Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: .380 I don’t like it, however…

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Waffles View Post
    For some unknown reason I keep seeing these irritating videos in my suggested YouTube videos section. The topic being, is .380 ACP good enough? I do not carry .380 ACP, why would I want a 30% weaker 9mm? I carry .45 ACP and proper 9x19mm with Speer Gold 124gr +p, a load that crosses over into .357 magnum territory at 1250 fps, 500 ft lbs and the recoil is a powder puff, feather duster of a recoil to me. I cannot understand how any pistol caliber even 10mm, has recoil that a 15 year old can*t handle.

Anyway, what irritates me about these annoying videos is it*s always some tacticool guy that*s never shot a target that moves, obsessing over the lame ballistics of the .380. Yes, it sucks but is it good enough? Are you kidding me? It*s a .35 cal hole in a bad guy and it*ll drop them just like any other hole making projectile. I can*t watch these tacticool YouTube channels. As soon as I see any tac vests, run and gun drills on a paper target range or any other signs of tacticoolness I stop watching and find another video.

I love shooting guns, it*s in my top five favorite things in life, however you will never see me doing tactical pistol drills, while wearing camo and prepping for the apocalypse. Dear God, how does anyone watch those channels? I*d never own a .380, it*s a boring caliber, it*s also inaccurate at longer ranges due to the low velocity and light weight being affected by wind.

I feel adequately armed with 9x19mm with the right round and above. I*d say my Sig P226 is my favorite 9x19 and my H&K USP Expert is my favorite.45 ACP. It*s tough but those are my two favorites. For people that like smaller guns, there are some very small 9x19mm models, the Glock 43 would be a good choice.
    I'd just give you mine, but it's a S&W.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I'd just give you mine, but it's a S&W.
    BAZINGA!
    Must spread rep.

I carry Glock 43X most always 90% of timelining to a Bersa 380 single stack, fixed barrel for accuracy, decent sights and in my case surgery's prevent me from carry on waist but with a lighter pistol.They are accurate little buggers and is better than a cane or stick.

(Centre County)

If someone accosts you and has a knife and you pull out a .380 from your pocket/holster/whatever, do you think they will just think "Oh, it's just a .380" NO - they're going to go "OH SHIT they have a gun, I'm outta here". If they have a gun, then that .380 might just buy you some maneuvering room/time to get out of there or to get to your bigger defense caliber.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I do recall a story from a few years ago where a guy was being harassed by a group of bikers and they weren*t small dudes and another guy used a Ruger LCP to fend them off and never had to pull the trigger. Point is something is better than nothing and everyone*s preferences are different. I myself will not stand in front of a 380 and absolutely will carry one for self defense. But if given the choice between my LCP or my G26 or any other larger better more suitable choices I*ll choose bigger and better each and every time. But I think someone here said it the 380 in the pocket trumps the 45 at home

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

380 gets my vote for the best pocket carry. Know the pros and cons of your weapon.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If someone accosts you and has a knife and you pull out a .380 from your pocket/holster/whatever, do you think they will just think "Oh, it's just a .380" NO - they're going to go "OH SHIT they have a gun, I'm outta here". If they have a gun, then that .380 might just buy you some maneuvering room/time to get out of there or to get to your bigger defense caliber.
    You might even end up with a free knife.

(Jefferson County)

A lot of those Youtubers, and many people in general, have caught a case of magnumitus. ...everything has to be powerful.

Yet fail to realize that .22RF, .25ACP, .32ACP, .380ACP, etc have killed people graveyard dead for well over 100yrs. ...and people wear the same basic clothing today as they did then, and if anything - people probably wear clothing less bullet resistant today(less leather).

Same people pick .300Win/Wby, .338Win, or larger for fucking whitetail at 200yrs or less. ...as if deer have evolved kevlar in the time period between blackpowder and today.

I've been selecting the "Do not recommend channel" at Youtube for a bunch of these asshat tubers lately. Same with a bunch of the "the sky is falling" type gun news people that use the same buzz word headlines and yet either clickbait or don't give full info.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I sometimes carry a .32 ACP.
    That was the smallest caliber my sons department would permit its officers to carry as back up or off duty! But ONLY with Winchester Silvertips at the time!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Susquehanna County)

Personally I .380 and I think I'd like to have a full sized semi-auto and a K frame revolver in that caliber.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast