Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Florida Non-Resident Carry Permit

Hey guys,

I have searched the forums a few times but haven't found the info I am looking for, so if its out there please give me a link so I can check out other threads too.

I am a South Jersey resident (yes, we are way different than "jersey" - we really do need to succeed from the rest of the state...) that is living in Philadelphia for college. I am up here during the week and go home pretty much every weekend. I am attending a FL non-resident concealed carry workshop at my Sportsmen's Club on August 3rd and have a few questions about reciprocity and what size weapon is OK to carry.

I know PA and FL have reciprocity. My question is: Does my FL non-resident work the same way a PA LTCF works? Can I open carry in PA without being a PA resident, but have the FL non-res.?

I currently have a Beretta 92FS 9mm. I am planning on getting a Springfield XD .45 in the near future. Is my Beretta too large to carry? If it is - should I get the XD Compact 4" or the Sub-Compact 3" (doesn't have .45 cal option!)?

I just got a Blackhawk Serpa holster for my Beretta, but I don't think that would work for concealed carry very well during the summer. I have been checking out other IWB holsters that have come up in discussion on the forums, and have singled it down to a few manufacturers. The issue of comfort comes to mind though, since I ride a bicycle almost everywhere in the city - does anyone else ride a bike while wearing an IWB? Does it print?

These are all things I will figure out on my own in the upcoming weeks/months but any information you guys can help me with is much appreciated! Thanks guys and gals!

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Florida Non-Resident Carry Permit

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I know PA and FL have reciprocity. My question is: Does my FL non-resident work the same way a PA LTCF works? Can I open carry in PA without being a PA resident, but have the FL non-res.?
    Yes. Pennsylvania will honor Florida's permit for Conceal carry. If you plan on open carrying in Philadelphia, the police may take umbrage at your out of state license. Doubtless, your school will. Be **DAMNED** sure you know what the schools weapons policy is.

I currently have a Beretta 92FS 9mm. I am planning on getting a Springfield XD .45 in the near future. Is my Beretta too large to carry? If it is - should I get the XD Compact 4" or the Sub-Compact 3" (doesn't have .45 cal option!)?
    Open carry is no problem, my wife OC's her Beretta. I can't answer the conceal question 'cause I don't know what you look like. If you are a 6'5, 280 pounds moose of a man, sure, conceal away. If you are 4 foot nothing and 85 pounds soaking wet, maybe more of a challenge.

I just got a Blackhawk Serpa holster for my Beretta, but I don't think that would work for concealed carry very well during the summer. I have been checking out other IWB holsters that have come up in discussion on the forums, and have singled it down to a few manufacturers. The issue of comfort comes to mind though, since I ride a bicycle almost everywhere in the city - does anyone else ride a bike while wearing an IWB? Does it print?

These are all things I will figure out on my own in the upcoming weeks/months but any information you guys can help me with is much appreciated! Thanks guys and gals!
    No I don't ride, but my *opinion* would be that an IWB holster would get hot and sweaty. Maybe someone who uses them could address that. As far as printing, depends on what you are wearing while riding. Jeans and a shirt, not so much. Spandex biking shorts....well, anyway.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

Thanks for the reply. To clarify - I'm 6' even and 210 pounds. When I ride my bike its usually with t-shirt and shorts.

As for Drexel's weapons policy - it says that you cannot carry while in a Drexel owned building, but can carry on campus as long as you are not in a vehicle. If you want more info I can point you in the direction of their policy. I plan on writing a letter to someone at Drexel (not sure who yet) in order to ask about their policy and make general comments to them. I am part of the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus at Drexel, but so far I don't think we have done much. I am trying to get our campus leaders to try and do something or try to get more organized.

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Philadelphia County)

I'm kinda curious about the whole IWB holster idea... I haven't yet to ride down Kelly Dr. or West River Dr at night but if I did... Well... Yeah... I used to ride my bike all over the place when I was living in Art Museum(through north philly to Temple ect...) and now that I think of it damn I was stupid not to have any defense lol...

Art Museum is real close, Im up on 38th and Spring Garden Street. Friend of mine was mugged at gun point right in front of my apartment, and yet I am still unarmed I ride through Fairmount Park frequently, but am unsure whether or not it is a restricted area for carrying?

University City isn't the safest place. When I was at Penn, we had a ton of robberies, including some people I knew. Good luck.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Imagine going to a college in Baltimore city where you can't even get a carry lisc...

Hmm yeah I did some stupid things too, but I had a big dog as well.

No prob on the FL lisc, I am waiting on mine now. I figure end of august to early sept, earlier if I am lucky. I know some people get them in 45-60 days. Depends on the backlog, as it seems "everyone" is getting FL lisc's these days. Too bad I can't use it in my own home state! Grrr I hate MD gov't! Well I do about everything in PA anyway.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Montgomery County)

Question Re: Florida Non-Resident Carry Permit

I am a South Jersey resident (yes, we are way different than "jersey" - we really do need to succeed from the rest of the state...)
    How is it different, besides being preceded by the word "South?"

Have you considered a washable belly pack holster, like this one?

http://www.desantisholster.com/r71.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlownNitroPontiac View Post
    How is it different, besides being preceded by the word "South?"

Have you considered a washable belly pack holster, like this one?

http://www.desantisholster.com/r71.html
    How is it different? I'll put it to you this way. My GF went to a college in what the people living in the area would call "south jersey". Most of the people there did not know the difference between a cow and a horse, or a bull and a steer. That is the difference between North and South Jersey. My family runs concessions at the Cowtown Rodeo every saturday night. Only weekly running rodeo on the eastern coast. We're just different down here

Not really liking the idea of carrying a belly pack. Not my style, but thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    Yes. Pennsylvania will honor Florida's permit for Conceal carry. If you plan on open carrying in Philadelphia, the police may take umbrage at your out of state license. Doubtless, your school will. Be **DAMNED** sure you know what the schools weapons policy is.

Just to be clear: I can open carry in Pennsylvania when I get my FL non-resident permit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast