Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Mike and Kates sporting goods

I have been there probably 200 times in the last 13 years, have givin them over $15,000 in business, Mike even knows my name when I walk in, and smiles cause he knows I dont leave empty handed.

Well anyways heres my beef.

I went there asking him to install an underfolder on my Yugo AK that had been removed, I had all the parts he needed to do the job. I asked him how much it would cost,, he told me around $200!!!! I said are you serious?? He then tells me its a very complicated thing to do and it would take several hours to complete, I told him no thanks and I would attempt to do it myself,, he laughed and said "good luck, you'll be back for me to do it".

Well I took it home, looked it up on the net and reinstalled it myself in 20 mins.

After 13 years of going there and giving this man my money, I will never go back again for anything....
    I understand times are tough, but you don't try and screw over a customer who has been loyal to your establishment for over a decade... It's just not right.

Figured I'd just spread the word..
    After WW3, only roaches will survive, and they will live in steel AK mags.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Mike and Kates sporting goods

Probably didn't want the job. There are things over the years where I've had people tell me they didn't want the job and others say the same thing with an outrageous price. Ask any gunsmith if he has ever gotten burned on a job? Everyone of them will give you more than a few stories of repairs that took a day instead of the hour they thought it would.

(Chester County)

Shame. Just shows you cannot trust anybody, not even someone whom you've been dealing with for a long time. I gotta laugh at those mom and pop joints that pull this kind of nonsense. They act as if you need them more than they need you. Trust me you are better off. I will go to a gunsmith as an absolute last resort. Most of the things on a gun can be done yourself with a little knowledge and the ability to turn a screwdriver. I've redone stocks, installed scopes, repaired sights, replaced flashhiders, etc. Yeah on something that requires a pro like seating a barrel in an action, etc, I'd go to them , but for the small stuff, its down the basement to the workbench I go.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by OrionBricks View Post
    I have been there probably 200 times in the last 13 years, have givin them over $15,000 in business, Mike even knows my name when I walk in, and smiles cause he knows I dont leave empty handed.

Well anyways heres my beef.

I went there asking him to install an underfolder on my Yugo AK that had been removed, I had all the parts he needed to do the job. I asked him how much it would cost,, he told me around $200!!!! I said are you serious?? He then tells me its a very complicated thing to do and it would take several hours to complete, I told him no thanks and I would attempt to do it myself,, he laughed and said "good luck, you'll be back for me to do it".

Well I took it home, looked it up on the net and reinstalled it myself in 20 mins.

After 13 years of going there and giving this man my money, I will never go back again for anything....
    I understand times are tough, but you don't try and screw over a customer who has been loyal to your establishment for over a decade... It's just not right.

Figured I'd just spread the word..
    I live within Five minutes of Mike and Kate’s and I never buy anything in there. I think he's out of his mind, He wanted to charge me 500 bucks for a used shotgun I could get new for about 375.00. I guess he think were stupid. I don't know how he survives their? I’ve been in their more than a few times just talking and looking around and I never see anyone buying anything.
    Gt

(Northampton County)

If he didn't want the job,he should have just said so & perhaps recommended someone who might want to do it. Charging 10$ a minute to a longtime customer was just stupid. I'm thinking another shop/smith will welcome the revenue.

This goofball either had too big of an ego to say I don't want to do it or just got stupid with greed. The "stupid with greed" seems fairly commom with small business.

I've found over the years that the more business you do with someone, and the more "friendly" relationship you cultivate with them, the more they stab you in the back.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    I've found over the years that the more business you do with someone, and the more "friendly" relationship you cultivate with them, the more they stab you in the back.

Very true and it again boils down to the shopowner's attitude that we the customers need them more than they need us. Well that attitude needs to change and the way to do that is just what you are doing here, putting out the word that this place blows. I refuse to shop in any store like that. Once i get vibes that mom and pop are greedy ba%tards, I never go back.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    Not all shops are like that. We have never intenionally screwed someone over nor would I ever think about doing it. You dont stay in buisness that way. I installed an underfolder on a Yugo about 3 months ago for $25. I thought it would take me about 20 mins but it took about 4 .hours
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

(Bucks County)

When I lived in city I used to go there all the time and Mike (the father) would always hook me up. I have heard the son is a little cocky. I haven't been there in years because it's not worth the drive and the extra 1% sales tax.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

Just curious, was it clear to the shop owner that he was re-installing an underfolder on a receiver that already had one, or did he think he was adding an underfolder to a fixed-stock receiver?

Cutting the precision holes and notches would take a while, and might easily be worth $200. But re-installing an underfolder to an existing hole just takes a parts diagram, a couple of flat punches, a hammer, and 10 minutes. Big difference.

If he wanted $200 to slip the parts in, then I'd never go back. There are people who will screw you, and people who won't, and once they identify which type they are, you'd be a fool to ignore it.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast