Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question +p Ammunition Question

I recently bought some gold dot JHP's for my PX4 Storm 9mm as they didn't have any Federal Hydro Shok in stock. When I looked at the load it's 124 grain +p I tried looking to make certain that my pistol can take those loads (Which I assume it can) Just wanted to see everyones take on +p.

Thanks,

- IV Josh IV

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: +p Ammunition Question

Don't use +p if isn't written on the barrel.

Read the manual it will say it in there, but the PX4 should be fine with +P, you have a rotating block which is very strong and will also take +P+

(Centre County)

To the best of my knowledge and from stuff I have read, +p and even +P+ should be fine in most modern pistols. However if you have doubts call the pistol manufacturer or check their web site. They would be able to tell you for certain.

Beretta states in there manual that the PX4 is +P rated they go on to say that that design is the toughest design that they make. Others that have fired +p ammo in there gun say it is accurate round others just say it is powerful. I don't think you will have any problems firing +p ammo in a PX4. Even the 92sf could handle that round for a while. Having tested the near 357 mag like 9mm corbon +p+ in my 92sf & Px4 with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by IV Josh IV View Post
    I recently bought some gold dot JHP's for my PX4 Storm 9mm as they didn't have any Federal Hydro Shok in stock. When I looked at the load it's 124 grain +p I tried looking to make certain that my pistol can take those loads (Which I assume it can) Just wanted to see everyones take on +p.

Thanks,

- IV Josh IV
    It's fine to use. But it will accelerate wear. The warranty may not cover it's use. Honestly the Gold Dot +P rounds are very mild by +P standards.

(Philadelphia County)

i wouldnt have a problem shooting the hottest rounds out of any of my guns. if its an antique gun i wouldnt.

(Montgomery County)

I always loaded +p self-defense rounds in my Browning Hi-Power when under my mattress for self-defense. Will do the same with my Spec Ops 9. Shot +p very little as it is more expensive and puts more wear on a gun. Would think that you would be best served mostly shooting regular 9mm rounds at the range and just a few +p for practice and while carrying. I don't think that will really have much effect on any good-quality, modern handgun.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the responses, Yeah when I'm at the range I certainly don't shoot +p but I should fire a few just to see how they feel, as they cost about $1 or so per round. Eventually though I'll probably just carry federal non +p JHP as I heard great things about it.

So what is your favorite ammo to use for range firing?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV Josh IV View Post
    Thanks for the responses, Yeah when I'm at the range I certainly don't shoot +p but I should fire a few just to see how they feel, as they cost about $1 or so per round. Eventually though I'll probably just carry federal non +p JHP as I heard great things about it.

So what is your favorite ammo to use for range firing?
    The cheap stuff. Some people get super butt hurt when I suggest what I'm about suggest, so take it as you will...

If you don't reload (I don't) the cheapest target ammo is steel cased. I've shot thousands of rounds of the stuff and have never had a problem. Supposedly it can be hard on your extractor, but I've never seen any indication of this. I've put at least a case of .40 Tulammo through a Glock 27 and a Kahr with no issues except for a couple (less than 10) hard primers. Lots of 9mm too.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast