Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: FCC after your BaoFeng!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    So I was reading up a little more on this and watching the video suggested. I see how the software works to add frequencies. Is there a reason why you would keep frequencies in a certain order? Like between the different bands? I would think really there’s no reason to have any order unless I’m missing something? I’m going to try to play around today to import that file that has all of the prepper frequencies on it I must’ve downloaded it somewhere but for the life of me I have no idea where it came from anybody with a thought on where I might’ve gotten that? And as I import frequencies are they going to overwrite previous ones if they are listed as the same channel number or will it just move that to a different channel somehow or self assigned?
    Ok, several things. since you're programming your own radio, there sorting is up to you. Some like it more organized. some like it closest repeater, organized by geographic area, others by band, or purpose. If you are part of a group (like some of the local Search and Rescue, or ACS/ RACES) they will have a 'load" so everyone on the team has the same sorting just to make it easier to change to a set frequency or repeater. For the overwrite, there is that possibility, if you try to write to a memory that already has something in it, Chirp will ask you (with a pop-up) "overwrite memory" xx (xx being the memory location I.E. 2 or 10). Then it's up to you to overwrite or not. If you choose no, I recommend adding the frequency you attempted to the bottom of your list and redoing the attempt.

(Berks County)

Well, I have to tell you, I got it all connected, downloaded what was one there, no issues. The radio comes with 21 preprogrammed channels that I have no idea what they are for. Like 452.125, 453.225, 138.55 and so on. So, not sure what to do with them.

So, seems like this is a huge rabbit hole; I guess I just want to hear stuff, have access so to speak. Following the rules/laws and not transmitting. So repeaters, GMRS, FRS, what does it all mean? Ha ha I don't have the time!! I guess the strategy is just to get in the channels that have meaning like emergency info, whatever I don't even know yet. Suggestions?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I got one of those as a Christmas gift. I can confirm that I AM too stupid to use it. I have no fucking idea how it works.

Maybe what I got just looks like the one in the pic ....whatever I still can't use it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnnXa-nV-jc
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Chester County)

Well, I have to tell you, I got it all connected, downloaded what was one there, no issues. The radio comes with 21 preprogrammed channels that I have no idea what they are for. Like 452.125, 453.225, 138.55 and so on. So, not sure what to do with them.

So, seems like this is a huge rabbit hole; I guess I just want to hear stuff, have access so to speak. Following the rules/laws and not transmitting. So repeaters, GMRS, FRS, what does it all mean? Ha ha I don't have the time!! I guess the strategy is just to get in the channels that have meaning like emergency info, whatever I don't even know yet. Suggestions?
    The stuff that is loaded are factory test frequencies and don't mean anything to you. Just save the image and upload one that is useful to you.

FRS/GMRS channels 1 thru 7 are the ones you can use as walkie talkies. You can also program in channels for NOAA weather, marine radio if you're near water, or lots of other things depending on where you are.

See https://www.radioreference.com/apps/...tid=2246&rpt=1 Try the W FM setting. If you hear a buzzing sound on a frequency, it probably means that the service is digital and you won't be able to listen to it. You can try the frequencies by putting the radio in VFO mode (the voice will say "frequency mode") by pushing the orange button and then entering the frequency manually. Do not transmit on these channels. You can also listen to the ham repeaters that are listed if you are within range.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Berks County)

Okay, actually I can get those FRS/GMRS entered through CHIRP so that helps as they import from stock config which is nice! But the FRS goes to 14 but that works for me. ;-)

Why would I program in a repeater frequency? I see 7 or so for Berks in the 2M. Same for 70cm.

I also noticed that you can go above and below the stated frequency range or am I wrong? Seems you can change the limits in CHIRP.

And what exactly is the A/B purpose and the Band purpose? My guess is A/B switches to the VFO A or VFO B preset however what is the logic behind having a certain frequency programmed in those two presets? I see the presets now but they make no sense why they are that.

As far as the Band, does that take you to the lower limit of each band? Can't quite figure out why that button exists.
    Last edited by Gunowner99; October 10th, 2018 at 06:35 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Okay, actually I can get those FRS/GMRS entered through CHIRP so that helps as they import from stock config which is nice! But the FRS goes to 14 but that works for me. ;-) I thought these were over the power limit for FRS and GMRS

Why would I program in a repeater frequency? I see 7 or so for Berks in the 2M. Same for 70cm. repeaters are where you hear HAMS talking to each other. The repeater receives on one frequency then broadcasts it on another. The broadcast is much stronger and higher. This is how a person with a handheld can talk to another handheld that is well outside the range of the handhelds

I also noticed that you can go above and below the stated frequency range or am I wrong? Seems you can change the limits in CHIRP. I don't think so. You can type it in, but I dont think it will accept it.

And what exactly is the A/B purpose and the Band purpose? My guess is A/B switches to the VFO A or VFO B preset however what is the logic behind having a certain frequency programmed in those two presets? I see the presets now but they make no sense why they are that. A/B is just like having multiple FM bands on your car radio. Personally I keep B tuned to the local NOAA channel, and do my scanning on A. You can also (in frequency mode) have one of the bands set to VHF and the other to UHF

As far as the Band, does that take you to the lower limit of each band? Can't quite figure out why that button exists.
    Band switches from UHF to VHF in frequency mode.
    Does nothing in Channel mode

(Berks County)

I need to read and digest, thanks! One more thing, I changed a setting through CHIRP where the A display should show frequency and the B display should show name. Well, I thought that meant that the top would show freq and the bottom the name but I guess it's not that but rather the A will show freq a and when I am on b the b shows name?

A/B is just like having multiple FM bands on your car radio. Personally I keep B tuned to the local NOAA channel, and do my scanning on A. You can also (in frequency mode) have one of the bands set to VHF and the other to UHF
    I'm lost here. Go figure ha ha! It seems like you are saying that you pre-program what a and b is (basically what frequency it tunes to, almost like a preset?) and then you can scan or something from there?

Band switches from UHF to VHF in frequency mode.
    Does nothing in Channel mode
    Isn't that basically the same as the A/B? When i hit band on mine, it goes from 470.625 to the last channel I had before I hit it. And if that freq had a signal, I can't switch to A or B or vice/versa. So I tune to a freq where I have no signal and then I am able to switch. Does that have something to do with the fact that I have TDR on?

repeaters are where you hear HAMS talking to each other. The repeater receives on one frequency then broadcasts it on another. The broadcast is much stronger and higher. This is how a person with a handheld can talk to another handheld that is well outside the range of the handhelds Then technically wouldn't anyone on that repeater hear you and there are so few in Berks, seems like there would be a ton of traffic? Like there are 14 total so I would tune to that, transmit, and then anyone tuned to that freq would hear me? Not that I am going to do that, just understanding the concept.

(Berks County)

Okay, thought about it and I think I get it, maybe.

Band basically takes you from VHF to UHF and vice versa. Like going quick from channel 100 to channel 300 and back. From there, you can go up in channels. Is there a way to program what VHF or UHF freq it goes to when you hit the band button?

A/B basically should take you to the top or bottom of the screen. But, can't you also preset what default freq it goes to or is it truly just switching from top to bottom? I think I grasp that. Seems that I see a setting in CHIRP that you set a freq for VFOA and VFOB? What's that all about. Also, seems to me it wont switch if I have a strong signal. Is that to to with TDR being on?

Also, I recall in CHIRP that you can adjust freq range? Seems what it was set up was not at limits at all which seems strange or maybe I am not recalling correctly?

Lastly, I seem to get the weather and that's it!! Like, no activity on any frequency? I'm getting the better antenna however really? Someone has to be out there!!
    Last edited by Gunowner99; October 11th, 2018 at 02:43 PM.

(Northampton County)

if your near Allentown, I will prog. for you!
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Berks County)

I appreciate that, I have done some with CHIRP but my confusion is outlined above as far as what does it all mean?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast