Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Various Pistol Prices versus 1911 Price

I've been doing a lot of reading about pistols lately, thinking about getting one. I'll be honest, I'm in love with the design and aesthetic features of the 1911. Been looking at a few Kimber options, Para Ordnance.

Anyways, but I have to wonder, why, when everyone raves about Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, do many 1911s costs several hundred dollars more? Are they more accurate? I've heard almost everything "advantage X" where X is glock, XD, M&P, when compared to the 1911. I want to get a 1911, but how can I justify the extra expenditure. Especially if I go with Kimber, which has a bunch of options over 1,000, or, a few over $1300. You could get 2.5 glocks for that cost.

My basic question: Why are 1911 designs so much more expensive than the glock, XD, M&P, when everyone says the latter three are either better or just as good as the 1911?

Furthermore, why is a Kimber 1911 so much more than (whatever other brand) 1911.

Thanks

(Erie County)

Default Re: Various Pistol Prices versus 1911 Price

There is a lot of little parts in a 1911 and the entire pistol except for grips is machined metal. Kimber has a huge variety at different price levels and they feel they can charge more for their quality. An even better question might be why all the polymer pistols cost so much.

Let's see, you can get a basic 1911 for around $500, you can get a glock for around $550 if you go on a good day... You can dress up a 1911, bring it up all the way past $2500 and more... You can dress up a glock and still have a $550 to 600 piece of plastic. What you are in fact doing is comparing a gun to an other, but to be fair, you are not comparing the same class of guns.

It would be like comparing a wheel barrel to a GMC pickup, then said why are Silverado's $47,000 .. Well you could by the basic GMC for $17,000 but if you want the heating leather seats and all the options, you pay a tiny bit more...

Just because you can haul dirt in a wheel barrel, don't make it a great pickup... but hey, its got a wheel and a "box" of sorts.
    Now there are a lot of good things to be said about a good wheel Barrel, they do not depreciate, you can mix cement in them, they do not cost any gas, a drip of grease once in a while keeps it running, and to boot, if you have a clean wheel Barrel, push the arms down and it converts into a very comfy seat to eat lunch in!
    I have seen a wheel barrel come down off the 6th floor full of cement and the worked went down got his wheel barrel and started to work again. they are much tougher then any GMC you will ever find...

Like some one once said, for $75 they can produce a polimer gun, why is it that you cant buy it for $200 to 300 ?

S&W has the same type gun in the Sigma, but they do not charge you for the name like Glock does.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Let's see, you can get a basic 1911 for around $500, you can get a glock for around $550 if you go on a good day... You can dress up a 1911, bring it up all the way past $2500 and more... You can dress up a glock and still have a $550 to 600 piece of plastic. What you are in fact doing is comparing a gun to an other, but to be fair, you are not comparing the same class of guns.
    S&W has the same type gun in the Sigma, but they do not charge you for the name like Glock does.
    Standard Glocks, $489 everyday at Bob's Gun Shop, McKean, Pa. Taurus PT1911, $569, S&W M&P9, $499, Kahr P45 $609. Why are Kahrs so pricey? The Sigmas are better than they used to be but I wouldn't really compare them to a Glock unless you mean manufacturing methods.

(Lehigh County)

You can't go wrong with a 1911. They are a great gun. Fun to shoot, easy to handle. Kimber Eclipse is a great looking gun and can take a beating and keep running.

You don't have to justify the extra expenditure. I can get a brand new Rock Island Armory 1911A1 GI model for $380, a Tactical model for about $420, and their Target model (Rock Island's version of a Gold Cup) for $600.

My wife, my step-father, and my best friend all own Rock Island Armory guns. Like just about every report I've read on them, their experience has been flawless. The guns are very accurate, and have been superbly reliable.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Monroe County)

Cost to manufacture.

Glock's total cost are around 75.00 each (According to Forbes article that Glock spoke in).
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Franklin County)

Just to tag onto the original question - because I have the same question: Are there distict differences/advantages between 1911s and some of the others mentioned? Differences between 1911s? Example: Why is a Kimber considered 'better' than a RIA or Springfield 1911? Are some considered more accurate, more durable, less reliable, or??

Understand personal preferences come into play, but there must be some (perceived?) advantages among various manufacturers/models to justify several hundred dollars price difference... someone must be buying the expensive ones for some reason??

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaniels2006 View Post
    Especially if I go with Kimber, which has a bunch of options over 1,000, or, a few over $1300. You could get 2.5 glocks for that cost.
    Here are a few thoughts I have on the cost of pistols.

1. It's more satisfying to have one pistol that you really love than another 2.5 Glocks.

2. It does not take very long in the life of a gun before the cost of the firearm is eclipsed by the cost of ammo.

3. If you are going to trust your life to a pistol, or invest hundreds/thousands of hours of your time to cleaning, shooting, competing, discussing, researching, modifying a gun.

Glocks are swell and have their place, but so do high-end and custom pistols. If one is in your budget, go for it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

It would be like comparing a wheel barrel to a GMC pickup, then said why are Silverado's $47,000 .. Well you could by the basic GMC for $17,000 but if you want the heating leather seats and all the options, you pay a tiny bit more...

Just because you can haul dirt in a wheel barrel, don't make it a great pickup... but hey, its got a wheel and a "box" of sorts.
    Now there are a lot of good things to be said about a good wheel Barrel, they do not depreciate, you can mix cement in them, they do not cost any gas, a drip of grease once in a while keeps it running, and to boot, if you have a clean wheel Barrel, push the arms down and it converts into a very comfy seat to eat lunch in!
    I have seen a wheel barrel come down off the 6th floor full of cement and the worked went down got his wheel barrel and started to work again. they are much tougher then any GMC you will ever find...

Right. So, in this analogy the glock is the wheel barrel, right, and the 1911 is the ...whatever pick up truck you're talking about.

So, the wheel barrel moves at like 4 mph, pushed, the car moves at 60mph, no effort, carries bigger loads..

Yes, I see the advantages there. But what advantages do the 1911s have over the glock/xd/m&p? They have less firepower, for the most part, so, what advantages do they have?

As of yet, no one has mentioned any advantage, but rather instead complained about the price of the glock...So I'm starting to think there is no advantage? In which case my 1911 purchase would just be vanity. Which I'm fine with by the way, but still, I'd love to hear why the 1911 should be more expensive than the glock/xd/m&p, which are all reliable weapons.

I think so far the only real response has been "because they're made of metal"...? Is that it?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast