Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Man going to jail for finishing AR lowers for customers

This reminds me of an old saying. You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    What if someone rented time at a 'maker space' kind of location? Just curious if that would fall under the same umbrella. Like a small shop that has woodworking and metalworking tools and machines, 3D printers, etc. and people just bought time for use of the shop, but did their own work. Places like that exist, but I don't know if the firearm aspect is permitted or legal.
    This conversation right here is why we need to abolish NFA, GCA, ATF, and the whole rest of the gun control alphabet. It's not needed. Criminal punishments should be based solely on the harm(s) done, not the tool(s) with which they were committed.

It's already illegal to kill someone, assault someone, rob someone, etc. Why does the tool matter?

My 2¢

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    You just can't do that, he should have known the law, even if you don't agree with it.
    Ditto. Agree or not the (current) law is very clear on this.

It's a fucking cnc mill, why didn't the idiot just let his customers press the button to start it?
    The main issue is that he was "profiting" from the use of his CNC. If he is charging customers/friends/etc for the use of the equipment, irregardless of who is doing the actual setup of the lower on the jig, he has now transformed himself into the definition of a firearms builder who is not licensed. Oh and the BATF doesn't like that apparently.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    This reminds me of an old saying. You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    Everyone says that .....until Cuervo is involved then all bets are off.

(Monroe County)

For years the ATF was ok with building your own firearm since it took some time to make. Now that it's easy and quick they can not handle that, plus they feel if you are making your own firearm, then you must be a prohibited person.

Perhaps he can get off if he says he did it because he's upset over the election results.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    This conversation right here is why we need to abolish NFA, GCA, ATF, and the whole rest of the gun control alphabet. It's not needed. Criminal punishments should be based solely on the harm(s) done, not the tool(s) with which they were committed.

It's already illegal to kill someone, assault someone, rob someone, etc. Why does the tool matter?

My 2¢
    I think most would agree with you, but that's not the immediate question.

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Vuccla View Post
    The main issue is that he was "profiting" from the use of his CNC. If he is charging customers/friends/etc for the use of the equipment, irregardless of who is doing the actual setup of the lower on the jig, he has now transformed himself into the definition of a firearms builder who is not licensed. Oh and the BATF doesn't like that apparently.
    So again. Let's say there's a maker space that rents machine/equipment time. The person renting the space and equipment does everything, save for maybe a little direction of general tool/machine use, here are the tools kind of stuff. Does that classify the owner of the maker space as a firearms builder? If I go into such a place and 3D print a firearm part, is the owner of the 3D printer a manufacturer/builder?

(Berks County)

So again. Let's say there's a maker space that rents machine/equipment time. The person renting the space and equipment does everything, save for maybe a little direction of general tool/machine use, here are the tools kind of stuff. Does that classify the owner of the maker space as a firearms builder? If I go into such a place and 3D print a firearm part, do I fall under ITAR regs?

Per ATF if a business does this kind of work then they are 'engaged in the business' of manufacturing. Does not matter how much control you have over the equipment. They did a 'ruling' a while ago about this and build parties. That is why you no longer see those happening anymore. Has to be your hands from start to finish and your tools. This is a separate issue from ITAR. This has been know about in the build community for some time now. To make it worse this person was openly advertising his services.

Most times you poke the bear you will lose.
    gotta love her ;)

So again. Let's say there's a maker space that rents machine/equipment time. The person renting the space and equipment does everything, save for maybe a little direction of general tool/machine use, here are the tools kind of stuff. Does that classify the owner of the maker space as a firearms builder? If I go into such a place and 3D print a firearm part, is the owner of the 3D printer a manufacturer/builder?
    IMO if it was all manual machines and you are working on your stuff alone itd be ok in my eyes, walking in and hitting go on a preprogrammed cnc is one reason these guys got in trouble, if you wrote the program it may be different. all just my opinion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast