Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Oley Ordinance Passed - Prohibiting Firearms in Township Building

Just sent an email to Representative Kessler quoting the preemption statute. Reminded him that when he was campaigning and stopped at my home he said that he supported the 2nd Amendment. This should be interesting to watch as this continues to develop.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Don't you think that's a little much as a first step? Wouldn't it just be easier to show up at the supervisors meeting and secure a speaking time? I can't see them keeping the ordinance once the evidence of their illegality is clearly provided.
    What kind of good faith could they have really had? "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned." Are you saying these guys didn't read the document for which they probable took an oath to uphold/obey/defend/support/whatever?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Don't you think that's a little much as a first step? Wouldn't it just be easier to show up at the supervisors meeting and secure a speaking time? I can't see them keeping the ordinance once the evidence of their illegality is clearly provided.
    So it's okay to have elected officials piss on you? The time to have spoken was before they enacted the ordinance.

However, since they went through all the time, energy and money to enact the ordinance, it's time to return the favor.

If it makes the news (and why shouldn't it?), others will hear about it. They did it in Albion (Erie County) (see link here http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-10/90523-say-what-borough-albion-passes-gun-ban-page-8.html), and Albion's embarrassment went nationwide.
    Last edited by Statkowski; June 19th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjohn26 View Post
    The Eagle does not appear to list the COMMUNITY section on line - at least not yet - taken from the 6/19 issue - page B5:

"We had an incident recently where an individual came into the building to address a protection from abuse complaint filed against him, and he had several weapons in his possession," Police Chief David White said Thursday.
    I believe I heard about this. If I'm correct, the individual's name is Matthew T. Duda, DOB 11-04-1984.

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketS...R-0002258-2010

Not positive that this is what they're referring to, though.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Either the subject title is wrong, or the Reading Eagle is screwed up, or something is missing. The Reading Eagle is posting a notice on the 19th about an ordinance to be considered on the 17th?
    From the link:

Appeared in: Reading Eagle on Wednesday, 06/09/2010
    Looks like the next meeting is July 15th
    http://oleytownship.org/meetings.html

Board of Supervisors - the third Thursday of every month at 7:00PM.
    2010 dates: Jan. 4 , Jan. 28, Feb. 18, Mar. 18, Apr. 15, May 20, June 17, July 15, Aug. 19, Sept. 23, Oct. 28, Nov. 18, Dec. 16

All meetings are held at the Township Building at 1 Rose Virginia Rd. in Oley
    Last edited by anonymouse; June 19th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

(Indiana County)

If the meeting is in July, and the ordinance has not yet passed, attend the meeting and inform them quite bluntly of what you will do if they pass it.

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Either the subject title is wrong, or the Reading Eagle is screwed up, or something is missing. The Reading Eagle is posting a notice on the 19th about an ordinance to be considered on the 17th?

Did the ordinance pass or not? The OP didn't specifically state such.

If it did pass, the following is needed to be done by a resident of the township:

STAT:

Sorry for the timeline mix-up - The Eagle posted TODAY the article and quote by the police chief noting the ordinance passed on the 17th. In my attempt to provide back-up info - I found the full text posted in the June 9th issue.................................

The Eagle got it right (this time)................long and short:

OLEY approved/passed the ordinance on the 17th.

(Luzerne County)

I've gotta run, but wanted to throw in that I will plan to be at the July 15 meeting.
    My advice for a plan of action is two fold.
    Organize the criminal complaint, per Statowski's suggestion.
    Take complaint and supporting paperwork to the July meeting and give them all the information and that one opportunity to rescind the illegal ordinance.
    Those willing can also challenge the ordinance by going armed, as I, and apparently excel will be.

We need a local to spearhead this. Any volunteers?

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lehigh County)

Well I can definitely make their next meeting. I'm not a resident of Oley Township (Weisenberg Township here) though, so it would be great to have a Oley Township resident lead this effort.

Edit to add:

Rep. Kessler has a Town Hall meeting on July 8th, at 7 pm, the location's at 1 Rose Virginia Road, Oley. Barring some unforeseen event I plan on going and questioning him about this.

I'm also e-mailing my State Representative to see if he's willing to approach Representative Kessler about this since they both represent parts of Berks County, I'm also sending an e-mail to Rep. Rohrer along the same lines.

2nd edit: E-mails sent, I'll put responses in a new post once I get them.
    Last edited by IronSight; June 19th, 2010 at 02:01 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I've gotta run, but wanted to throw in that I will plan to be at the July 15 meeting.
    My advice for a plan of action is two fold.
    Organize the criminal complaint, per Statowski's suggestion.
    Take complaint and supporting paperwork to the July meeting and give them all the information and that one opportunity to rescind the illegal ordinance.
    Those willing can also challenge the ordinance by going armed, as I, and apparently excel will be.

We need a local to spearhead this. Any volunteers?
    I dont live in the township, but Im not too far from it. Ill pencil it in, and assuming Im in town (that changes daily) Ill plan on attending, armed as well.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast