Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol

(Montgomery County)

Default AR Pistol

I am looking into picking up an AR pistol, looking for a 10.5 inch barrel. PSA Has one for 600.00 http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...165447970.html. Local shop has a sweet Daniel's Defense for around 900 hundred more. It will mostly be just a plinker but the thought of turning it into a SBR has crossed my mine. I know you can build your own for a lot cheaper but do not want to really go that route, me and small springs have a hate-hate relationship.
    With that said I am not sold on either and I am open to suggestions. Any thoughts?

Default Re: AR Pistol

For just plinking the PSA should be fine. It looks like it would meet all of your requirement, without the SBR route. Save the extra $ for ammo and an optic or even another gun.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    For just plinking the PSA should be fine. It looks like it would meet all of your requirement, without the SBR route. Save the extra $ for ammo and an optic or even another gun.
    This is how I am leaning also. I have not seen many options in the local shops besides higher end guns.

(Allegheny County)

You can buy a lower with the lower parts kit already installed. Honestly, there's nothing that hard about putting those parts together, but I can understand the lack of interest in doing so because I was the same way initially. (until I realized my fears were unfounded)

The only part of building that truly requires a special tool is assembling the barrel onto the upper. You can also avoid that by purchasing a complete upper. There are SO many options now that you can probably find a configuration of your liking.

Buy a complete upper and lower with LPK installed, then choose your own type of buffer tube. Plain pistol buffer tube, or one of the several "braces" on the market.

Buying a complete pistol is "easier", but you're stuck with the options someone else is selling you.
    You get the most control by building your own, but you can still have some control over what you get by building using partially assembled pieces.

All that said, if you have the money to buy a Daniels Defense anything... well, I wish I had your problems. LOL!

Good luck. I love my pistol and with the Shockwave Blade on it, I have no reason to SBR it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob m View Post
    This is how I am leaning also. I have not seen many options in the local shops besides higher end guns.
    I should have mentioned a really good muzzle brake. They are loud very very loud is an understatement.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

Mine isn't loud.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You can buy a lower with the lower parts kit already installed. Honestly, there's nothing that hard about putting those parts together, but I can understand the lack of interest in doing so because I was the same way initially. (until I realized my fears were unfounded)

The only part of building that truly requires a special tool is assembling the barrel onto the upper. You can also avoid that by purchasing a complete upper. There are SO many options now that you can probably find a configuration of your liking.

Buy a complete upper and lower with LPK installed, then choose your own type of buffer tube. Plain pistol buffer tube, or one of the several "braces" on the market.

Buying a complete pistol is "easier", but you're stuck with the options someone else is selling you.
    You get the most control by building your own, but you can still have some control over what you get by building using partially assembled pieces.

All that said, if you have the money to buy a Daniels Defense anything... well, I wish I had your problems. LOL!

Good luck. I love my pistol and with the Shockwave Blade on it, I have no reason to SBR it.

This is very true, is there any huge differences in the quality of lowers between companies? Buying the Daniel Defense would put a nice hole in my gun budget, one of the main reasons I did not get it today lol. Figure if I stay away I can get the ar pistol and possibly something else.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rob m View Post
    This is very true, is there any huge differences in the quality of lowers between companies? Buying the Daniel Defense would put a nice hole in my gun budget, one of the main reasons I did not get it today lol. Figure if I stay away I can get the ar pistol and possibly something else.

The lower itself, in my opinion, is the least important part to be concerned with in terms of "quality".
    They are all typically made of the same material to the same specs. The only real "job" of a lower (I'm referring to the stripped lower by itself) is to hold the trigger assembly in place, and provide a place for the buffer tube to be attached. The "quality" (or perceived quality) of a lower isn't going to have an impact on accuracy, or really anything else.

You can buy a $50 stripped lower, or a $100 stripped lower and they do the same thing.
    Buy the less expensive stripped lower and use the money saved on a better barrel, or bolt carrier group, or whatever.

Sorry. I keep thinking "build" when you said you doen't want to build, but either way, as long as you aren't buying "mystery/unbranded" stuff, you should be fine with PSA or other brands that aren't going to break the bank.

(Allegheny County)

$35.00 (new) - Upper - Anderson Sport - no forward assist/dust cover
    $50.00 (new) - Lower - Anderson (approx - can't recall exact price)
    FREE*** (used) - Barrel - Black Rain Ordnance 7.5" 1:8 twist 5.56 (***generously donated by a forum member)
    $108.00 (new) - Muzzle Device - PWS CQB linear compensator/flash hider
    $14.00 (new) - Gas tube - Strike Industries - Stainless/pistol length
    $31.50 (new) - Gas Block - Rainier Arms low profile - aluminum/Melonite coated black

$99.00 (new) - BCG (not pictured) - PSA Premium Full Auto BCG Item #8779
    $FREE (new) - Charging handle - PSA Premium - came free w/BCG
    $106.00 (new) - Trigger - POF 4.5 lb single stage drop in with KNS Anti-Walk Pins
    $65.00 (used) - Hand Guard (not pictured) - Aero Precision Quantum 7"
    $68.50 (new) - Brace/tube kit - Shockwave Blade KAK Buffer Tube /spring/buffer/castle nut
    $12.00 (new) - QD End Plate - B5 Systems
    $10.00 (used) - Grip - Magpul
    $22.00 (new) - Trigger Guard - Rainier Arms aluminum Modified Trigger Guard
    $17.00 (new) - Extended Mag Release - Odin Works (first version - works with KNS anti-rotation pins - V2 does not w/o mods)
    $37.75 (new) - LPK - CMMG "Gunbuilder's kit" (minus fire control group/grip)
    $50.00 (new) - Sights - Front Sig Sauer Tritium flip up / Rear A.R.M.S. BUIS* (*generously donated by a forum member)

Total $725.75 (plus shipping on a few items, but most were free shipping)
    (this info from when it was initially completed in 2016. Prices may differ now and not listed are the red dot and the mag well grip, or sling)

I could have built it for less, but there were certain parts I spent more on because I wanted more than "basics".
    The most costly "upgrade" was the linear comp that was chosen to reduce/eliminate fireballs.
    Like I mentioned, the beauty of building is that you get to pick and choose the individual parts you want to use.
    I don't have a barrel wrench, so a forum member torqued the barrel onto the upper for me and installed the gas block/gas tube - I did the rest.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    The lower itself, in my opinion, is the least important part to be concerned with in terms of "quality".
    They are all typically made of the same material to the same specs. The only real "job" of a lower (I'm referring to the stripped lower by itself) is to hold the trigger assembly in place, and provide a place for the buffer tube to be attached. The "quality" (or perceived quality) of a lower isn't going to have an impact on accuracy, or really anything else.

You can buy a $50 stripped lower, or a $100 stripped lower and they do the same thing.
    Buy the less expensive stripped lower and use the money saved on a better barrel, or bolt carrier group, or whatever.

Sorry. I keep thinking "build" when you said you doen't want to build, but either way, as long as you aren't buying "mystery/unbranded" stuff, you should be fine with PSA or other brands that aren't going to break the bank.
    No worries all knowledge I can get is good knowledge. Who knows you may even have me convinced into building. Just spent 25 mins watching someone put a lower together and it seems to be a lot easier than I thought.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast