Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK 47 Recoil echoing through stock?

Yeah it's a real quick snappy recoil. Not like the 54R out of the PSL which is straight back, or .308 out of a bolt gun. Which transfers ALL that directly to you. Which I again, have no problems with. And I've shot a Savage that weighed absolutely nothing, it too with poly furniture. That rifle was so light you hardly knew you had anything in your hands. You really had to hang onto it or it got real mobile on you. But I could put my face on that thing all day and not once did I get that kind of sharp recoil to the face feeling.

It almost feels like the stock flexes or moves around under the force of the recoil. Not just back but side to side / up and down kind of thing where the stock 'hits' me in the face. I'm sure it probably isn't. But that is what it feels like.

I dunno. Guess I'll try to find some wood furniture for it on the cheap to experiement some more.

Glad to see you figured it out

(Monroe County)

I have the same problem with the fixed stock AK's. If I shoot more then 10 rounds I will have a bruise on my cheek. My solution was switching to an underfolder, but that won't work for everyone.

It's funny, I don't have this problem with any other rifle style. Maybe it's the cut of the stock or maybe it's the placement of the sights, but whatever it is it puts my cheek right on the wood and wham.

You might try holding the stock lower on your shoulder and tilting your head more. Or, you can go out and buy an underfolder.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tootie View Post
    I have the same problem with the fixed stock AK's. If I shoot more then 10 rounds I will have a bruise on my cheek. My solution was switching to an underfolder, but that won't work for everyone.

It's funny, I don't have this problem with any other rifle style. Maybe it's the cut of the stock or maybe it's the placement of the sights, but whatever it is it puts my cheek right on the wood and wham.

You might try holding the stock lower on your shoulder and tilting your head more. Or, you can go out and buy an underfolder.
    You and DC have a ton of Yugos, I'm betting that's part of the problem as the Yugo stocks have a non-standard cuts to them. I have the same problem with my fixed stock yugo. I basically have to place my noise to the receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Default CONCLUSION!

I'm not crazy. Nor am I a bitch. I went through the process of installing a 10/24 set screw in the gas block. Basically I tapped it and ran a set screw in that I ground the back off of so that just the allen head was the size of the opening. Reducing the size of the gas port. I also switched the brake to the slant brake. Gun shoots like a .223. Recoil was reduced and there's no more bolt carrier slam echoing through the stock. Spent cases are lobbed about 6 feet instead of into orbit. No cycling issues to speak of.

So I put my old brake back on...(jtac47) and it was definitely more gas being contained by the brake. But still no slam. No echo. And I could absolutely jam my cheek bone down on the pointy part of the stock and not even shoulder it tightly and fire it rapidly. Yes... I was trying to hurt myself. And I couldn't! I'm totally in love with this rifle again. Glad I put in the extra effort even though I'm sure some of you thought I was nuts.

So in conclusion... if your getting slammed in the face by the bolt carrier. It's a fairly straight forward fix. And imo, not something you have to put up with. Ha! Take that AK!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: CONCLUSION!

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I'm not crazy. Nor am I a bitch. I went through the process of installing a 10/24 set screw in the gas block. Basically I tapped it and ran a set screw in that I ground the back off of so that just the allen head was the size of the opening. Reducing the size of the gas port. I also switched the brake to the slant brake. Gun shoots like a .223. Recoil was reduced and there's no more bolt carrier slam echoing through the stock. Spent cases are lobbed about 6 feet instead of into orbit. No cycling issues to speak of.

So I put my old brake back on...(jtac47) and it was definitely more gas being contained by the brake. But still no slam. No echo. And I could absolutely jam my cheek bone down on the pointy part of the stock and not even shoulder it tightly and fire it rapidly. Yes... I was trying to hurt myself. And I couldn't! I'm totally in love with this rifle again. Glad I put in the extra effort even though I'm sure some of you thought I was nuts.

So in conclusion... if your getting slammed in the face by the bolt carrier. It's a fairly straight forward fix. And imo, not something you have to put up with. Ha! Take that AK!
    In soviet Russia ak takes u!
    Gott mit uns

(Allegheny County)

Well at this point it's still like AK 5, me 1. But I'll take the one. It was all that I had issue with anyway. Outside of that I love the damn thing just how it is.

I kept the light furniture on it too.

It was simply a gas system thing.

(Blair County)

I'm not crazy. Nor am I a bitch.
    Well that is still up for debate ; )

Glad to hear ya got it all solved
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Allegheny County)

Your lucky I like you...

Lol!

I'm not crazy. Nor am I a bitch. I went through the process of installing a 10/24 set screw in the gas block. Basically I tapped it and ran a set screw in that I ground the back off of so that just the allen head was the size of the opening. Reducing the size of the gas port. I also switched the brake to the slant brake.
    I'm kinda confused as to what you did. Where in the gas block did you put this screw? I'm lost. Post a pic if you can because your verbal description leaves a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by JP8; June 12th, 2010 at 09:27 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast