Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Pennsylvania gun law question

So what is the company that requires an FFL?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    They can have whatever policy they want - doesn't mean it is based in law.

According to the LAW, You can ship back to manufacturer and receive from manufacturer, with no middle man. Hell, S&W sent me a prepaid FedEx label to use when shipping it to them.

If you're dealing with S&W, tell them you want a prepaid FedEx label. Hell, no matter who you're dealing with, tell them you want a prepaid FedEx label (:

Interstate commerce is the bailiwick of the Federal Government under COTUS. MA can go fuck itself on this matter.
    I did this with Ruger, no issues,
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Chester County)

I sent a handgun to Kimber by UPS. It had to go by overnight. The supervisor at the local terminal never heard of Kimber, so I had to get a copy of their FFL, which was no problem at all. The UPS supervisor told me that if it were Colt, S&W or any other manufacturer whose name he recognized, no FFL copy was necessary.

Kimber sent the gun directly back to me via UPS Overnight with an adult signature required.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

Anybody can tell a shipper anything they want. A shipper can make any rules they want. A shipping manager or clerk who is not clear or confused can default to cover their ass. Shipping thru an FFL is a blanket protection for all involved. Given the legal mumbo-jumbo and lawyer-speak of these policies , I can't blame them.

But an FFL will have to log it into their A&D book, and upon return , will have the owner fill out a 4473 and do a background check prior to returning it to owner.

I was surprised when I had to do a 4473 and BG check when I took a rifle back from a dealer where I had it on consignment.
    Last edited by abner13; January 9th, 2018 at 08:52 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

OP not enough info. Reason sending back? If serial number changed i.e. new frame, then ffl and background check.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Anybody can tell a shipper anything they want. A shipper can make any rules they want. A shipping manager or clerk who is not clear or confused can default to cover their ass. Shipping thru an FFL is a blanket protection for all involved. Given the legal mumbo-jumbo and lawyer-speak of these policies , I can't blame them.

But an FFL will have to log it into their A&D book, and upon return , will have the owner fill out a 4473 and do a background check prior to returning it to owner.

I was surprised when I had to do a 4473 and BG check when I took a rifle back from a dealer where I had it on consignment.
    You have to do a 4473 & BGC for a consigned firearm, NOT for a manufacturer repair or gun-smithing. Doesn't make sense, but them is the rules.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

I shipped a pistol off to Apex Tactical for enhancements. They shipped it back to me. Went FedEx both ways, no problem, no FFL. Was fucking expensive though - because their POLICY is that it must go FedEx overnight - not even 2-day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    OP not enough info. Reason sending back? If serial number changed i.e. new frame, then ffl and background check.
    Again, not required by federal law.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I thought that both UPS and FedEx now had their own policies that require that firearms only be shipped by and to an FFL. The law requires you to notify them if the package contains a firearm, so if you try to sneak it through, you're violating the law, not just their policy. And the Post Office is not an option for handguns.

Even assuming all that's is correct, I don't know how that translates into lawyers advising "you can ship directly to people on this list, but not on this one."
    Any manufacturer or company your sending your firearm for work to be done should be an FFL. The one thing I didnt understand was why if Im shipping to an FFL it had to be overnight and expensive charge but when shipped from the FFL it could be regular shipping and around $30.
    Last edited by PhillySoldier; January 10th, 2018 at 08:26 AM.

(Delaware County)

I sent a Kahr Arms CW9 back to (Massachusetts) replace a trigger bar several years ago. I used UPS, had to go to an Air Hub, ship it directly & overnight (UPS rules). It was delivered back to my house, signature and ID required when the repair was done.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast