Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default New Jersey and its regulations of action inside Pennsylvania

I have a question regarding FOPA for New Jersey residents, with regards to their actions inside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

It's my understanding that New Jersey restricts the transport of firearms to unloaded, separate, locked and only directly to the range. It's also my understanding that the jurisdiction of the State of New Jersey ends at the Delaware River, and they have no ability to enforce or legislate any action within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

That being said, the "directly" in NJS 2C:39-6f(3)(b) is irrelevant once you cross over the Delaware. They're not able to govern, police or enforce your actions in another state.

I'm interested to know if I'm interpreting this correctly...

EDIT: To clarify, I am a PA resident, with a PA LTCF. I do not live, and have no interest in living, in the DPRNJ.
    Last edited by 9orangeletters; October 8th, 2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Clarification

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: New Jersey and its regulations of action inside Pennsylvania

You'd have to be going directly to, and directly from, a range in PA to be legal with NJ law.

Like, you leave your NJ home, go directly to a range in PA, shoot, then go abouts your business in PA, return to the range, shoot, then return to NJ.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You'd have to be going directly to, and directly from, a range in PA to be legal with NJ law.

Like, you leave your NJ home, go directly to a range in PA, shoot, then go abouts your business in PA, return to the range, shoot, then return to NJ.
    You need to go to and from the range but, do you need to shoot?

(Northampton County)

But my question is, how can New Jersey make that directive? They have no jurisdiction or legislative influence over Pennsylvania. Once you're in Pennsylvania, you're in Pennsylvania.

That's like saying that Canadian firearm owners who wish to come to the United States are still subject to the carry and transport laws of Canada while in the US.

We have sign-in and sign-out requirements at our range in PA which include the Time you were there......easy to check.

What's the difference between a NJ Lawyer and a Catfish...?

One is a bottom dwelling, garbage eating scavenger.....the other is a FISH.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9orangeletters View Post
    But my question is, how can New Jersey make that directive? They have no jurisdiction or legislative influence over Pennsylvania. Once you're in Pennsylvania, you're in Pennsylvania.

That's like saying that Canadian firearm owners who wish to come to the United States are still subject to the carry and transport laws of Canada while in the US.
    It's a little different though, because New Jersey isn't really regulating what you're doing in PA, but rather what you're doing in New Jersey (i.e., transporting a firearm for a reason that doesn't fit within a legal exception to the general "you can't do it" rule). It doesn't matter that you're transporting it to use it for a lawful activity in another state, unless there's a specific exception for that activity under New Jersey law (such as hunting or going to a range).

(York County)

Correct. NJ is not attempting jurisdiction over PA or the activities that occur while in PA.

No, it's not just like that, see above.

In the same way that hunters are permitted to leave a state like NJ and go to Wyoming to hunt, it is legal to leave a place of residence on NJ and go to PA to shoot at a range, or hunt, or participate in any of the other enumerated exceptions in NJ law.

It isn't what you are doing in PA. Technically, when in PA you are only subject to PA laws. The issue is whether your transport of firearms complies with NJ laws for the NJ parts of your trip.

So when you leave your home you must be going directly to the range, and when you cross back into NJ on your way back home, you must be coming directly from a range.

How you manage that, and how much risk you are willing to assume, is a personal decision. Make sense?

ETA: Maybe this will help... when leaving from NJ, a person must be traveling directly to range in PA. Once in PA, a person could then go to lunch, a friends house, whatever. Upon the return to NJ, said person must be coming directly from a range. If not, the part of the travel that takes place in NJ would be illegal. So you can't be coming back into NJ at 1:00 in the morning, hit a NJ DUI checkpoint, and admit to just coming back from the range, having arms in the trunk.

P.S.: Incidently, tl_3237 put together a report on exactly this situation... http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ly-report.html
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; September 14th, 2011 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Used "strikethrough" on bad info, thnx wa3ra.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

They can't unless you have puppet strings. I will be asking this very question at a NJ2AS meeting this December where Evan Nappen is slated to be the guest speaker. (If you're not a member you should be) Until you know for sure I'd suggest you join a range in Pa. for the 20-30 bucks a year might be well spent. They have zero control on what you do in another State, and you don't have to answer any questions. You also need to remember that most of the laws in NJ were written before people were getting Out of State CCW's. Make sure you transport your gun correctly going and coming back, do the speed limit, and go HOME once you get back to NJ...(No stopping to eat, getting a drink etc.)
    Look these guys are trying to make you aware of what MIGHT BE....and they might be right. NJ is not exactly the gun friendly State Pa. is. Until this debate is finalized with some sort of documentation or proof.....be careful.
    There are many other posts on here you might want to check out, both sides of this are trying to get an answer one way or another. There is a member on here (Tl )who has done some extensive work on this, and although not conclusive, it will make you think. I did contact the NRA-ILA several times with this question and they said it was OK.....but are you willing to go by information that may or may not be right is solely up to you.
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(Cumberland County)

the nice part of pa. is there are ranges that are 24/7, join one of these. that way you could be coming from a range anytime.

Some forgot to mention how unlawful the officers are in New Jersey along with all of the anti-gun propraganda they use while asking for a FOID.

Did I mention the restrictive law regarding JHP?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast