Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
HB2011 and HB1243 Updates

So far, there hasn't been a 2nd Consideration vote on either of these bills. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PRESSURE, and continue to contact our legislators - ask them to tell House leadership to bring these bills to a vote! Ask them to vote YES on HB2011, and NO on the Universal Background Check amendment. In addition, the FOAC is requesting support for an amendment proposed to HB1243 (Mental Health Records for Firearms Purchases) that, if passed, will allow HB1243 to restore firearm rights to those who have recovered from a mental illness.

For more information and updates on these efforts,
CLICK HERE

For legislator contact information,
CLICK HERE

Go Back   Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Discussion Forum > Discussion > Where to (or not to) Spend Money > Shops

Notices

Shops Know of a shop with competetive prices? Have a bad experience with someone else? Post here so people can make informed choices.

PAFOA Sponsors Businesses that provide financial and technical support to PAFOA. PAFOA Shopping Partners A percentage of all sales made through these partner links goes to PAFOA.
Arms Dealer Logo

Arms Dealer — Free Firearm Classifieds, Gun Shop & Shooting Range Reviews

Arms Dealer is your one-stop shop for free firearm classifieds, gun shop & shooting range reviews.

Join today to start buying, selling and reviewing!

Old April 6th, 2010

Seabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Firearms Retail Markup

Sorry if this is not the right forum - it seemed to be.

Anyone have any idea of how much a "medium" sized gun store, (not big like Cabela's and not a small "mom & pop" shop) marks up their new firearms over cost?

I know that different dealers get different price structures from manufacturers but does anyone have rough order of magnitude? Is it 5-10% 15-20% greater than 20 or 30% over cost?

I know that used guys sell for a very high mark up. I was wondering what it is for new guns.

Thanks
Seabee CO

Thanks for visiting our forum! If you ever plan to return you should consider quickly registering for a forum account, especially if you're in Pennsylvania. It's simple to do and best of all free. Once registered you'll be able to participate in our discussions and keep up to date on issues important to Pennsylvania firearm owners!

Old April 6th, 2010

(York County)
45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute45Badger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Firearms Retail Markup

Way too many variables to answer that. Each shop/dealer has different behaviors and needs. One thing to keep in mind is that stores put dollars in the bank, not percentages. Shops that put the same percentage mark up on every item are foolish (IMO) because they price themselves out of low end sales and don't make enough return on invested capital on their high end sales.

Common guns (Glocks, XDs, etc) tend to be treated as commodities and almost everybody has to compete on price to sell them. As a data point my local (small) shop marks up everything $30. His price for a new Glock 26 is $470. I've seen them around the area from $489 to $535. His flat mark up get's him plenty of business, but he is losing significant margin opportunity on higher priced guns.
Old April 6th, 2010

(Montgomery County)
Seneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca Arms Co. Inc. has a reputation beyond repute

on average I make $40-$50 on most new guns. The markup on new firearms is terribly low and it makes me grind my teeth when someone asks me for a better deal on a $600 gun that I am making $40 on.
Old April 7th, 2010
Super Moderator

Noah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond reputeNoah_Zark has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca Arms Co. Inc. View Post
on average I make $40-$50 on most new guns. The markup on new firearms is terribly low and it makes me grind my teeth when someone asks me for a better deal on a $600 gun that I am making $40 on.

+1. I do some light gun repairs in-store for a few local gun shops, and Seneca Arms is spot-on.

Markup on new guns is market-driven, and kept low. The MSRPs for guns are posted all over the internet and in print, as are so-called "wholesale" prices for the same guns. Customers only want to pay "wholesale" prices, and that means the markup on a new gun is around $30-$50. Out of that has to come wages, payroll taxes, rent/lease/morgage, property taxes, inventory taxes, utilities, phone and internet, shipping, and now Obamacare. Gotta sell a LOT of new guns every day to make it happen.

That's why shops and dealers offer 50% to 60% the market value when buying used guns. That's where they they make their gross margin before expenses. Used gun turnover and sales of scopes, bases, gun cases, etc., are what keeps gun shops open.

Noah
Old April 7th, 2010

Seabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond reputeSeabee CO has a reputation beyond repute

Seneca Arms,

Thank you. Myself and two of my friends were in your shop for the first time two months back after coming from a local disappointing auction. I found your shop to be well stocked and you friendly and professional. I hope I can get out that way again.

Seabee CO
Old April 7th, 2010

(Lancaster County)
winger is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on getting to know a few of the shop owners in my area over the years,
I'd say Noah Zark's comments echo what they've told me.