Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Mossberg 42M/46M

Anyone have experience with these rifles? I just started 'getting into' them and this will likely be my initial 'vintage' rifle jumping off point.

Any idea what very good to excellent condition rifles for either the 42M or 46M are worth (i.e. want to know what fair prices would be on these)?

I've already been researching information on the following site so I'm 'up' on some of the basics already.

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index.html

For whatever reason, these .22's really peaked my interest.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone has!

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Mossberg 42M/46M

I have a 46 and the later model, 146. I think I paid $175 for my 46 with the rear peep (aperture) sight on it. The Mossberg 130 rear sight alone can cost $50 or more so keep that in mind when negotiating the price. Both are great rifles. You can find bargains if you do some shopping around. When you get one, try different ammo in it. As the 1-hole group in the upper target shows, they are real shooters with ammo the gun likes. These rifles were made in the days when the factories had more gunsmiths than lawyers so they all had good, adjustable triggers. Good luck with your search.

Model 46

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Mossberg 42M/46M

Thanks for the info! At the last show, the S100 sights were going for $75 a piece, not sure if the guy had any S130's or not. So, I have been doing some research on parts for these.

Also sounds like the tube mags sometimes lose their followers. So, a small drawback on the tube feed rifles.

That is one thing that intrigues me about these older rifles. They're designed and built like tanks for .22's. I mean, the bolts themselves look about what I have on my Ruger .223's and similar to the Remington short actions. The bolts aren't the 'save cost' examples you see in .22's today.

Really appreciate the info and will continue to keep my eye out.

Thanks!