Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Anybody heard of Pennsylvania Coalition To End School Shootings?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I got this email in my Spam folder today at 17:10:

It's entirely possible I eSigned one or both petitions, but the better part of valor is discretion. Thoughts?
    They did not have a clear message. This is a shame because their cause seems to be very good.

My concern is not school shootings - those are already immoral and illegal - but the means by which ending them might be achieved.

I understand the humor here. We already ban such evil stuff. The $10,000 question is what sort of tangential crap will be foisted upon all of us to make such things impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post

My concern is not school shootings - those are already immoral and illegal - but the means by which ending them might be achieved.

Yes, and do you have any idea how complex the subject is. I've spent 6 months studying it, and am just now scratching the surface. It involves people with mental issues who may or may not be preparing for a mass murder, and who may or may not have a means to carry it out, and whose rights to life, self defense, property, speech, etc. must be protected while also protecting innocent lives around them, and if the potential shooter is already prohibited because of a crime or mental adjudication making sure he is in NICS which has an estimated 7 million prohibited individuals who are not entered, and increasing the penalty for crimes with guns and illegal sales to lower the chance of him getting guns on the black market, and educating people on straw purchases so he doesn't convince a girlfriend to buy one for him, and if he acts, making sure that schools are hardened with ballistic glass, security doors, practiced student emergency plans and on-site armed personnel.

Every point made above could have 20 pages written to cover it. A detailed plan is to be released in a few months. It is *impossible* to begin discussing the topic without in-depth information at hand.

No one was solicited to sign up or pay anything. The email was very simple. Thanks for signing our 2nd Amendment petition managed by the Lehigh Valley Tea Party (not exactly a progressive organization). In appreciation we are gifting you a membership in our new organization. We feel it is important to protecting innocent life and our firearm rights. If you wish to decline, click here.

Of the 2200 emails, about 15 declined. At least 35 others replied with 'Thanks we appreciate your effort' type remarks.

Some of you guys are quick to criticize. As I said before, skepticism is good. But it seems to me that many want to sit at their computers, do nothing, and criticize those who are working. Reminds me of my x-wife :-)

BTW: All of this hard work is on a volunteer basis. Not looking for accolades just trying to get people to understand that jumping to conclusions can be harmful to the rights we are trying to protect.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Bucks County)

In my opinion, six months of study barely scratching the surface is an example of how a committee formed to create a race horse winds up with something that looks like a camel.

The history of human behavior is thicker and more informative than any current study will accomplish.

6% of the population will be antisocial and act in untoward manner. The first act of an antisocial cannot be foretold. It can only be reacted to post-act, or the potential of the act, sans identity of doer, prepared for.

Look at how school shootings have been accomplished. Install counter measures.

Now, let's assume prevention of school shootings is 100 percent successful. The result is entirely predictable...a different soft premise will be targeted.

As time goes on, the desk fliers aka elected and appointed officials will conclude the common denominator is the gun.

We are doomed to eventually become relatively gunless.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    Yes it is valid.

For those making jokes, I'm not sure how the topic can be seen as funny,

Today, a person should be skeptical. But most people in fact recall signing a National Reciprocity petition, most people understand the statement that NatRec and Disparity of Force "are administered by the Lehigh Valley Tea Party and both of which are aimed at protecting our Second Amendment rights" and I would think most gun owners favor "the protection of innocent life and to our firearm rights, as well."

Also if those jumping to conclusions would simply give a moment's thought, solving this problem requires cooperation from "students, teachers, school administrators, individual rights advocates, lawmakers, law enforcement, mental health professionals and the community at-large". You don't do that by barging in and telling them "hi... I'm here to protect 2A rights and you are going to sit and listen".

In fact, the effort aims to protect more than 2A. In its most basic form the matter of school shooters is about an individual who has mental issues... thoughts of murder & the means to carry it out, and getting him help before he does, while at the same time protecting his and all others rights of speech, defense, property, privacy etc unless and until the would-be shooter is properly adjudicated.

Last comment, no one asked anyone to join anything or pay anything. Membership is a thank you, giving people an easy means to refuse.

Skepticism is always good. Making remarks like some made in this thread is ignorance.

Thank you Berncly & ett for stepping in. (I need to spread rep)
    Yes, but regardless pooferst are a skeptical lot.

In addition, we will poke fun at it regardless.

(Beaver County)

[QUOTE=Bang;

We are doomed to eventually become relatively gunless.[/QUOTE]

And the killings will continue.

The gun is a tool, the brain is the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    In my opinion, six months of study barely scratching the surface is an example of how a committee formed to create a race horse winds up with something that looks like a camel.

Look at how school shootings have been accomplished. Install counter measures.
    What the fuck Bang? What committee? Racehorses and camels? Like many others here, I guess you have all the answers.

Install countermeasures? Again, what the fuck? That's it? That solves the problem all by itself? What counter measures? Give me fucking specifics because all countermeasures are routinely defeated and will only slow the shooter, not stop him. Prior shooters have walked into school, around metal detectors, killed the guard, and immediately opened fire on a classroom.

This is the problem in a nutshell. So many think that their one solution solves the problem when in fact each is only a single piece to the complete solution.

This is an extremely complex issue that people try to apply simple answers to and that is why it hasn't been solved and that is how the Left will disarm us, by making sure it doesn't get fucking solved.

To all those who think they know better, who I am and what I'm doing, wake the fuck up and stop hurting this cause.

Look at the Left's response to Parkland. They mounted a nation-wide effort to "do something" which means ban guns completely. If we don't solve the school shooting problem you can bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

So please stop telling me things like this project is about compromise or that the solution is simple. Most of all, please stop bad-mouthing something you know nothing about.

Wait until the full plan is complete and released. If there is something wrong about it, then you can bitch. Until then, please refrain from sitting at your computer and taking pot shots at an extreme effort that you know nothing about.

You only hurt an effort that may just well save your freakin' guns.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Philadelphia County)

What the fuck Bang? What committee? Racehorses and camels? Like many others here, I guess you have all the answers.

Install countermeasures? Again, what the fuck? That's it? That solves the problem all by itself? What counter measures? Give me fucking specifics because all countermeasures are routinely defeated and will only slow the shooter, not stop him. Prior shooters have walked into school, around metal detectors, killed the guard, and immediately opened fire on a classroom.

This is the problem in a nutshell. So many think that their one solution solves the problem when in fact each is only a single piece to the complete solution.

This is an extremely complex issue that people try to apply simple answers to and that is why it hasn't been solved and that is how the Left will disarm us, by making sure it doesn't get fucking solved.

To all those who think they know better, who I am and what I'm doing, wake the fuck up and stop hurting this cause.
    Are you doing this study by yourself or are you part of a “coalition” ?

I can understand why Bang is thinking “committee” and it seems they never accomplish their goal.

I applaud your cause and agree that it is a very complex issue, but unfortunately I don’t think one person will be able to spearhead a viable solution.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Are you doing this study by yourself or are you part of a “coalition” ?

I can understand why Bang is thinking “committee” and it seems they never accomplish their goal.

I applaud your cause and agree that it is a very complex issue, but unfortunately I don’t think one person will be able to spearhead a viable solution.
    It's not one person.
    Please re-read my post on page one. ie. "I know who is involved with it..... The persons in charge..."
    See plural.

Longcall911 may; or may not; be pulling the most weight.
    But he is not alone and it is not a one-man show.

Please; everyone who received the email; simply stay on the list and watch for future emails, plus the website, and see how things progress.
    --ET

(Bucks County)

Step one to school shooting problem (learning from history as I suggested):

Stop calling the police (or in Florida's case, sheriffs) to handle the shooter. It has not worked and will not work.

Businesses (and insurance companies) learned long ago that calling a fire department to put out a fire is too slow, and ceiling sprinklers came into play.

Get it?

Look at the Left's response to Parkland. They mounted a nation-wide effort to "do something" which means ban guns completely. If we don't solve the school shooting problem you can bend over and kiss your ass goodbye.

So please stop telling me things like this project is about compromise or that the solution is simple. Most of all, please stop bad-mouthing something you know nothing about.

Wait until the full plan is complete and released. If there is something wrong about it, then you can bitch. Until then, please refrain from sitting at your computer and taking pot shots at an extreme effort that you know nothing about.

You only hurt an effort that may just well save your freakin' guns.
    Sorry, but this is where you lost me. Not so much what you said, but how you said it. I wish you well, though.

The website gives no indication of its 2A stance. That may be to bring in gun-grabber $$$’s, but it’s intellectually dishonest.

BTW, with that long title you need to increase your SEO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast