Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Another safe humidity thread!

So a few months back I bought a "24" gun safe. Since then I've been really paranoid about humidity and rust.

I have it in the basement. Temps stay rather low, even in summer. Room humidity is around 50-75%. Humidity in the safe hovers around 55-65%.

I have a smaller goldenrod type heater, and a large metal can (recharge in oven) desiccant.

Isn't 65% a little on the high side?
    Would I be better off with a bigger heater, or adding another desiccant can or some other type of desiccant?

Thanks!

Default Re: Another safe humidity thread!

Quote Originally Posted by tuxie555 View Post
    So a few months back I bought a "24" gun safe. Since then I've been really paranoid about humidity and rust.

I have it in the basement. Temps stay rather low, even in summer. Room humidity is around 50-75%. Humidity in the safe hovers around 55-65%.

I have a smaller goldenrod type heater, and a large metal can (recharge in oven) desiccant.

Isn't 65% a little on the high side?
    Would I be better off with a bigger heater, or adding another desiccant can or some other type of desiccant?

Thanks!
    Run a dehumidifier in the basement. Getting bigger then you need. You can add another golden rod or one of those plug in type rechargeable ones. If you haven't seen any rust yet your probably all good.

(Delaware County)

A gasket on the door will help keep moisture out. Check the seal of the door.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    A gasket on the door will help keep moisture out. Check the seal of the door.
    My safe is one of the waterproof seal ones and was the primary reason I purchased it. I know adding a gasket could've given me the same protection, but I liked the fact it was manufactured that way and with the one I purchased, it wasn't any additional cost.

I have two golden rods in the safe, one in each side of the divider. Never really checked the humidity, but I know the temperature is at least 4 degrees warmer inside the safe than out. Been like this for 5 years and have not noticed any rust or problems to this point.

I did, however, ensure the safe itself did not sit directly on any cement as that can hold moisture, which in turn could rust the safe. I built a platform out of the work table type material (can't recall the name but it's not fiberboard or pressed wood). Under that I used several 2x4's or 2x6's to further prop off the ground and allow for some airflow under the main board. I even painted the 2x4/2x6's to make sure they would not rot easily by sitting on damp cement, plus to deter insects.

I live in a high humidity environment, lots of water around me, and my golden rod has not let me down. Not a spot of rust after putting it in the safe.
    PAFOA Doctrine - If you don't agree with someone, call them a troll and cry to a mod.