Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Carry Permit With You

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    If your mom writes a note, (preferably in English, but Spanish is ok also) make sure it doesn't start off "BTTC2ndA's Mom states...." and make sure she signs it legibly.
    "Signed, Epstien's mother"...

When all else fails, invoke the MFing Constitution.
    I like this guy...

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by BTCC2ndA View Post
    I have looked around and have not found the answer to the question of whether you have to carry your issued carry permit with you, or if a photo on your phone will work? THX - Kevin
    You can carry a phone, but not that little itty-bitty card?

Quote Originally Posted by BTCC2ndA View Post
    I have looked around and have not found the answer to the question of whether you have to carry your issued carry permit with you, or if a photo on your phone will work? THX - Kevin
    There have been a few similar threads in the past. Here is one that discusses carrying when you lose a license that morphed into the question you are asking, some good info in the thread. Although probably not the super clear cut answer you are looking for. It seems there is some room for uncertainty and best to err on the side of caution and carry your ltcf with you. (See Gunlawyer's posts 31 and 34). A lot has changed since then including easier access to ltcf by officers. You may have no problems in most cases but as your question goes, and the language of the law goes, there could be a problem which does have to be a consideration in a discussion like this.

Since I work in Philly and get to make my own rules, here are mine:

Make a good color copy and laminate it. Carry that one.

A photo on your phone will work. I have a photo of all my important documents saved on my phone. For travel I have photo copies of DL and Passport in hidden compartments in my luggage.

Just make sure your phone doesn't die when you need your document photo. We are allowed to view Car Insurance documents on a phone now and a law was passed protecting liability if the phone is damaged. (I just saved my vehicle registration renewal to the phone since it is no longer mailed.)

Your info is going to be run through the system to be verified anyway.

If your mom writes a note, (preferably in English, but Spanish is ok also) make sure it doesn't start off "BTTC2ndA's Mom states...." and make sure she signs it legibly.

This advice is worth what you paid for it. IANAL. YMMV. No express warranty is inferred or implied. When all else fails, invoke the MFing Constitution.
    Alway nice to get an inside view but you are also a 2nd Amendment friendly officer. He needs to take into consideration that a situation may arise where he is stopped by a non 2nd friendly officer in which case having a photo on the phone could lead to more angst in the situation than is needed. A lot of people are reporting that some officers are able to see ltcf info when running info. (I've read reports on here and someone at my range was telling me that they got pulled over for something and the officer came up to the car at some point asking if he had a gun in the car because they saw his ltcf info. He was not carrying at the time.(2nd hand info so take it for what it's worth)).

Would it be possible (maybe far fetched but possible) for an anti 2nd officer to pull someone over, see the info, get upset they were not informed and ask if there is a firearm in the car? ( I don't know, this is a serious question) Then ask to see the ltcf and make a big deal out of it being a picture on a phone. I'm not trying to be difficult but we often need to consider worst case scenarios on here and getting pulled over by a 2nd amendment officer (you) is far from a worst case scenario that many have to consider. If we don't have a clear cut letter of the law on our side it could lead to problems for people dealing with officers who do not have the same policy as you.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    In the past this question has been brought up for a variety of reasons. Some people like to carry as little as possible, with phones you can pay for products, and keep important document on it in a relatively secure manner eliminating (for many) the need to carry a wallet and the possibility of losing it and original source documents that can be a major pain in the ass to replace. See Soberbykers post in this thread for a ltcf example. For some people not carrying a wallet could mean more space for extra ammo or a backup carry.

It would be nice to address this. Since we don't have Constitutional carry in Pa, The more modern options we have the better.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Right! Who's to say your LTCF wasn't revoked and confiscated , and you just have a phone-pic? You just may have your firearm confiscated till ya show Barney your actual card.

It's like not carrying your D/L while driving. Done by someone who either doesn't have one or just wants to start shit with the cops.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Right! Who's to say your LTCF wasn't revoked and confiscated , and you just have a phone-pic? You just may have your firearm confiscated till ya show Barney your actual card.

It's like not carrying your D/L while driving. Done by someone who either doesn't have one or just wants to start shit with the cops.

I'm not quite following your reply here.
    I imagine it's possible someone could have their LTCF revoked and still have the card on them for a period of time.
    Photo or card, I would think that it's current status is still going to be "checked out".

And I never understood why it can't be "just like a driver's license" - where you have X amount of time to produce it if found without it. Hell, I don't even know if THAT is true any more. Everything is so "connected" electronically, that info should be readily available to an officer at the scene.

All that said, I have left the house without my driver's license and not worried about it.
    If I get in the car and realize I forgot my LTCF when I'm carrying, I make the effort to go back in to get it - just in case.
    (I keep my DL and LTCF rubber banded together in my front pocket)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Schuylkill County)

Carrying mine has come in handy a few times as a form of ID. One time I was a lawyers office to transfer real estate and my drivers license was expired. The lawyer said we couldn't do the transfer unless I had another form of ID. I said that I had my LTCF and she said that was even better than the driver license. If I'm walking around town I don't take my wallet with me but this is a small town and the police know me.

(Bucks County)

6122. Proof of License and Exception.
    (a) General rule.-When carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle, an individual licensed to carry a firearm shall, upon lawful demand of a law enforcement officer, produce the license for inspection. Failure to provide such license, either at the time of arrest or at the preliminary hearing, shall create a rebuttable presumption of nonlicensure.
    I think it is perfectly clear what will happen to you if you don't have the actual license.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    ... but this is a small town and the police know me.
    My town (population 347 or so) has two part-time cops, and we rarely see them.

(Bucks County)

Internet troll used a term '2A friendly Officer. Ummm, a 'non-friendly 2A Officer is a douchenozzle by definition, and a person LIKELY to violate their Oath and should probably have their head waffle-stomped into a sewer grate.
    Just kidding about that last part. Sort of. It sounds like an idea with merit for America's future.

To the OP's question. I swear I read in a cite of law that it can be provided at arraignment. Of course, carrying it on you, while horribly heavy and bulky, might cause the arraignment to not occur.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    My town (population 347 or so) has two part-time cops, and we rarely see them.
    You never go to the donut shop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast