Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Abington Gun Sports/Guns and Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    I was in there about a year ago and the guys in there were friendly enough but they didn't have what I wanted in stock. When I asked if they could order it or tell me how much it would be they said they'd have to call their distributor. Me: OK so should I leave my number and you can call me when you find out. Them: well why don't you think about it and come back when you've made up your mind. Thinking to myself: Um, I've made up my mind which is why I'm asking you to give me a price on something and find out it's availability. We went back and forth a bit with me expressing interest in getting a price from them and them just telling me to think about it. It was weird. I couldn't really understand why it seemed like they didn't want to sell to me. The only thing I could think of was that, because they were a small shop, they didn't want to special order anything and instead just wanted to sell from inventory already on-hand.

The result: I "thought about it" for the 10 minutes it took me to drive to another shop and buy from them. They didn't have it in stock either but were able to pull up availability from their distributor in seconds along with a price that was cheaper than Abington told me what they thought it would be. I had it two days later.

I don't really have hard feelings toward them but, like I said, it was a weird experience, they lost a sale, and probably won't get another from me since I am now less likely to even try there.
    Sounds like they wanted you to just blindly buy something without knowing how much it would cost so you wouldn't go around checking prices knowing that their prices are higher than some others in the area.

It is a small shop, so prices will be higher. They have a very small inventory. But at times like these, they had some stuff no one else did, ie. AK, Mini-14, Handgun standard capacity mags and 5.56/.223. Some people probably just didn't think to go to such a small shop to look for some of those things.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    Sounds like they wanted you to just blindly buy something without knowing how much it would cost so you wouldn't go around checking prices knowing that their prices are higher than some others in the area.
    Maybe, but like I said the feeling that I was getting was that they didn't want to have to order something instead of selling out of on hand inventory though if that was the case I would think they'd have tried to sell me harder on what they did have (I wanted a Beretta 92A1 and they only had the 92FS). They didn't seem to be bothered by letting me leave without purchasing when I was obviously interested in buying.

(Montgomery County)

This shop is closing. I found out today when driving by running errands and figured I'd have a glance to see what was on sale.

They have a couple of revolvers, a couple of bolt action rifles (mostly CZ) and 2 shotguns.

There were holsters, cleaning brushes and some other miscellaneous things.

Prices weren't impressive for me to buy anything.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    This shop is closing. I found out today when driving by running errands and figured I'd have a glance to see what was on sale.

They have a couple of revolvers, a couple of bolt action rifles (mostly CZ) and 2 shotguns.

There were holsters, cleaning brushes and some other miscellaneous things.

Prices weren't impressive for me to buy anything.
    any idea why they are closing? I use to stop in there every now and then to chat with the owner Frank. ended up buying a few firearms from them over the years for OK prices.

(Montgomery County)

No idea why. I had just seen the "Close out" sale signs driving by. It seemed like most of the stuff had already been liquidated. Not sure when it all started.

It never seem to be a very busy shop to begin with. I figured they finally lost out from online purchasing, limited stock, and not having the best prices around.

(Montgomery County)

I don't pretend to be a businessman but it would seem to me, as long as you could get some kind of decent stock in at all in the last few months, with the demand for everything there shouldn't be a reason that a gun shop would be closing.

From my experience and the reasons you just mentioned I would agree that is why they may be closing. It says something when this place is 10 minutes from where I live and I'd drive to Tanner's or King's before going there.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    I don't pretend to be a businessman but it would seem to me, as long as you could get some kind of decent stock in at all in the last few months, with the demand for everything there shouldn't be a reason that a gun shop would be closing.

From my experience and the reasons you just mentioned I would agree that is why they may be closing. It says something when this place is 10 minutes from where I live and I'd drive to Tanner's or King's before going there.
    This.

I live practically right up the street from them but their prices have always been a bit higher than I'd have liked and in my own personal experience they were never too friendly to me. (Never unfriendly but just not friendly. Just kind of there.)

I chalk the latter up to having been very young when I stopped in the few times I did.

I've always just had a better buying experience at Tanners.

Still sad to see a shop close as I'm sure others have enjoyed them.

(Bucks County)

I spoke with the owner sometime in Jan/Feb and he said he was looking to sell the business to retire and that the gun scare had put the sale of the store in a weird situation since he had minimal stock left and issues getting any. The low stock in both guns and ammo prob made the decision to liquidate easier then finding a buyer. I bought a few guns here and some odds and ends over the years, they have always ben nice to me and most of the people who I have seen in the store, I have seen them give major attitude to people or ask them to leave because of how they entered the store or approached them. The cell phone thing is a major no no there. I saw them ask a guy who was buying two guns to go outside until he was finished on the phone and he would complete the sale but not until he was off the phone. I actually agree with this practice. The last time I was in the store I left my credit card behind after buying something and when I went back on Monday (2days later) the owner appoligized over and over like it was his fault I wasn't paying attention and left without it. I was happy they had it lol... I wish the owner the best in his retirement....

Nick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12