Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Strange encounter at diner with family: what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    It was an odd situation to be sure. I grew up in a generation that it was not unusual for older people to keep hard tack in their pocket and offer a piece to people they stopped to talk with.

Even today I see people that carry dog treats to offer to dogs they might run into at the flea market.

Now if I happen to start running into this guy more often I would become concerned. I to would not have given the candy to the child.
    I don't remember who made the thread but was it you(American1776) who posted about the creepy weirdo who parks out in front of your house and tries to talk to your wife?....maybe this is that same guy following you all?
    Last edited by Krichardson; July 10th, 2017 at 09:26 AM.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Butler County)

I definately think a person bearing gifts should consult a parent before offering it to a child. I used to get a little miffed when even old ladies in the local market used to bend over and give my son (then an infant) pats and tickles. In that case, Even if the intention is sincere, I DO NOT KNOW YOU and don't appreciate the up front familiarity! I prefer a reserved society where people are polite and helpful when asked, but don't invite chumminess too quickly. I practice what I preach

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    When I was about 21, I was driving home one October night from work.... 19 miles from a city butcher shop to our house in the boonies. I passed my old high school, and was about to make a turn for the last 4-mile stretch to our neighborhood. Then I saw some character walking very quickly and stealthily from around a house and down into another yard with a paper bag over his hand as if looking for something or someone, and with puspose. This immediately struck me as sinister. I turned right around at the custard stand and hustled back up the road to the police station and told the first cop that I saw. He grabbed his shit, took my number, and headed out to his cruiser. Never heard anything of it again. But I think i could easily have done the right thing. The guy in that yard clearly had something kind of shady going on.
    Was is a paper bag or a hoodie? Could've been Trayvon Martin's cousin coming home from the candy store.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Butler County)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    I definately think a person bearing gifts should consult a parent before offering it to a child. I used to get a little miffed when even old ladies in the local market used to bend over and give my son (then an infant) pats and tickles. In that case, Even if the intention is sincere, I DO NOT KNOW YOU and don't appreciate the up front familiarity! I prefer a reserved society where people are polite and helpful when asked, but don't invite chumminess too quickly. I practice what I preach
    You can kind of forgive old people doing that considering they grew up in a different time when that kind of thing was common.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I don't remember who made the thread but was it you(American1776) who posted about the creepy weirdo who parks out in front of your house and tries to talk to your wife?....maybe this is that same guy following you all?
    I don't recall posting about that, or it happening to me. It was someone else on these boards. I've never seen the guy with candy before. But I did notice him look at me as we walked in, and I remember taking note of that.

(Chester County)

It seems you handled it well. Being vigilant, but not over reacting was IMHO the proper way to handle the situation. There are actually a few of us fossils around who still think it's OK to be nice to people, even children despite the MSM wanting everyone to believe any polite or kind gesture shown by a stranger will have a regrettable outcome.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Setting: Me, my parents, my wife, and almost 4 year old daughter were out to eat at a local diner. I'm open carrying as usual, today a Ruger P90 .45 auto. As we walk in to be seated, I do my usual survey of everyone sitting down and take a mental note of who's who. I notice a man (50-60, black hair) watch me as we sit down. He is to my left.

After we are seated, the man gets up, (three tables over), and approaches our table with a bag in his hands. I go to high alert. He asks my parents if they are the parents of my daughter, then says something about how he watched as the little girl lead all of us inside. He reaches in the bag. Pulls out a lollipop for my daughter. He goes and sits back down.

The whole time I was ready to reach for the .45, but I didn't put my hand on it. When his hand went in the bag, I made the decision not to 'make a scene' and just be ready.

My dad, afterward, expressed his disturbance about his inability to react properly to the situation. I myself am a little disturbed.

His hand could have went in the bag, and out came bullets. Or a knife. Or a present.

What is the indicated response here? I'm only trying to learn for the future. thanks.
    Being alert is a good thing. Being prepared to act is also good. You didn't over react. If you did and you drew, you would be in jail right now, IMO.

Ayoob covers this sort of stuff in detail, I recommend reading his book called Deadly Force, understanding your right to self defense.

I agree with your stance of being polite with the old dude until he left, then teaching the kids about strangers.

I do have one question, can you expound on this?

"take a mental note of who's who"

What does that mean?
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Being alert is a good thing. Being prepared to act is also good. You didn't over react. If you did and you drew, you would be in jail right now, IMO.

Ayoob covers this sort of stuff in detail, I recommend reading his book called Deadly Force, understanding your right to self defense.

I agree with your stance of being polite with the old dude until he left, then teaching the kids about strangers.

I do have one question, can you expound on this?

"take a mental note of who's who"

What does that mean?
    When I walk into a restaurant or other public place, I make a quick look around at everyone. It only takes 3 seconds, and I take note of anyone who looks unusual, or more likely to be a threat if something goes down. Probably 70 percent of the folks in that diner (which was quite crowded on a sunday morning breakfast) were over 70 year old. Many had walkers. There was a family to the far left with a large party, with a few younger men, whom I noticed. And then i noticed the black haired man, 50-60, with a goatee, who watched me for a second or two longer than normal as we were seated.

I do this routine everytime I sit down in to eat. It really only takes 2-3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    When I walk into a restaurant or other public place, I make a quick look around at everyone. It only takes 3 seconds, and I take note of anyone who looks unusual, or more likely to be a threat if something goes down. Probably 70 percent of the folks in that diner (which was quite crowded on a sunday morning breakfast) were over 70 year old. Many had walkers. There was a family to the far left with a large party, with a few younger men, whom I noticed. And then i noticed the black haired man, 50-60, with a goatee, who watched me for a second or two longer than normal as we were seated.

I do this routine everytime I sit down in to eat. It really only takes 2-3 seconds.
    Gotcha, thanks.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast