Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Mega Maten about done

A few months ago I decided to stall my M2HB build and get going on a long distance semi 308 gun. Just looking for something out to 600 yards or so. I loved the looks of the Maten monolithic and was ready to purchase one about the time they stopped making them. Having a list of all the parts I desired for the gun, I kept my eye out on various boards for a monolithic receiver to come up….and I got lucky about a month ago finding one that was just built, never shot, and had most of the parts I was looking for. I’ve since added a few finishing parts and about ten days ago finished to the point I am ready to sight-in/break-in. Finally had some free time this weekend to look for ammo locally, and could not find any match ammo. Wasn’t looking for much as I planned to start reloading the brass after I used that up. I have tons of crap 308 I feed through my beltfed 1919, but I’ll just have to keep scouring locally until I can get a few boxes of match ammo, then I can start to reload that brass.

Anyhow, crap cellphone pics…

As purchased:
    -Mega Monolithic upper and matching lower
    -PWS PRC compensator/melonited
    -Rainier 20” Ultramatch barrel (cerakoted)
    -Rainier match gas block (cerakoted)
    -Spikes tactical melonited gas tube
    -LPK with ambi selector, Norgon ambi mag release, KNS anti rotation pins
    -DPMS BCG, charging handle
    -Magpul PRS w/ enhanced butt pad
    -Timney trigger

A few items on it I wasn’t planning to get, like the KNS pins or the Timney trigger since I like to use Geisele triggers, but I’ll give the Timney a shot and see how I like it.

So far added myself:
    -ADS Recon QD mount (awesome mount, think I like these better than my Larue’s)
    -Millet TRS 1 4-16x 50 (all I could afford until next year, so hope it lasts)
    -Harris 6”-9” swivel bipod
    -Larue qd bipod mount
    -Ten 20rd PMags

Future changes in order:
    -Want to get an Accu-shot BT 31 QK monopod. After laying prone with the rifle and sitting on a bench, that taller height monopod seems like it will work best for me.
    -I dislike DPMS parts and would never have bought a DPMS BCG. I almost hate to even start shooting the gun with it in there, but unless Young NM BCG’s start popping up soon, I’ll probably get started using what’s in there.
    -DPMS charging handle feels like crap, again, would not have bought that. BCM Gunfighter medium will likely replace it.
    -Quality scope. Didn’t have the funds for $1000+ scope and buying the basic gun at this time, and I didn’t see any quality glass locally or in gunshows that I liked for under a grand. So I need to save up for this purchase. I think the budget Millet has enough features that it will help me tailor what I want in a better scope.

So, until I get ammo, here it sits. I plan to log every round and use a databook with this rifle. I’ll post up reports once I do get around to sending rounds downrange.
    Last edited by Steelblitz; December 24th, 2012 at 01:06 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mega Maten about done

Nice AR! I wish I had went with the Mono lithic route. I really wanted the non-railed version, but could not find any in stock, so I went with the standard upper/lower set. And this was right around when Mega announced they were not going to be producing anymore monolithic sets.

Have you considered Vortex optic scopes? I ran a 1-4 on an AR15 and it worked well. A lot of people like their offerings and the warranty is unbeatable. Lifetime transferable warranty.

I originally was going to pick up a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP model, but at the time I could afford more and went with a NF F1 instead. So it might be right up your alley if you don't want to sell your kidney. SWFA SS HD and Bushnell Elite Tactical are also putting out great scopes.

(Beaver County)

So jealous! Lol!
    I've always wanted one of those.
    Great job on the build!

(Mercer County)

Very nice build. Now can we see a pic of your beltfed 1919? My skin is turning green just thinking about it.
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    Very nice build. Now can we see a pic of your beltfed 1919? My skin is turning green just thinking about it.
    It's posted on here somewhere, probably about 3 years ago I am guessing.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    Nice AR! I wish I had went with the Mono lithic route. I really wanted the non-railed version, but could not find any in stock, so I went with the standard upper/lower set. And this was right around when Mega announced they were not going to be producing anymore monolithic sets.

Have you considered Vortex optic scopes? I ran a 1-4 on an AR15 and it worked well. A lot of people like their offerings and the warranty is unbeatable. Lifetime transferable warranty.

I originally was going to pick up a Vortex PST 6-24 FFP model, but at the time I could afford more and went with a NF F1 instead. So it might be right up your alley if you don't want to sell your kidney. SWFA SS HD and Bushnell Elite Tactical are also putting out great scopes.
    I was willing to go the non-monolithic route myself as I had just about given up hope of finding one. I was going to wait and see what their new keyhole version looked like first.

I saw two Vortex at the last HBG gunshow. One priced 699 and the other 899 I believe. There was just something about them I didnt care for with the price. Can't put my finger on it, but that's the way it goes. I've read more than my share of fair reviews on them though. I almost sprang for for either of a couple of the Bushnell Elites I was researching, but each was lacking a feature I wanted, or at least wanted to try. Now I did see a scope I liked at the show from US Optics, but were talking some coin there, hence, next years purchase as I think my cost is going to be up there for the scope I eventually settle on.

(Montgomery County)

Get on Snipershide if you are not already. I bought a USO SN3 5-25 last year from a dealer. Original price was sitting at around 3300 according to USO scope builder. It was being liquidated and was sold for 2700 with the features I wanted on it.

USOs are great that you can customize it to your wants/needs.

(York County)

Holy crap....that is one evil, sexy, black rifle. Done well and well done.