Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Level of Interest In Flush Fit Magazine Extension for 18 1/2" 870?

If I were hypothetically able to provide a 6 3/4" magazine tube extension for 12 gauge Remington 870s, what level of interest would there be? What I do is cut an existing extension down to the desired length and refinish it to match the matte black 870. Tacstar, Choate, Wilson Combat, Vang Comp and the rest can only offer you a 6+1 capacity in the 18 1/2" configuration. The extra 3/4" not only will bring the magazine flush with the muzzle and make the gun more aesthetically appealing, it will allow you fit that 7th round into the magazine. This brings your total capacity up to 8. Pretty much what MAX100 was doing before he disappeared and ripped a bunch of people off.

This is my 870 with the custom length extension. This was done with a Tacstar 5 round kit and has been 100% reliable for over two years now. Their prices have gone way up ever since though I'm considering doing the next custom extension with a Choate tube. Thoughts?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Level of Interest In Flush Fit Magazine Extension for 18 1/2" 870?

Since my 870 is limited to two in the tube, I'd be interested.

(Beaver County)

I was messing with the Choate extension on my 930 earlier and had a few thoughts on it. I like that the cap is removable because I can reuse it and that saves me a lot of time after it's cut to a different length. The cap is a 1/2" thick piece of black plastic. It's not hollow so that does take away a bit of space that could be used for spring compression (and it also means slightly less room for ammunition). The plus side is that because it's plastic, it can easily be modified. Specifically, I can drill out the hole in the center of it to make it large enough for a cleaning rod to pass through. This will make it easier to keep the inside of the extension clean without actually having to remove the cap. I also think the grip texture is better on the base of the Choate extension than the Tacstar extensions.

(Beaver County)

I got my Choate extension kit! I ordered a +4 tube that measured 10 1/4 inches for this project. I used my pipe cutter to shorten it to 6 3/4 inches, refinished it and reused the Choate cap after making some modifications to it. I used a sanding attachment in my power drill to flatten to cap and enlarged the hole in the center so a cleaning rod will fit through. I also decided to redo my custom Tacstar extension. It needed to be shortened by 1/8 inch because it extended too far beyond the muzzle when I use the GG&G rail mount. I ruined the finish while cutting it so I stripped it down to bare steel and put a new finish on it.

This Choate extension is a really high quality piece. The spring it came with is very strong and felt like an improvement even over the Nordic Components and Wolff springs I've been using. It had a great finish (unfortunate that I had to ruin it with the pipe cutter) and feels very solid. The biggest improvement over the Tacstar extension is the aggressive texture on the magazine cap. The Choate extension is much easier to get really tight by hand but then also take off without an unusual amount of effort.

These are the finished products.

I took a few more pictures now that the finishes are done. I will be modest and simply say that I am very, very pleased with myself.

This is the Tacstar extension I recapped and refinished. Measures a perfect 6 3/4" and has a hollow steel cap for maximum space inside the magazine and a flush fit with 18 1/2" barrel. Again, I am very pleased with how this turned out.

well done, just needs a bayonet lug and you're golden!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyroofy View Post
    well done, just needs a bayonet lug and you're golden!
    Having 7+1 00Buck at the ready and I won't feel outgunned short of an AK. I think shotguns have been dimished at least in ppl's minds regarding their firepower, with ppl going for handguns for HD.
    With this extension and removing the steel slug, weight should improve for my setup.
    Last edited by Sparxfly72; April 16th, 2014 at 07:06 AM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    Having 5+1 00Buck at the ready and I won't feel outgunned short of an AK. I think shotguns have been dimished at least in ppl's minds regarding their firepower, with ppl going for handguns for HD.
    With this extension and removing the steel slug, weight should improve for my setup.
    I shipped it earlier today. Post some pictures when you get it. Let me know what you think.

(Bucks County)

The extension arrived today. I cut the spring to 29" and assembled. Looks great. I can only fit six in the tube, but it functions fine and I'm good with it. Thanks dude!
    Last edited by Sparxfly72; April 17th, 2014 at 06:03 PM.

(Bucks County)

Curious, How much are you charging?
    Also alot of Pardner pumps could use this.
    Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    The extension arrived today. I cut the spring to 29" and assembled. Looks great. I can only fit six in the tube, but it functions fine and I'm good with it. Thanks dude!
    Glad to hear that you like it! I really appreciate you taking an interest in my extension.

Carwash, I didn't plan on making any more of them because I haven't had much interest in the project to this point. I contacted Choate tonight to ask about a hypothetical bulk buy discount and once I hear back I will let you know. The tube I sold to Sparxfly was at cost because he was the only one who expressed any interest initially.