in Philadelphia for many years I would still keep my knife in my pocket without a clip showing. I do that everywhere anyway. I've only been to Philly once or twice since I retired because I have no reason to go there anymore.
    Last edited by JenniferG; May 17th, 2024 at 12:59 PM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I didn't see any elephants.

By that same logic, your home is basically a prison for your pets. With adequate space and care, I see no problem with zoo's. There are bad pet owners, and probably bad zoo owners, but that doesn't speak for them all.
    iAnal

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast