Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Krav Maga in Bucks County?

Quote Originally Posted by crouthamela View Post
    There is also Combat Fitness in Doylestown. I've been wanting to get into Krav Maga for a while now just haven't been able to yet. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    I might try them out this month.

(Bucks County)

PS: it's not like I'm sold on KM. On merit, I'd prefer MMA of some kind. I'm frankly unsure what I can actually deal with at age 56, with the usual assortment of rotator cuff, knee, back issues. Anyone have general recommendations, regardless of style, in the Newtown area?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    PS: it's not like I'm sold on KM. On merit, I'd prefer MMA of some kind. I'm frankly unsure what I can actually deal with at age 56, with the usual assortment of rotator cuff, knee, back issues. Anyone have general recommendations, regardless of style, in the Newtown area?
    A near commute from Newtown, is Combat Fitness Martial Arts (www.combatfitnessmartialarts.com). It's an eclectic school in that it offers eight-- soon to be nine --different martial arts styles and self defense disciplines. If it's MMA you're looking for, Combat Fitness Martial Arts' MMA program is associated with Combat Submission Wrestling (CSW) under Erik Paulson-- who will actually be in the PA/NJ area this weekend (10/24-25). From a Krav Maga and firearms self defense flavor, on Sunday, November 8, there will be a "Home Defense and Personal Protection" workshop[ that will be taught by a current SWAT Deputy Commander from the County area. Here's the registration link: http://cqctacticsatcombatfitness.eventzilla.net.

Take a look at www.combatfitnessmartialarts.com or like our Facebook page by the same name for more information and to keep abreast of news, events, and other happenings.

Best regards,

Joe Cargado
    Phone: 215-821-8659

(Allegheny County)

At 56 it's going to be a bit of a challenge getting back into any martial art especially combatives with your ailments. However, I applaud you for giving it a go. Any form of regular exercise is a good thing. Any a form of exercise that can challenge you both mentally and physically is even better (like the martial arts). Anyways, you should check out each club by visiting them and observing the class. Try to keep the driving time to a minimum and don't forget to check out the parking. Take a free class if they offer it. The best way to find the right school for you is to go hand's on with the students. It will give you some insight as to the instructors abilities to teach and the "feel" of the class and it's students. Good Luck to you!
    Last edited by Hawk; October 24th, 2015 at 08:41 AM.
    Toujours prêt

To the OP - Did you check any of these places out? I'm 57 and like you, have the usual ailments. I go to the gym, but it gets boring. Tried CrossFit and loved it, but tore my meniscus and not sure my body can take that kind of exercise. There's a ju jitsu studio in Chalfont I've been considering, but it still may be too much. Thanks.

(Bucks County)

I did check out the place north of doylestown.. Combat Fitness. The instructor seemed qualified and they had several styles there but it's wicked expensive. Not sure if that's an outlier or all these places are mega-$$$ now.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    I did check out the place north of doylestown.. Combat Fitness. The instructor seemed qualified and they had several styles there but it's wicked expensive. Not sure if that's an outlier or all these places are mega-$$$ now.
    $75 - $100 month is typical. I've seen some clubs charge $125-$150 a month, but they offered first class facilities and extra's that many M/A studio's don't offer.
    Toujours prêt

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    $75 - $100 month is typical. I've seen some clubs charge $125-$150 a month, but they offered first class facilities and extra's that many M/A studio's don't offer.
    The doylestown KM place is much more $$ than your highest stated number, though you can whittle the monthly number downwards a bit by signing a much longer contract.

(Allegheny County)

Can't see paying that much, unless the instructor was the founder of KM!
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

My recommendation before you start Krav Maga is to get yourself into shape first. I also plan on going back into the martial arts (Krav Maga) in the spring and I've been working with a personal trainer since August. It is amazing how much harder I have to work to get into shape at 55 than I did at 30.

If you have physical limitations let a certified sports trainer evaluate you first, make sure your body can withstand the rigors of intense physical training you are going to see while studying a martial art. At 56 you surely don't want to do any more damage to an injured area of your body. The trainer can work with you to strengthen those particular areas so that you can perform as you want to, with a martial art.

I had an old skiing injury to my right knee that anytime I stressed it, there would be weakness and pain. After three months of working with the trainer and doing the work out routine he designed for me on my days off from the gym, the knee problem has been eliminated.

BTW The Krav Maga school by me is offering a special for $75 a month for the first six months.
    Last edited by ALS; November 16th, 2015 at 03:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12