Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Gun/Narcotic question

I bought my first firearm yesterday, and was already in the works to acquire another. However, I just found out from my doc that I have to have my tonsils yanked, soon, which is apparently a big deal for a 36 year old. He said that I will be on "heavy-duty narcotics" for 2-4 weeks.

I don't even drink much beer these days, much less have "heavy duty narcotic" experience. I am just wondering if I should put my next purchase on hold and get a buddy to hold my Taurus until I am off of "heavy-duty narcotics" or what. I figure myself as a pretty sane, down to earth guy, but am somewhat concerned that these meds will affect my judgement or something.

Any other people that had "heavy-duty narcotics", surgeries, etc and what do you do with your firearms in the process? Am I over-thinking this situation due to my newbieness? The timing of this situation is such a pisser in so many ways. I guess since it's been 20+ years since I've fired a gun, and have never taken such an intimidating cocktail of....whatever. The thought of some guy on oxicottins or valiums [or whatever "heavyduty narcotics" are] having a gun, especially me, is somewhat unsettling.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Gun/Narcotic question

Hmmm...I thought I posted this in the "question" section.

(Chester County)

I am pretty sure that letting someone hold your handgun it against the law. I'll let some of the Law Gurus confirm that though If you are worried I would lock the gun up and give your friend the key

(Luzerne County)

Really? That stinks.

Any advice from a LEO/Lawyer or someone on the best way to go about this? I guess I could even lock it up and just give someone the key even. Surely someone has had this situation before.

Edit: I see you changed your post to what I was thinking...
    Last edited by CarolinaGuy; March 19th, 2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Chester County)

Unless your friend has a LTCF you cannot give him your handgun to hold. Atleast that's how I think it works.

Anyway... The doc is probably going to put you on vicodin or percocet. Both are more apt to make you sleepy while killing the pain. I highly doubt you'll do anything out of the ordinary or dangerous while you are on them. I'd be more worried about you trying to drive.

I was just on vicodin last month after having a tooth pulled. No big deal. I had percocet a couple years ago when I had a killer ear infection. again... no big deal.

The painkillers are not going to turn you into a killer. As XD said if it will make you feel better, then lock it up and give the key to a friend for safe keeping.

EDIT:: Good luck and a speedy recovery. It's not easy as an adult. enjoy the meds.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Luzerne County)

ask your doctor if the meds are as bad as you are thinking and if it would impare your judgement. are you not going to drive while taking these meds?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

first...good luck with the surgery...i hope all goes well.

personally, i think you might be worrying about something you don't need to worry about. i think just putting the guns away and not touching them while under the influence of the narcotics will be fine. i don't think the narcotics will affect your judgement enough to make you want to go take the guns out of your safe (or whereever you store them) without some provocation.

but, if you are concerned, maybe dissassemble the guns and keep the parts in separate locations. if you are so impaired by the narcotics to have the desire to do something stupid, you will prolly also be impaired enough to not be able to find all the parts and reassemble the gun.

i dunno though...just an idea...maybe not even a good one.

at any rate, good luck with the surgery.

(Franklin County)

I think if the doc was going to have you on meds that would affect your judgement that much, he would insist that you not be alone during that time.

If he's sending you home alone with your meds, I think you'll be OK.

If you're really worried about it, break them down with the frame one place and the slides another, with your ammo in yet another room.

Sorry, Toyota beat me to it.

(Luzerne County)

I've had vicodin years back for my wisdom teeth yankage, I didn't think that was a big deal. I have another appt' next week, I'll ask him specifically. If it is something far-out there, I might post it to see anyone's experience. Otherwise, I'll just lock it up and give away the key.

Technically, I guess I could flip out with my chainsaws as well, but those are far more routine to me.

I just got this mental image of me naked on the rooftop at 3am pulling a Yosemite Sam or something.

And no, I will not be driving a car.

(Allegheny County)

you can lone your gun to anyone with a valid LTCF

but, in this circumstance I would say just put them away. The most youll be doing in sleeping alot. Dont drive.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast