Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Anyone else boycotting the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show?

Lancaster Archery & Trop Guns pulled out as well.

(Luzerne County)

Had no intention of going to begin with but yes I'm boycotting it now and telling others to do the same.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

(Berks County)

I was going to go. Not now and I let them know why. F@ck the "you do not need "assault weapons"" Sportsman crowd.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(York County)

A whole lot of people are pulling out, there also is a facebook page calling for a boycott etc, many local companies have pulled. If people were serious about being upset this though vendors and people would be walking out of shot show, which they should be but I know we def wont be there

(Lancaster County)

Boycotting is one option, the other is showing up and asking for the stuff that isn't there and thus being part of the input process. If we aren't there then they're easily led to think we don't exist or at least aren't among them. Changing from within is MUCH more effective than being a complaining a-hole outside holding up a sign.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: No Tactical Weapons Allowed At Harrisburg Sport Show

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    This could be a solid move by the NRA. They have condemned Reed and threatened future opportunites with them pending Reed's decison. Meanwhile, the farm show will be full of Fudd's. The vast majority who don't give a crap about AR's and 30 rd mags and won't think twice about throwing us under the bus. Here is the NRA's opportunity to shine by educating those Fudd's and getting them on our side or at the least, getting donations from them that can be used in our battle. Ultimately, if they can convince some Fudds that our battle is their battle, we all come out better.
    That would be nice, but I think it's an unrealistic expectation.

This is more likely the sales pitch to be heard:

"They went after assault weapons first - your huntin' rahffle is NEXT!"
    "Donate TODAY!"

It's all business. Not to say that another thousand new NRA Fudd-members is a bad thing, but at the end of the day that's what it boils down to - membership and money.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Atlantic tactical pulled out too. www.facebook.com/AtlanticTactical

"As you know, earlier this week, Reed Expositions, the managing group behind the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show, unilaterally decided to prohibit the sale of "assault rifles" and "high capacity" magazines at this show. We've spent several days attempting to contact the show organizers in an effort to reason with them. Neither our calls or emails have been returned.

This is a clear assault on the rights afforded to our fellow citizens under the 2nd Amendment. As our founders so clearly stated, these rights shall not be infringed.

In this spirit, we are exercising the power of another great American concept... that of free enterprise. We have decided we will not be exhibiting at this show and we have demanded an immediate refund of our monies.

Stand and Fight."
    Last edited by ycshooter; January 18th, 2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Added quote

(Franklin County)

Here is how I see this being accepted by the sportsmen community in general:

The NRA caved. Worse, this will be seen as a "don't do as I do, do as we trained you" thing.

Let me explain.

Over the years the NRA has conditioned sportsmen to various calls to action. Write, call, stand and be counted, boycott and other direct physical actions by members and supporters.

They use the email blasts as the fuse. The fuse lite by the local activist and on the internet. Seemingly without question, people take it and run. Direction given, action taken.

So after decades of such direction given in various forms of communication to members, members saw the clear path to follow with the show. Protest the decision by phone, mail, and email. Spread the word by all means possible. And boycott the show based on principal.

But, the leadership organization didn't lead the charge, nor in the press release did they encourage or direct the charge of individual members. Instead, they took the diplomatic road and left the rank and file member hanging out there swinging in the wind.

Does the NRA support the local and individual efforts where the show is concerned? It appears with a nod to the passage of the press release they want us to attend to support the vendors. But, doing so clearly supports the action of Redd Expo, the show promoter and the one responsible for the gun ban in the first place.

The NRA needs to understand that after years of training the rank and file member to react to calls of action, this very parsed and diplomatic statement isn't going to go over well with the rank and file member that demands more from the organization that has set the standard for common core reaction to such things.

The NRA doesn't have the ability to turn on or turn off the membership. Having trained them to be all in, and only backing off after a win, the NRA doesn't have the ability to take the middle ground . Nor do they have that light switch or dimmer switch to tone down the efforts of those on board with them.

The NRA needs to re-state the official position. If not, they too will be at the center of ire of many sportsmen. The current statement is going to tick a lot of people off due to the noncommittal and appeasing nature of the NRA in this instance.

Meanwhile, the rank and file members are out there calling for the time honored boycott and looking to punish or win. Thats the standard set and indoctrinated for so long and accepted and acted on by rote by membership.

The NRA only complicated their position on this.

Reed just gained an ally, or it will be seen and promoted by the average NRA gun rights person as that.

The internet is swift and all encompassing. A slight to sportsmen's efforts will not be lost in the fog. It will become an associated issue - on the net, and surly face to face in the show NRA booth.
    Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ycshooter View Post
    Atlantic tactical pulled out too. www.facebook.com/AtlanticTactical
    Nice! They're where I get most of my Constable gear (most of the rest I get from Galls).

(Lancaster County)

It's still conflicting, really, to respond to your voice being not wanted somewhere by kicking yourself out rather than going there and speaking up.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast