Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default how to mount a red dot?

Hey Folks,

Just bought a red dot sight. Can someone please tell when where it is to be mounted. I realize it should be on the top rail but should it be closer to the butt stock or the barrel? If it is to be mounted closer to the barrel do I remove the rear magpul flip up sight or just in front of it?

I know this is a newbie question so please keep the mocking to a minimum

(Wayne County)

Default Re: how to mount a red dot?

As long as you can see through it I don't think it's location really matters..

(Delaware County)

Eye relief is infinite, so that isn't an issue. The closer you mount it to your eye, the larger the field of view through the tube.

(Chester County)

if you are talking about an AR, the recommendation is to keep a set of iron sights on it. So just mount the red dot forward of it. How far forward is personal preference.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    if you are talking about an AR, the recommendation is to keep a set of iron sights on it. So just mount the red dot forward of it. How far forward is personal preference.
    Understood, the next question is can one of the mounting brackets be on the upper rail and one on the hand guard? in order to keep both the rear sight and the red dot on thats what I would need to do because the eye piece hits the rear sight.

(Schuylkill County)

Don't bridge the gap....

(York County)

Unless it is a one-piece rail system, I wouldn't recommend it (ie, a monolithic rail). If you're mounting an Aimpoint-style red dot I like to keep mine as far forward as possible, since it allows for more peripheral vision. If you have an EOTech or Cmore sight, it doesn't make that much a difference because there isn't much body around the sight itself.

If you already have the Magpul MBUIS make sure they are mounted as close to the charging handle as possible (assuming you're talking about an AR) and from there just try different distances.

If your sight is exceptionally heavy think about how you want the balance of your gun. If you are using a vertical foregrip this will be different than if you are using a magwell hold.

The Magpul MBUIS are kind of a pain since they mount bulkier than most other BUIS's, but you should be able to mount both on there if you are mounting it to a standard carbine length top rail of an AR.

The reason you don't want to attach half to the receiver and half to the barrel rail system is that there is usually some play in the rail system (if you have a quad rail) and it will be near impossible to keep a good zero. It also makes takedown a pain because you would have to remove your sight to remove the handguard/top rail.

What kind of gun and what kind of optic are we talking about?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew17019 View Post
    Unless it is a one-piece rail system, I wouldn't recommend it (ie, a monolithic rail). If you're mounting an Aimpoint-style red dot I like to keep mine as far forward as possible, since it allows for more peripheral vision. If you have an EOTech or Cmore sight, it doesn't make that much a difference because there isn't much body around the sight itself.

If you already have the Magpul MBUIS make sure they are mounted as close to the charging handle as possible (assuming you're talking about an AR) and from there just try different distances.

If your sight is exceptionally heavy think about how you want the balance of your gun. If you are using a vertical foregrip this will be different than if you are using a magwell hold.

The Magpul MBUIS are kind of a pain since they mount bulkier than most other BUIS's, but you should be able to mount both on there if you are mounting it to a standard carbine length top rail of an AR.

The reason you don't want to attach half to the receiver and half to the barrel rail system is that there is usually some play in the rail system (if you have a quad rail) and it will be near impossible to keep a good zero. It also makes takedown a pain because you would have to remove your sight to remove the handguard/top rail.

What kind of gun and what kind of optic are we talking about?
    Its a stag arms model 2T and the sight is a bushmaster trophy. You are correct about the magpul bulky thing.

(Lackawanna County)

Mine ended up about here; flat top with an extension rail under the scope; there's enough room for the flip-up caps to open without hitting the rear sights.

If I leave the iron sites on, I can view the dot through either of the magpul peeps, and the dot lines right up on the front sight. I can effectively hit the same POI regardless of combination.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(York County)

For the Bushmaster Tropy sight (or any ACOG look-alike) you don't have the ability to co-witness your irons since it is magnified. Because of this it doesn't really matter if you can bring your BUIS up, but you probably do want them on there just in case your optics go to hell.

When I was using an ACOG I kept my iron sights on, but they weren't able to be put up unless I took the ACOG off, they were just there as a backup in case the ACOG got busted. If you can't fit the Magpul one on whatsoever, I wouldn't sweat it, unless this is a service weapon or you're using it for something crazy you can probably just roll with your optics and no BUIS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast