Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default floor acess to used long guns at Cabela's

Guys and Gals, I'm not a big poster but a big listener. I had the worst day at Hamberg, PA's Cabela's store and I need to share because I basically had a muzzle jammed in my face today by folks that thing guns are toys to play with in store and are also many used as photographic props.

This is the text of my customer survey I sent to Cabela's to explain my concerns.

First off, I always enjoy going to your stores and I like to bring friends along to share the good experience. The unfortunate story I have to tell about todays visit may keep me out of your stores unless there is some policy change regarding floor access to the used long guns. It would seem to most customers, that the rifles are there for "fun" or for taking "selfies" and other forms of photography, with NO REGARD TO SAFE FIREARM HANDLEING, this included pointing of rifles at other customers and at me and with said rifle shouldered to the handler of the weapon.

You do not have control over the actions of others and I fully understand this fact, but you do have control over your employees.
    When I brought my concerns about what we going on, I was told that there was to many customers and not enough staff to keep people from engaging in this behavior. Immediately I left for check out because I no longer felt your store represented my values in safe firearm ownership and handling.

All of this concerns me very much. Firearm owners are under scrutiny and attack from media and political outlets on a daily basis and allowing activity's like the one I witnessed will do nothing to help foster further firearm ownership in a positive way. It is our own duty to police ourselves and hold each other to a higher standard, after all it is our personal freedom and rights at stake.

Mr. Lance Albert Wysong

Am I off base?
    Last edited by 4clicksinCOLT; November 16th, 2014 at 11:32 PM.
    4clicksinCOLT

(Berks County)

Default Re: floor acess to used long guns at Cabela's

I've slapped more than one barrel from out of my face at cabelas and flipped out on one who had it pointed at my daughter at the age of 4. That one got ugly fast until a manager got involved. Also had it happen/seen it happen at gunshows, dicks, Walmart, and more than a few mom and pop shops. Myself I'm more likely to go to shops like cabelas, shydas, etc that have the long guns out and easily seen than the shops with everything behind a counter were i have to compete for a salesman to turn the ticket on a rifle to see what the caliber and price is. More a big deal on used guns where there might only be the one instead of say a new Savage that they will have in multiple calibers.

You say we need to police our selves after complaining the store isn't policing us. I've never had a problem standing up for myself maybe some are that good at that, but I'd rather risk hurting someone's feelings than having a gun in my face.

(Chester County)

SJL, What I meant by policing our selves is holding others accountable around us, and you make a point to addresses your own personal situation in a similar circumstance to mine, is what I was talking about. I'm more disappointed with the staffs b.s. response.

Hey, thanks for your feed back.
    4clicksinCOLT

4clicks the first thing you should have done was say something to the offender acting like an Ass! I would not have taken that lightly and would have made the offender quite aware of what I thought about careless gun handling. Its nice to see that you sent off a letter, however IMO it will fall on deaf ears....
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Its nice to see that you sent off a letter, however IMO it will fall on deaf ears....
    Two managers from the store contacted me yesterday, and Joe from The gun Library absolutely agreed with me. At the least they have people that are aware of what goes on some times. Thanks Joe!
    4clicksinCOLT

(Chester County)

Situation is no different at the Christiana Cabelas....I can't tell you how many times I've seen those who are not even old enough to buy ammo swinging around muzzles like they're playing Call of Duty. Frustrating, unsettling, and unnecessary.

I think it was great that you sent off that letter and even better that you actually got a response. I, personally, have taken to quietly hoping someone smacks some sense into these idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0bo1d6dWO4

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4clicksinCOLT View Post
    Guys and Gals, I'm not a big poster but a big listener. I had the worst day at Hamberg, PA's Cabela's store and I need to share because I basically had a muzzle jammed in my face today by folks that thing guns are toys to play with in store and are also many used as photographic props.

This is the text of my customer survey I sent to Cabela's to explain my concerns.

First off, I always enjoy going to your stores and I like to bring friends along to share the good experience. The unfortunate story I have to tell about todays visit may keep me out of your stores unless there is some policy change regarding floor access to the used long guns. It would seem to most customers, that the rifles are there for "fun" or for taking "selfies" and other forms of photography, with NO REGARD TO SAFE FIREARM HANDLEING, this included pointing of rifles at other customers and at me and with said rifle shouldered to the handler of the weapon.

You do not have control over the actions of others and I fully understand this fact, but you do have control over your employees.
    When I brought my concerns about what we going on, I was told that there was to many customers and not enough staff to keep people from engaging in this behavior. Immediately I left for check out because I no longer felt your store represented my values in safe firearm ownership and handling.

All of this concerns me very much. Firearm owners are under scrutiny and attack from media and political outlets on a daily basis and allowing activity's like the one I witnessed will do nothing to help foster further firearm ownership in a positive way. It is our own duty to police ourselves and hold each other to a higher standard, after all it is our personal freedom and rights at stake.

Mr. Lance Albert Wysong

Am I off base?
    No, you are not. I feel the same way. Unfortunately, this type of behavior happens at many big box stores. You'll never see it at LGS. Possibly because the clerks at the big box stores don't know crap, not even the most basic safety rules.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    No, you are not. I feel the same way. Unfortunately, this type of behavior happens at many big box stores. You'll never see it at LGS. Possibly because the clerks at the big box stores don't know crap, not even the most basic safety rules.
    Never seen that happen at a Dunham's, Aces, Island Firearms, Big Bucks, the Gander Mtns where the guns are "out there", same at National Armory, the stores in other states I've been to, or even Dicks way back when.

"Clerks" always have half an eye on you.

Maybe if Corporate Cabelas hired enough people to staff the used gun aisles with "can I help you" - that wouldn't happen.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

Quote Originally Posted by 4clicksinCOLT View Post
    Two managers from the store contacted me yesterday, and Joe from The gun Library absolutely agreed with me. At the least they have people that are aware of what goes on some times. Thanks Joe!
    I thought you sent your letter to Corporate. So if they are aware what do they intend to do about it? Did you send a Letter to corporate?
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Never seen that happen at a Dunham's, Aces, Island Firearms, Big Bucks, the Gander Mtns where the guns are "out there", same at National Armory, the stores in other states I've been to, or even Dicks way back when.

"Clerks" always have half an eye on you.

Maybe if Corporate Cabelas hired enough people to staff the used gun aisles with "can I help you" - that wouldn't happen.
    My experience with these stores, it doesn't matter how many people they hire, the clerks will still stand around bullshitting amongst themselves while ignoring the people. The problem isn't with the number of staff, the problem with employees that just don't give a shit.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast