Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default CC LEO encounter

I always carry. CCing in the city and couldn't care less outside of it, so if wind blows my shirt when I'm in the burbs, then whatever, I OC in that neck of the woods anyway, so who cares, right?

I'm taking Septa Regional every day to ride to and from work, and like many of us know the crowd from my station. So there's a guy we always say hi on the way back to our cars.

Few days ago he finally asked me:

- so, who do you work for?
    - IT consulting.
    - Oh, I noticed your gun and thought you were LEO.
    - No, I'm not. (glanced at my gun, that was out in the open at the moment because of the wind) I really conceal it well only in the city because of dumbass PPD(sic), that gives us hard time exercising our rights, but burbs are different story.
    - Ha-ha! What do you carry? Looks like Glock.
    - It's Sprienglield XD9 sub compact.
    - Nice. Do you like it?
    - I love it! it's a great gun.
    - Cool. We carry Glock 23, so Glock was the first thing on my mind, when I noticed your gun underneath your shirt
    - It's a very nice gun too. Who do you work for?
    - The bureau...
    - Nice! I see some of your colleagues every now and then at the range, you guys are good shots!
    - Thanks...

So we've chatted for another couple of minutes about guns and calibers, waived each other goodbyes and went different ways. Not a single word about LTCF or ID or shit like this. I'd say EVERY LEO encounter should be like that.

God bless LEOs, who know the laws, have common sense and recognize our constitutional rights.
    Je suis déplorable

(Bucks County)

Default Re: CC LEO encounter

The bureau? BATF? FBI? Other?
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Pike County)

Fed. I guess that's the bottom line. I couldn't care less
    Je suis déplorable

It's good to hear about fun/inspiring encounters from people who CC or OC. The 'Fed' sounds like a nice guy.

I'd speculate that of the various levels of LEO (local, state, fed, etc), the broader the jurisdiction, the less likely one will encounter real 'hassels' and shakedowns.

This might be just plain wrong, but I'm guessing that the Federal LEO's are more preoccupied with REAL crimes being committed, don't get much flak for overlooking the insignificant and irrelevant details (wait, a guy with a gun?), and in a word, have 'bigger and badder fish to fry'.

On the local level, I'm guessing that LEO's are much more involved with the 'details' going on in their towns (relevant or irrelevant). Hence, it seems shakedowns are more likely to be had from local LEO's who are expected to respond to MWAG calls.

"The Burueau" would be the FBI. They are concerned with violations of Federal law and couldn't care less about state carry laws.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I always carry. CCing in the city and couldn't care less outside of it, so if wind blows my shirt when I'm in the burbs, then whatever, I OC in that neck of the woods anyway, so who cares, right?

I'm taking Septa Regional every day to ride to and from work, and like many of us know the crowd from my station. So there's a guy we always say hi on the way back to our cars.

- IT consulting.
    - No, I'm not. (glanced at my gun, that was out in the open at the moment because of the wind) I really conceal it well only in the city because of dumbass PPD(sic), that gives us hard time exercising our rights, but burbs are different story.
    - Ha-ha! What do you carry? Looks like Glock.
    - It's Sprienglield XD9 sub compact.
    - Nice. Do you like it?
    - I love it! it's a great gun.
    - Cool. We carry Glock 23, so Glock was the first thing on my mind, when I noticed your gun underneath your shirt
    - It's a very nice gun too. Who do you work for?
    - The bureau...
    - Nice! I see some of your colleagues every now and then at the range, you guys are good shots!
    - Thanks...

So we've chatted for another couple of minutes about guns and calibers, waived each other goodbyes and went different ways. Not a single word about LTCF or ID or shit like this. I'd say EVERY LEO encounter should be like that.

God bless LEOs, who know the laws, have common sense and recognize our constitutional rights.
    Cool guy. We could use a lot more like him.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brillfan View Post
    Cool guy. We could use a lot more like him.
    I'll second that!

(Chester County)

Individually and in most social situations LEOs can be pretty decent folks. The few Feds that I have had the pleasure of meeting are really outstanding - college educated, articulate and many think the way we do. I have also had the pleasure of shooting with various LEOs - local police and deputy sheriffs and they are mostly pretty cool. (Some can't shoot for shit, which is pretty scary but at least they are at the range trying.)

It's when you get them in their institutional setting that it sometimes go to hell. There is a pack mentality among uniforms and all LEOs are trying to arrest someone - it's a measure of job performance. Not that they don't give you a break sometimes but a job is a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post

- IT consulting.
    You screwed up. You should have said;

"Am I being detained or am I free to go?"

Then walked away.

J/K

Nice one! Glad to hear about a positive experience!

(Montgomery County)

Just because he works for "the bureau" (whatever THAT is supposed to mean; sounds like a little condescending, as if we're all supposed to know what "the bureau" means, or to be in awe of it) it doesn't mean he is anything besides an accountant, human resources clerk or any other "non-agent" function.

In other words, your thread heading is rather misleading, as he may quite possibly NOT have been any form of LE officer anyway.

If he has said "the bureau" to me, I'd have honestly had to ask him for an interpretation.

FBI: Federal Bureau of Interpretation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast