Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Carbon County)

Default Rifle/Shotgun Car Transport?

According to what I've read from the NRA/ILA PA Pamphlet that it is illegal in PA to transport a loaded rifle/shotgun in a Motor Vehicle (MV) even with a License to Carry Firearms.

The NRA/ILA also mentions: "A weapon is considered loaded if there is ammunition capable of being fired in the firing chamber, any cylinder of a revolver, in a non-detachable magazine, or in a detachable magazine that is attached or in the same container or compartment as the firearm"
    However, the pamphlets that accompany each purchase in PA dont go into this detail about what is considered "loaded".

So I'm wondering....

Apparently even with a License to Carry when driving my rifle to the range in even a locked case with the ammo it appears to be illegal.

But.... Just about everybody I know has their AR15 in a "range case"
    with the outside magazine holders. Is this "legal"? Is this in compliance since technically the rifle is in one container and the magazines in a seperate container even though they are connected?

I cant find any specific PA definition to explain this.

Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Archiver; April 5th, 2006 at 11:18 PM.
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!