Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Firearms > Shotguns

Notices

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old October 9th, 2011, 10:32 AM

(Snyder County)
deere76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shotgun for a turkey shoot

what is a good shotgun to use at a turkey shoot. i have used my mossberg 835 and 500 neither one holds a decent pattern with an x full or a turkey choke. confused

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old October 9th, 2011, 10:38 AM

(Crawford County)
weavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond reputeweavagra has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to weavagra
Default Re: shotgun for a turkey shoot

Xfull turkey choke will distort lead shot and open up the pattern. Stick with a full choke and either gun should do fine.
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Grand Member

thefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond reputethefirstndsecond has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavagra View Post
Xfull turkey choke will distort lead shot and open up the pattern. Stick with a full choke and either gun should do fine.
That all depends on the shot, the choke and the gun.

My 1187 supermag shoots great with primos jelly head and remington nitro mag turkey loads. 3.5 inch

The mossbergs are usually back bored for better shot alignment in the barrel before it exits the gun.

You will have to find out what shot they want people to use and how far you will be shooting. Some turkey shoots only allow everyone to use the same shot.

FOAC; NRA Endowment Member
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

Those screw in chokes that are very "tight" have a too abrupt of a change in bore diameter which causes what weavagra mentioned above.

To keep from having such shot distortion you need a long taper to tighten the shot column instead of the very abrupt change right near the muzzle. You will often find that Full or Modified will have a tighter pattern with screw in chokes than X-Full or any of the Turkey chokes because of that. This is where a fix choke barrel really shines when using super tight chokes. The constriction can start right near the end of the chamber and make a long taper to the muzzle forcing the shot in the cup to move up into a longer column instead of squeezing it together and denting each pellet up, which then causes patterns to fly apart.
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

(Jefferson County)
knight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond reputeknight0334 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to knight0334 Send a message via AIM to knight0334 Send a message via MSN to knight0334 Send a message via Yahoo to knight0334

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
That all depends on the shot, the choke and the gun.

My 1187 supermag shoots great with primos jelly head and remington nitro mag turkey loads. 3.5 inch

The mossbergs are usually back bored for better shot alignment in the barrel before it exits the gun.

You will have to find out what shot they want people to use and how far you will be shooting. Some turkey shoots only allow everyone to use the same shot.
Every turkey shoot I've been to since the 1980's gave you your shell so that everyone shoots the same.
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM

(Snyder County)
deere76 is an unknown quantity at this point

what is one of the best out of the box shootin guns
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:58 PM

(Mercer County)
MOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond reputeMOUNTAINORACLE has a reputation beyond repute

I have had my "old school" BT-99 outlawed at my Turkey Shoots over the years. The old BT and the shells provide at the shoots are a winning combination.
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:24 AM

(Cambria County)
Bradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond reputeBradster has a reputation beyond repute

If this is something you are going to do for a while i would say find yourself an old Marlin Goose Gun. Full choke 36 inch barrel. I used to shoot turkey shoots a lot, and had a few guns built for that purpose with high power scopes and so on, but the there were a lot of places that stated the gun had to be "factory". The Marlin Goose Gun was the ticket for those shoots as well as winning a lot of the "modified" shoots.
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:20 PM

(Northumberland County)
EODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond reputeEODguy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: shotgun for a turkey shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
If this is something you are going to do for a while i would say find yourself an old Marlin Goose Gun. Full choke 36 inch barrel. I used to shoot turkey shoots a lot, and had a few guns built for that purpose with high power scopes and so on, but the there were a lot of places that stated the gun had to be "factory". The Marlin Goose Gun was the ticket for those shoots as well as winning a lot of the "modified" shoots.
^^^ You got that right, I used a stock Goose Gun for a few shoots at the Millersburg Rod and Gun always went home with a nice ham. Ugly as hell but it works almost every time, and they are cheap if you find one.