Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Default Re: School Walk Outs Planned in PA

While we're posting messages, here's mine to the superintendent last week:

ORIGINAL MESSAGE FROM SCHOOL
    Good evening,

For 17 minutes at 10 a.m. on March 14, 2018, students from across the country have been organized a walk out of their schools to honor those killed in the massacre at Parkland High School last month and to protest gun violence.”

In order to support our students’ first amendment rights while maintaining a safe and secure environment for all of our students, the _________ School District will be enacting the following measures for March 14, 2018:

At 10 a.m., if students choose, students may proceed respectfully to the gymnasium in each building. Administrators will be in each of the gymnasiums for supervision and to ensure student safety.

At the end of the 17 minutes, students who have chosen to go to the gymnasium will have five minutes to respectfully return to class. Students who fail to return to their classroom in a timely manner will be in violation of the code of conduct and will be subject to the consequences associated with such actions.

Students who choose to go to the gymnasium during those 17 minutes will be responsible for any work missed.

Staff with assigned duties during that timeframe will remain in their respective classrooms to continue teaching with the students who do not wish to go to the gymnasium.

Students will not be permitted to leave the building out of safety and security concerns. A student choosing to leave the building will be in violation of the code of conduct and will be subject to the consequences associated with such actions.

Please contact my office if you have
    any questions or concerns.

MY REPLY
    Good evening, Superintendent <censored>.

I thank you for making parents aware of this event taking place beforehand, but I would like to make my concerns aware with you.

I strongly oppose getting students, especially elementary school-aged children involved in these organized political agendas. If this event were a simple remembrance of lost students, there would be no issue, but as you stated yourself in the announcement, it's a political event regarding gun violence. The goal of these protests are for pushing gun control and is organized by a very partisan and vulgar group that planned the Women's Marches in Washington after the President's inauguration and is paid for by gun control groups funded by Michael Bloomberg. This event has nothing to do with protecting children, improving their safety in schools or remembrance of victims. It's about pushing gun control and stripping Americans of their 2nd Amendment rights.

Please read about the organizers of the event:
    https://www.pressconnects.com/story/...ism/381319002/

My children will not be participating in this political event, but as a parent who stays actively involved in my children's education, I needed to express my disappointment that their school district would allow students to participate in such an event during school hours. The 1st Amendment does not guarantee students the right to leave class and participate in non-educational, political stunts during their school day. Administrators have the power to control these situations by enforcing rules on absenteeism, truancy and general conduct policies. I see that you intend to enforce rules and enact punishment for students not returning to class, but I also contend that allowing them to participate in the first place is not necessary, nor should be allowed in a public school that should not be participating in politics with our students' education.

I do appreciate you being open and honest about the situation and informing parents who deserve to know what's happening in our schools, and time taken to hear my concerns.

Thank you,

HER REPLY
    I absolutely appreciate your concerns. Unfortunately, students may still choose to walk out, and we wanted to offer a safer option for them. In the end, their safety is our primary concern.

Thank you.

MY REACTION:

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lancaster County)

Interesting that they support "first amendment rights" of their students when it comes to this, but have a student wear a t-shirt with a firearm on it, and now they suddenly don't have a first amendment right.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Interesting that they support "first amendment rights" of their students when it comes to this, but have a student wear a t-shirt with a firearm on it, and now they suddenly don't have a first amendment right.
    I maintain that they have no 1A rights inside the classroom, in regards to protest and public expression of their beliefs.

The classroom is not the place. Nor is a workplace...if I grabbed a bullhorn and started speaking against abortion, they'd fire me. When you're in class, you shut up and get your work dine, just like if you were being paid to do a job.

After the last bell rings, go outside and say whatever you want.

The more they say it's not political, the more they prove it is. Keep your politics out of my kids' schools.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Just thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    I maintain that they have no 1A rights inside the classroom, in regards to protest and public expression of their beliefs.
    Yeah, but apparently you're wrong, so be sure to send your kid(s) to school that day wearing NRA/GOA shirts, pins, etc.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post

Yeah, but apparently you're wrong, so be sure to send your kid(s) to school that day wearing NRA/GOA shirts, pins, etc.
    Yup, and then when they're sent home, or forced to wear their shirt inside out, take the school to task for their hypocrisy.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Yup, and then when they're sent home, or forced to wear their shirt inside out, take the school to task for their hypocrisy.
    Yup and Yup.

(Wayne County)

I was thinking Kalashnikitty T-shirts. And since my school is doing it on the 20th, I can pick some up at Split Rock before then. Just gotta see if the girls are on board.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post

The classroom is not the place. Nor is a workplace...if I grabbed a bullhorn and started speaking against abortion, they'd fire me. When you're in class, you shut up and get your work dine, just like if you were being paid to do a job.

After the last bell rings, go outside and say whatever you want.

The more they say it's not political, the more they prove it is. Keep your politics out of my kids' schools.
    If all else fails, threaten them with a lawsuit.

(Wayne County)

High school is having a voluntary assembly to remember the victims and encourage the students to do good deeds, i.e. Rachel's Challenge to prevent bullying. Public not welcome, but encouraged to wear orange to support Rachel's Challenge.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I was thinking Kalashnikitty T-shirts. And since my school is doing it on the 20th, I can pick some up at Split Rock before then. Just gotta see if the girls are on board.

Works for me!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast