Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Sportsmans clubs in PGH area?

Hi all,

I've recently moved to PGH and am having a hard time finding a place to shoot. The ranges I've found are lackluster (Iron City Armory). Can anyone recommend a club relatively close to the Allison Park area that doesn't have sponsorship requirements? The only clubs I've found require a sponsor.. being new to the area makes this an impossibility

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Sportsmans clubs in PGH area?

Should have moved East. Lehigh Valley, any place you stand there are a few within 5 miles in every compass direction. Every borough has 2 and every township has 5 or more.

Sorry for not being any help, but those guys in East Ohio seem to think they got it going on so I have to poke them with a bit of reality.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Should have moved East. Lehigh Valley, any place you stand there are a few within 5 miles in every compass direction. Every borough has 2 and every township has 5 or more.

Sorry for not being any help, but those guys in East Ohio seem to think they got it going on so I have to poke them with a bit of reality.
    I'm envious of you! I was relocated out here from Virginia. Had a reasonably priced range right around the corner from me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gideon2086 View Post
    Hi all,

I've recently moved to PGH and am having a hard time finding a place to shoot. The ranges I've found are lackluster (Iron City Armory). Can anyone recommend a club relatively close to the Allison Park area that doesn't have sponsorship requirements? The only clubs I've found require a sponsor.. being new to the area makes this an impossibility
    There is a state gamelands range in wexford. It is actually pretty nice. There are alot of restrictions so read the rules. You need a hunting license or permit. You can get them on line.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    There is a state gamelands range in wexford. It is actually pretty nice. There are alot of restrictions so read the rules. You need a hunting license or permit. You can get them on line.
    Is it? I've had a few people advise me to avoid it at all costs.

(Armstrong County)

Generally speaking, if you find a sportsman club that you like but it requires a sponsor, just show up to one of their meetings and introduce yourself.... Someone there will probably step up

(Allegheny County)

You didn't mention what type of shooting? It's not close, but check out Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmans Club. Don't worry about the sponsor requirement, anyone at a meeting will sponsor you if you just ask.

http://www.pmsconline.com/
    Toujours prêt

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You didn't mention what type of shooting? It's not close, but check out Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmans Club. Don't worry about the sponsor requirement, anyone at a meeting will sponsor you if you just ask.

http://www.pmsconline.com/

Mostly handgun. Thanks for the info. I'll keep them in mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gideon2086 View Post
    Mostly handgun. Thanks for the info. I'll keep them in mind.
    The PAFOA group shoots are actually held at PMSC (short for Pitcairn Monroeville Sportsmen's Club), and are open to all PAFOA members for only $5. It's a good way to meet random people from the Internet, try a bunch of different guns, and get a good look at the club (and get a sponsor to sign). Next one is June 17th...

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=316385

I think PMSC has something to offer for every shooter, but a handgun shooter especially has many amenities. Main thing of note is that there are over a dozen "action bays," short range bays ranging from 20-50 yards in length. Basically, you can pick an empty bay, and have it all to yourself. Set targets at whatever distance you like (well, set the targets against the backstop, and move the firing line to however close you want), practice drawing from the holster, or shooting on the move, it's all up to you, and it's all yours. You're not constrained to handgun calibers either... If you wanna shoot an AR in a similar manner, have fun. Another thing you might enjoy is the Steel Paradise range. Knockdown steel targets of various shapes and distances are free for you to shoot with handgun and .22 rimfire caliber firearms. Knock em down, pull a rope, and they're all back up again. There is also an indoor range for you to shoot at when it gets cold or crappy outside.

In addition to the handgun stuff, there is also a rifle range (out to 300 yards), indoor and outdoor archery range, trap fields, skeet field, and land that you can hunt on. And probably more stuff that I'm missing.

Contrast this with other clubs (or, *gasp* the game lands range), where you have rate of fire restrictions, magazine loaded capacity restrictions, prohibitions on shooting from a holster, a "static" non moving range that you have to share with other people... Not all clubs have these restrictions, but I have seen no other clubs in the region that offer you the flexibility that PMSC does.

I live not too far from you, and moved here not long ago. You're likely running into the same issues as me. It's hard to find a sponsor for any clubs in the North Hills area, if they're even open to membership. I ended up at PMSC, and I make the 40 minute drive at least once a week, if not more often than that. It's worth it to me.

If you'd like a tour (and some range time), let me know. I'm pretty busy most of this month, but I can do Sundays, and should free up in June.

Also, welcome to Pittsburgh!

(Allegheny County)

That ^^^

All of it.

And yes, come on out to the group shoot in June! (He did forget to mention the bacon)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast