Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Muscle Milk

(Lawrence County)

Default Muscle Milk

How is this stuff used? I bought a bottle of it yesterday, how do i use it? there's no instructions.... do i take it BEFORE the workout? or after. It says energy suppliment which leads me to believe it's before, but i'm not sure... anyone have any experience with this stuff?
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Muscle Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    How is this stuff used? I bought a bottle of it yesterday, how do i use it? there's no instructions.... do i take it BEFORE the workout? or after. It says energy suppliment which leads me to believe it's before, but i'm not sure... anyone have any experience with this stuff?
    I know some supplements tell you an hour before. Since the body requires increased blood flow in the abdominal area for digestion I would rather drink it an hour or so after a workout. If you do an evening workout then maybe an hour before bed also.

(Chester County)

first of all, it has a lot of casein protein in it, and it does not "shake" or stir well. Use a blender or you're going to get thick gorpy lumps - very hard to choke down.

Secondly, it is a protein blend, with whey (fast acting) and casein (slow acting). Use it after a workout for recovery, and/or before bed (casein turns into a gel in your gut making you feel full for a long time). If you're on a bulking cycle use it more frequently, if your cutting I would not recommend musclemilk as it's loaded with saturated fat (they advertise "energy" because the medium chain triglycerides burn like a carb, but its saturated fat) and with any meal during a cut, keep a hawk's eye on the calories for fat loss progress.

Musclemilk is delicious, because of the fat content. Ive used it in the past, and while it is tastes good, I have found better supplements that taste almost as good. My personal recommendation for a protein supplement would be Optimum's procomplex in vanilla. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/pro.html (select "creamy vanilla" from the drop down box and compare the nutrition facts - it has the best macro nutrient breakdown Ive ever seen and it mixes well with a spoon). your call.

(Lawrence County)

thank you defleshed... great advice!

and also you as well exbiker... helping as always

(Monroe County)

I've started using this:

http://www.puritan.com/soy-products-...t-creme-016850

It seems to work pretty well as far as rebuilding muscle so I can workout with less fatigue the next day, also I'm not feeling as much soreness even though I'm pushing myself harder during the workouts then I was before I started taking it.

Mental benefit or real benefit? no idea.

I've read lots of reports that there is a "key window" where you should really take in those extra proteins, carbs, and acids that are key to muscle growth, I think the "average" is within 1 - 2 hours of finishing your workout, waiting longer then that doesn't have as much of an impact as the muscles are not open to absorbing as much of the key nutrients as they are right after a workout.

If you get the powder check out the "Bullet Blender". Crystal and I got one for Xmas from my parents and it works perfect for blending up shakes without getting out the big huge blender to make a 16 oz drink, mixes up right in the cup, cleanup takes about 3 seconds (run the "Blade lid" under the water and its clean and you drink right out of the blender cup.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bullet-E.../dp/B000AEZVRS

Also just a suggestion... try getting a shake mix that tastes good with WATER instead of milk, it'll save you quite a few calories that you won't miss. The link for the Soy Protein I put up top actually tastes good with a handful of frozen strawberries, mixed berries, a banana etc. It becomes a snack instead of punishment
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I've started using this:

http://www.puritan.com/soy-products-...t-creme-016850

It seems to work pretty well as far as rebuilding muscle so I can workout with less fatigue the next day, also I'm not feeling as much soreness even though I'm pushing myself harder during the workouts then I was before I started taking it.

Mental benefit or real benefit? no idea.

I've read lots of reports that there is a "key window" where you should really take in those extra proteins, carbs, and acids that are key to muscle growth, I think the "average" is within 1 - 2 hours of finishing your workout, waiting longer then that doesn't have as much of an impact as the muscles are not open to absorbing as much of the key nutrients as they are right after a workout.

If you get the powder check out the "Bullet Blender". Crystal and I got one for Xmas from my parents and it works perfect for blending up shakes without getting out the big huge blender to make a 16 oz drink, mixes up right in the cup, cleanup takes about 3 seconds (run the "Blade lid" under the water and its clean and you drink right out of the blender cup.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bullet-E.../dp/B000AEZVRS

Also just a suggestion... try getting a shake mix that tastes good with WATER instead of milk, it'll save you quite a few calories that you won't miss. The link for the Soy Protein I put up top actually tastes good with a handful of frozen strawberries, mixed berries, a banana etc. It becomes a snack instead of punishment

hahaha! yeah i know. I got one of those bullet blenders yesterday at walmart. It says on the back of this protein bottle i got with it that it's suggested to be taken no later than 30 minutes after workout.

I've also purchased those Centrum complete multi vitamins for "mens health". Tell ya what.... I don't know if it's like someone else said, "Mental" or actually physical, but I do feel more energenic now, more alert, and all around better... I guess when this happens though the thought is, WHO CARES! HAHA! as long as your feeling better right?

(Monroe County)

hahaha! yeah i know. I got one of those bullet blenders yesterday at walmart. It says on the back of this protein bottle i got with it that it's suggested to be taken no later than 30 minutes after workout.

I've also purchased those Centrum complete multi vitamins for "mens health". Tell ya what.... I don't know if it's like someone else said, "Mental" or actually physical, but I do feel more energenic now, more alert, and all around better... I guess when this happens though the thought is, WHO CARES! HAHA! as long as your feeling better right?
    I've never used the Centrum vitamins but most are time release / water soluble, when you take most vitamins you should chug a shitload of water (yes thats an offical measurement :P ), as water typically aids in more absorption, thus less loss of the vitamins in the tablet, ie: you want it to break down and get absorbed prior to it being lost.

The positive impact should be pretty quickly apparent, want to see something shitty, take them for 3 - 4 weeks, and then don't take them for a day and only drink 1 - 2 glasses of water in a day. you will feel so horrible that you'll want to do nothing but sit on the couch and watch TV. Its really amazing
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.