Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Strange encounter at diner with family: what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    What would your Dad's proper response have been? I'm honestly not certain what you're asking about? You had a heightened sense of awareness as your family was approached by a stranger, what else would you do? I wouldn't have reached for my gun or "made a scene"(whatever that means)
    Well, there are other avenues we could have taken. I could have asked him not to approach. Or, I could have heard what he had to say, but when he went in the bag, told him not to move. Instead I sat there and observed, was polite, but was ready to clear leather real fast if the need arose.

Hahaha this actually reminds me of a "strange encounter" I had not so long ago. My wife and I had just left a restaurant at night. We were sitting inside of the car in the parking lot discussing where we were going next, when all of the sudden this guy in his 20's opens my rear passenger side door and hops in the back seat. I immediately spun around in my seat and said something to the effect of "whoa man, what are you doing?" The guy looked up at me and instantly realized that he had gotten into the wrong car. He quickly appologized and got out of the car. It happened so fast I honestly never gave any thought to drawing my gun or even reaching for it. Maybe I'm not as aware or prepared as some, but I also prefer to not live my life in a constant state of fear.

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Well, there are other avenues we could have taken. I could have asked him not to approach. Or, I could have heard what he had to say, but when he went in the bag, told him not to move. Instead I sat there and observed, was polite, but was ready to clear leather real fast if the need arose.
    IMO you did the correct thing. Either of the other two things(bold) would have been inappropriate in my mind. I mean what would you have done if the guy disobeyed your commands? Draw down on him(or worse) in the middle of a family restaurant on a Sunday morning? NO WAY What if he was merely getting up to use the restroom and had to walk past your table.

Hahaha this actually reminds me of a "strange encounter" I had not so long ago. My wife and I had just left a restaurant at night. We were sitting inside of the car in the parking lot discussing where we were going next, when all of the sudden this guy in his 20's opens my rear passenger side door and hops in the back seat. I immediately spun around in my seat and said something to the effect of "whoa man, what are you doing?" The guy looked up at me and instantly realized that he had gotten into the wrong car. He quickly appologized and got out of the car. It happened so fast I honestly never gave any thought to drawing my gun or even reaching for it. Maybe I'm not as aware or prepared as some, but I also prefer to not live my life in a constant state of fear.
    I understand that completely. We can't always be in a constant state of complete alertness. Living in condition orange, as they say, is really really really hard.

I once knew a retired policeman, who served 30 some years as an LEO, and before that, served TWO combat infantry tours in Vietnam. He became a bank security guard in retirement. He told me that one day, he was walking around the bank perimeter like usual, and just around the corner, came running toward him a fleeing felon who had robbed a nearby store. It caught him off guard. He said, "Here I am, having survived all I survived, and I was caught with my thumb up my *** just ready to be shot by some lowlife."Luckily the guy just ran away.

(Bucks County)

. Maybe I'm not as aware or prepared as some, but I also prefer to not live my life in a constant state of fear.
    I think you have the right outlook and this should sum it up it up for everyone. We are not at Armageddon yet and at 99+% of the people you see everyday are not going to harm you. You need to be prepared but not paranoid......

This thread demonstrated some scenarios where a psycho could easily have killed you and your family (if you are paranoid). Or (more realistically) showed scenarios where you would have gone to jail if you fired a weapon.

If you don't have a level head you really should not be leaving the house. Stay at home and have your groceries delivered. You can spot the deliveryboy with your shotgun from a window till he leaves.

(Warren County)

The majority of people mean and act well.

Eating dinner in a public restaurant in broad daylight, If the guy approaching isn't weird looking or doesn't have menacing mannerisms, you are gonna be ok 99.99% of the time.

Not taking candy from strangers is the norm and backing that guy off by informing him of that policy would have been best, but that's Monday morning quarterbacking...

Not drawing was a good move.

Big ole nothingburger as far as I can see from here.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post

I don't know where "somewhere Pennsylvania" is, but depending on where you live
    Seems to be an issue on this site...

(Bucks County)

Question for the OP...........When this was over what did you do with the lollipop?

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Question for the OP...........When this was over what did you do with the lollipop?
    I told my daughter that we don't take stuff from strangers, and that there is a lollipop at home for her. I examined the lollipop later tonight, and then discarded it so no one would mistakenly eat it. It looked alright, and probably was alright, but it's not worth a risk.

(Lancaster County)

I might have been dead but the bag wouldn't have freaked me out. I would have been polite to the guy and that's it

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast