Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Bulletproof backpack?!

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...our-child.html

Thats ridiculous IMO, and I'd think a kid holding that against a shot, even a 9mm, meanwhile a rifle its gonna bend and just deflect right into them. Whats next?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Bulletproof backpack?!

I see a gun control JA. Trying to make a buck. and the video is just lame. What a total waste, but parents that are paranoid will probably buy this for their kids thinking it will save their life, and when it doesn't they will be the first to sue.

(Allegheny County)

Actually this could be a good idea. Admittedly at first when I read this I was like wth good is that.

Then it got me thinking.

What if someone at VT would have had one? that could very well have been another life said. Maybe they would have been shot in the leg or something, but at that point if I was unarmed and in that situation, I would have given a left arm for one of those backpacks.

I would have probably gone and tackled the guy either way, but if I had one of these to stop them 22's and 9 my chances would be a lot better I'd be alive after doing it.

So I dont think we should all be bashing this just yet. I'm considering having my lil cousins get one, and working out a fun little training program. A flipped over desk and making a shelter is an easy thing to teach with this. you flip over the desk and then use the backpack to cover you head and back. Now if someone breaks through the door shooting they'd be protected by the desk and from ricochet at the rear.

(Potter County)

the stupid politicans would make them illegal like bullet proof vests are in some states are to the public. claiming they will be used buy evil-dooers

this would be just another way of defence that innocent victims would be denied

as to the idea....sales by fear, but in some areas of the country there may be a need since the judical system a failed so miserably in keeping evil-dooers in jail or deporting them (i.e. N.J.)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...our-child.html

Thats ridiculous IMO, and I'd think a kid holding that against a shot, even a 9mm, meanwhile a rifle its gonna bend and just deflect right into them. Whats next?
    Well in england, they have knife proof clothing..
    Seems to me when I was in school our backpacks where pretty bullet proof, mind you back then we actually carried books in them.
    The other thing that seems odd to me is back then, I used to be able to bring my .22 and or pellet gun to school so I could go target shooting after school...

Odd how thimes have changed, When I lived with my sister I would take my gun out every day, go to a sand pit, meet up with a bunch of guys, and we would shoot all day. Today this same sister claims having no Guns in Quebec makes it safer..
    Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    as to the idea....sales by fear, but in some areas of the country there may be a need since the judical system a failed so miserably in keeping evil-dooers in jail or deporting them (i.e. N.J.)
    If I recall well, the NJ event happened in such a way, a backpack would have done very little to help, the kids where shot execution style.
    Last edited by Frenchy; August 16th, 2007 at 09:03 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    Actually this could be a good idea. Admittedly at first when I read this I was like wth good is that.

Then it got me thinking.

What if someone at VT would have had one? that could very well have been another life said. Maybe they would have been shot in the leg or something, but at that point if I was unarmed and in that situation, I would have given a left arm for one of those backpacks.

I would have probably gone and tackled the guy either way, but if I had one of these to stop them 22's and 9 my chances would be a lot better I'd be alive after doing it.

So I dont think we should all be bashing this just yet. I'm considering having my lil cousins get one, and working out a fun little training program. A flipped over desk and making a shelter is an easy thing to teach with this. you flip over the desk and then use the backpack to cover you head and back. Now if someone breaks through the door shooting they'd be protected by the desk and from ricochet at the rear.
    Skuggi,
    You're one of the few people who would have the sense to teach a kid how it could be used and what to do in a crisis situation.

The problem is, these things are going to be sold to people who are scared sheep and they will foolishly believe that by handing their children a "bulletproof" backpack, they are now safe from "gun nuts".
    That's not any better than buying a gun, never shooting it, placing it under your bed and thinking you're "safe".

Seems like a marketing/money making way to play on peoples fears more than anything. For example, do you really think that Coppertone cares if you get skin cancer? I'm guessing they sell sunblock to make money hand-over-fist and I'm willing to bet that their sales go up every time a "medical-editor" on a newscast mentions the dangers of the sun's damaging rays.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

It definitely could be used to help in a shooting situation, but only if the kid knew how to use it, and the shooter was at a distance. Not really a new concept, they've had ballistic briefcases for years. I think there was a case for the MAC-10 that could be used in a similar fashion.

I think they're using fear tactics for selling them, which I find distasteful. Very subtle how they Neil Young's "Ohio" playing over it.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Philadelphia County)

Now! Available for the little women in your home...

its not just a Bullet-Proof Backpack, its also a Chastity Device!

Don't delay, order yours today!

Chastity Belt sold separatley,
    batteries not included,
    prohibited in NJ, MA, CA, NY and anywhre else where self-defence is illegal. Cannot ship to the UK.
    Come on fellas! Can I get some venture capital??
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Come on fellas! Can I get some venture capital??
    How in the world did I just know that you'd be all over that one? lol!!!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Erie County)

They had something similiar to this on tv the other day. Apparantly there has been a rash of attacks in British schools and some parents were calling for bullet proof school uniforms lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast