Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Some store stopping selling toy guns

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    OK, maybe I'm setting myself up to be bashed but... I never got toy guns for my boys. I felt that the usual play, such as I did when I was their age, would leave me with many bad habits to make them unlearn. Bad habits include painting people with the barrel, twirling, sloppy handling, etc. I did introduce them to gun safety at an early age (5) with very close supervision. They're both in their 30s now. One won medals in competition and carried during his college career (KU), the other was not interested and doesn't handle them.
    That's fine and it was your choice but you didn't try and ban them from the local store, Or when they made finger gun's which children will often do even ones who were never exposed to firearms toy's or real tell them they were wrong and doing something evil.

I am sure you didn't which is the difference here.

On the flip side of the coin you can also use those Nerf guns to train little ones in the 4 rules of safety as well without using a real firearm. They have fun and are learning at the same time. My BIL is a firearms instructor for a large county in NJ which covers many many departments including inter DPT swat teams and crap like that.

It's funny how much you can teach a kid with a Nerf gun while keeping their attention, Seeing 4 6-10 year old's dressed up in toy military gear breech and clear a room with perfect firearms handling in your home is pretty damn entertaining to say the least.

(Chester County)

As a kid growing up in the 60's I had toy guns, but typically I carried an actual, old surplus Martini Henry around the neighborhood. That thing was heavy as hell. Nobody cared a kid was carrying a real rifle around. Well one neighbor did call my Dad about it, and he said "so what?" Nothing bad ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    As a kid growing up in the 60's I had toy guns, but typically I carried an actual, old surplus Martini Henry around the neighborhood. That thing was heavy as hell. Nobody cared a kid was carrying a real rifle around. Well one neighbor did call my Dad about it, and he said "so what?" Nothing bad ever happened.
    Hell if old imported demilled MG kits weren't so expensive I would buy my son one to put in his tree house to stop all the damn woods invaders.

(Berks County)

Buying a toy gun is how I learned about sales tax. The local drugstore had a toy Luger with little orange cartridges for $1.00. I had 106 pennies that needed spending, so I dumped the whole pile on the counter and waited for my 6 cents back after she counted. Surprise!! LOL!

We always played Army in the neighborhood, bunch of kids with all kinds of toy guns running through yards and hiding behind bushes. Aside from the odd skinned knee, I don't remember any injuries. And nobody grew up to be mass murderers or anything. Of course, we all had parents that were involved in our lives. Now my ex works all the time and our son plays video games every minute, and all he talks about when I see him is machine guns and rocket launchers and killing... Hmmm....
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Like him or hate him (I seem to feel both things towards him depending on the subject) the Yankee Marshal does some really good thing for the firearm community as well as kids in the foster system since he was a foster parent who adopted both the older boys he fostered.

I have some upcoming finical issues that are going to alter my life but I think I will be sending $20.00 beans for this cause.

(Bucks County)

I have a problem with thinking a young child cannot distinguish real from make-believe. If that is actually the case, then maybe a toy gun v real gun is a needed lesson, not something to withhold. That would be a solid foundation for building common-sense judgment. That way the youngster can fully appreciate what morons educators who operate under zero tolerance truly are. Teaching the child to evaluate a teacher might save him/her from falling for the lib shit that gets pushed at them.

(Chester County)

I'm kinda up in the air about "real" looking toy guns. I have a Daisy BB pistol that looks exactly like a 2nd gen Smith and Wesson 9mm pistol. I bought it so I could practice in my backyard and just have some chits and giggles. I could see a police officer easily mistaking that gun for a real one being more than a couple of yards away. Back in the 60's kids had guns, cap guns, water guns and dummy guns but you could easily tell they were toys and not the real thing. I'm sure there were some real looking toys back then but there was also parenting back then too.

I have no objections with kids playing cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, defeat the Clinton assassin or whatever games they can come up with but not with realistic looking guns in this day and age of kiddie drug dealers, massive illegal immigration and sanctuary cities. As parents you now have to protect your kids from anti gun zealots that don't care about your kids, all they care about is a political ideology and police that have been shot at by kids or have confiscated real guns from kids. This isn't Kansas anymore Toto. I'll try and scan some pictures later on of my Brother at about four years old (about 1959) in his full cowboy outfit with a two gun rig. My parents were city folk and weren't gun people but they had no problem with kids playing make believe with toy guns or me years later carrying a gun for protection.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Carbon County)

Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Northampton County)

Got to get me one of those scope beams.

I had this one. They actually used one of these as a prop in the movie The Green Berets. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Green_Berets,_The
    Last edited by :-); December 4th, 2018 at 08:57 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast